gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:23:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Leaf to reissue California Myth  (Read 12102 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 08:30:57 AM »

I was highly anticipating this as one of the very first things I read about the BB's was the 1985 version, which cemented my fandom that year at age 17.  Having received and read latest version over the weekend, I have to say I am disappointed.  Besides Leaf beating his own chest about how great the first book was (it was), my biggest letdown was the total absence of discussion on Brian's relationships with the group since 1985.  For instance, the aborted 1995 Don Was recording sessions is not even mentioned. The entire C50 negotiations, tour, album and aftermath (arguably the biggest event in the Beach Boys world sine the last version of this book) received a total of 1 sentence. What is there is good, I  was just hoping for a lot more.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
atp
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 06:37:31 PM »

Having read the book, I suspect that the reasons C50, etc., weren't mentioned, was because, as the author made clear, the scope of the update was going to be limited to what he had more firsthand knowledge of. This becomes especially true during the time period that C50 would have fallen under, because he had serious matters in his own personal life to deal with, and that had to take priority. The update wasn't going to be a brand new biography as such, because, as he wrote, he felt that he was documenting Brian pretty much year-by-year in real time for awhile with the projects he was involved with.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »

My copy came today--kudos to David for a very judicious yet still extremely satisfying coda to his earlier work. Stripping the original book down to the text has the effect of adding more weight to those words, and while there are (ahem) folks who will always take issue with David's unabashed exaltation of Brian, it must be said that without the original book and the ministrations that he and others provided, what we've all enjoyed (and agonized about) over the past quarter century would never have occurred. Had Brian become another "rock'n'roll casualty," I think Mike and Bruce would have been out of business, and the band would be seen in a much different light than has become the case. Let's get down to cases: Brian's survival is the most prominent reason why the band and its (primarily his) music is so revered today--his ability to overcome his demons is a powerful part of the entire narrative.

David may not have been the ace researcher or musical analyst in the pantheon of Beach Boys/Brian Wilson experts who've evolved over the past forty years, but he was essential to creating an environment where all of that could flourish. By "going inside," he helped to make things happen that clearly would never have come to pass otherwise.

As for what he didn't talk about, atp nails many of the reasons why such is the case. Additionally, I suspect that David knows about the factions that have grown up amidst Beach Boys fans and he (wisely, IMO) decided to pull back on material that would fan those flames any further. C50 is really a dead issue, except for those who are invested in "shifting the blame"--and David's involvement in that was, as noted, minimal. As it is, some of the cranks across at the NFP are clucking at him for his nineteen-year-old over-enthusiasm in peppering Mike Love with questions, as if it is a revelation of some telling character flaw. I commend David for revealing such "flaws" to us as he shows how his own perspective on life has grown over the years--and I'm especially glad to read more quotes from Debbie Keil, whose presence here is sorely missed.

Congratulations to a man of many accomplishments for a very satisfying coda to a story with a happier narrative arc than many of us care to admit. As for the larger picture: Brian's music may not be able to save the world, but it will always offer joy and solace to us no matter what happens. We are lucky to have it with us whenever we need it, and it will never let us down.
jonathan anderle
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »

I hope people are enjoying the book. I'm glad that we have a color version of my father's painting in it this time around and I was very happy to contribute the handwritten Smile-era Brian note that I inherited from pop as well.

The original edition was obviously very personally meaningful to me and it's great that it is once again widely available, in addition to being significantly enhanced.

Congratulations to David.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 01:28:18 PM »

Going to start reading it tonight and continue over the weekend. I've never read it so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 03:11:12 PM »

Having read the book, I suspect that the reasons C50, etc., weren't mentioned, was because, as the author made clear, the scope of the update was going to be limited to what he had more firsthand knowledge of. This becomes especially true during the time period that C50 would have fallen under, because he had serious matters in his own personal life to deal with, and that had to take priority. The update wasn't going to be a brand new biography as such, because, as he wrote, he felt that he was documenting Brian pretty much year-by-year in real time for awhile with the projects he was involved with.

I understand why that is the case, but still disappointing to me.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Got the book via Kindle a few days ago, and I'm on the chapter covering the post-Smile era in the late 1960s. Superb read.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 05:41:58 PM »

I hope people are enjoying the book. I'm glad that we have a color version of my father's painting in it this time around and I was very happy to contribute the handwritten Smile-era Brian note that I inherited from pop as well.

The original edition was obviously very personally meaningful to me and it's great that it is once again widely available, in addition to being significantly enhanced.

Congratulations to David.

Thank you for your contribution, and yes having the portrait in color is fantastic for fans who haven't seen it in such detail. I'm hoping at some point, in some project to come, that a full set of color photos from LAX, October '66 is also made available to fans. Those airport photos represent to me one of the most creative and exciting times in the entire saga. And your Dad was one of those who showed Brian Wilson support and love for him and his art and creativity when he really needed it, many thanks to him and friends like Michael Vosse for being there and doing what he did with and for Brian.

The book is a must-read. For all those trying to dismiss the book and David himself because they don't like some of the hard truths told in the book, I know fans who read it will make up their own minds and enjoy a fantastic read, despite the naysayers and character assassins currently trying to rewrite history.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:54:11 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »

I received David's book last Thursday and have now read and reviewed it on Amazon. IMO it's essential reading for anyone who loves Brian Wilson's and The Beach Boys' music. The Beach Boys and the California Myth was probably the first serious book on the band and certainly the first to tell Brian's side of the story rather than to subscribe to the convenient myth that Brian's problems were all of his own making, through drug use and mental health issues. The book is fair and honest; it does not sensationalise the story but shows considerable integrity. Immense insight into Brian's life and personality, and the 2022 update, mainly focusing on David's work with and for Brian, ends on such a positive note in comparison to the earlier editions.

David quotes Bruce Johnston who apparently said of some of the people around Brian 'If they couldn't swim, they'd rather take a shower than take a chance'. It does seem to show that Brian suffered from lack of support. That lack of support certainly doesn't apply to David. But if he has championed Brian, he has done it entirely honourably, as befits a champion.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:26:17 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »

Welcome to you, Angela. The reviews at Amazon UK for David's book are all 5-star, including one from AGD (a fact that doesn't seem to have fully registered over at the NFP).
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2022, 11:27:43 PM »

Welcome to you, Angela. The reviews at Amazon UK for David's book are all 5-star, including one from AGD (a fact that doesn't seem to have fully registered over at the NFP).

Thanks Don! I did used to post here as Ang but had to re-register because of problems logging in.

I noticed AGD's review and did accept it as helpful (though he did have to get in his 50 years as a historian...!). I seem to remember his having rather mixed feelings about the original edition of the book but perhaps he has revised those opinions.... I think the accusations of anti-Mike bias in California Myth were really over-stated. David was IMO trying to balance the gaslighting of Brian Wilson, not that he ever used that word of course. Claim it's the drugs and mental illness and it's easy to dismiss a person. Not that I am suggesting that drugs and mental illness weren't a part of it... just not the ONLY part.  The 2022 update is scrupulously fair - the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the C50: had David wanted to go for Mike he had plenty of ammunition! I can understand why he didn't go down this road. It would have been counter-productive anyway, just given the naysayers an opportunity to dismiss David. I'm glad that David suggested various Google searches so that people could find out for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 08:48:49 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2022, 09:00:18 AM »

I am somehat confused. Are there photographs in this print? I am reading about the Anderle painting in color, but also about how it is text only.
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2022, 09:34:10 AM »

I am somehat confused. Are there photographs in this print? I am reading about the Anderle painting in color, but also about how it is text only.

There are some photographs but not all of those that were in the first edition. Mainly text.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »

Add David Leaf to the EH board shitlist…. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2022, 09:10:10 PM »

Mmm...not really. At least, not yet. There appears to be fallout because David has decided to bypass a visit to our fine feathered friends there after seeing how things played out with Howie. But the BBCGRS* reading is only at 4.4 at this point, as opposed to the Loma Prieta level they achieved with Howie. (The "big one," of course, occurred here, which permanently created the BB chat group version of the San Andreas Fault...)

Oh, and BTW...that thread over there called "Over at Smiley" where AGD had posted a clandestine lament about the events that had transpired with Howie...has been disappeared from the board.  Having had a sneaking hunch that this might happen, I made a point of copying that entry over into a Word file just in case. Here is the text:

"Exactly. I've been a "hard" fan since summer 1975 and though I never thought it would happen, the events of the last few weeks/months have just sucked all the joy out of it for me. I'm close to done with this band, at least to the extent I have been. I posted my thoughts on the latest release here at the time. As for Howie, he's been doing his job, and very well: he's all over the 'net and while he's not been single-handedly responsible for the reboot hitting the Top 30, that's got to have been a factor. But, some elected to focus on individual sentences instead of the overall message, and we lost what could have been a huge asset to this forum. So he didn't post much: 396 people who've registered with this board since it began haven't posted at all. That's almost exactly half. How many posts anyone makes is a meaningless metric (look at my posting total for proof of that). I need to work out how, or if, I can make all this fun for myself again and right now, with the added joy of there being new members who seem to have come here with the express intent of stirring it, I'm not seeing it. Some will see this as a good thing, and they could well be right. Time to regroup and reconsider. Back in my 30s I had a tshirt that said "I'm too old to have to put up with all this sh*t". If only I'd known..."

These are clearly the scattered, despairing laments of someone who knows that some real political damage occurred in that thread. And if I hadn't seen AGD relentlessly and remorselessly go after Lorren Daro's jugular here some years back, I'd probably be able to muster some sympathy for him, since he certainly wasn't close to being the main instigator of that firestorm. And we will continue to admire and use Bellagio10452 with the hope that all of this fallout will not cause it to disappear in a fashion similar to the post above.

This isn't meant as gloating--this is all sad stuff. In the meantime, I urge those who don't want to wait for the US release of David's book to purchase it from Amazon UK in whatever format they feel they can afford. While the price for the UK print edition is certainly not cheap, I can tell you that it's worth every penny/shilling/pound/dollar and more.

---
*BBCGRS = "Beach Boy Chat Group Richter Scale"
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2022, 03:16:27 AM »

Mmm...not really. At least, not yet. There appears to be fallout because David has decided to bypass a visit to our fine feathered friends there after seeing how things played out with Howie. But the BBCGRS* reading is only at 4.4 at this point, as opposed to the Loma Prieta level they achieved with Howie. (The "big one," of course, occurred here, which permanently created the BB chat group version of the San Andreas Fault...)

Oh, and BTW...that thread over there called "Over at Smiley" where AGD had posted a clandestine lament about the events that had transpired with Howie...has been disappeared from the board.  Having had a sneaking hunch that this might happen, I made a point of copying that entry over into a Word file just in case. Here is the text:

"Exactly. I've been a "hard" fan since summer 1975 and though I never thought it would happen, the events of the last few weeks/months have just sucked all the joy out of it for me. I'm close to done with this band, at least to the extent I have been. I posted my thoughts on the latest release here at the time. As for Howie, he's been doing his job, and very well: he's all over the 'net and while he's not been single-handedly responsible for the reboot hitting the Top 30, that's got to have been a factor. But, some elected to focus on individual sentences instead of the overall message, and we lost what could have been a huge asset to this forum. So he didn't post much: 396 people who've registered with this board since it began haven't posted at all. That's almost exactly half. How many posts anyone makes is a meaningless metric (look at my posting total for proof of that). I need to work out how, or if, I can make all this fun for myself again and right now, with the added joy of there being new members who seem to have come here with the express intent of stirring it, I'm not seeing it. Some will see this as a good thing, and they could well be right. Time to regroup and reconsider. Back in my 30s I had a tshirt that said "I'm too old to have to put up with all this sh*t". If only I'd known..."

These are clearly the scattered, despairing laments of someone who knows that some real political damage occurred in that thread. And if I hadn't seen AGD relentlessly and remorselessly go after Lorren Daro's jugular here some years back, I'd probably be able to muster some sympathy for him, since he certainly wasn't close to being the main instigator of that firestorm. And we will continue to admire and use Bellagio10452 with the hope that all of this fallout will not cause it to disappear in a fashion similar to the post above.

This isn't meant as gloating--this is all sad stuff. In the meantime, I urge those who don't want to wait for the US release of David's book to purchase it from Amazon UK in whatever format they feel they can afford. While the price for the UK print edition is certainly not cheap, I can tell you that it's worth every penny/shilling/pound/dollar and more.

---
*BBCGRS = "Beach Boy Chat Group Richter Scale"

As usual you are wrong. Your hunch is full of crap. The over at smiley thread has not nor never was deleted. It was moved. Moved to forum feedback. In all its glory. Save space on your computer and delete that word file. Not needed. You can find andrew’s post there anytime you wanna look. And for someone who likes to say you hate the eh board you sure seem to spend a lot of time going there. Witty you are not.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 03:18:28 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2022, 07:54:07 AM »

Thank you Angela for the info about the photographs.
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2022, 08:25:47 AM »

Thank you Angela for the info about the photographs.

You are welcome.

The photographs in the centre of the book are in colour and those that appear amongst the text are in black and white.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2022, 09:17:30 AM »

As usual you are wrong. Your hunch is full of crap. The over at smiley thread has not nor never was deleted. It was moved. Moved to forum feedback. In all its glory. Save space on your computer and delete that word file. Not needed. You can find andrew’s post there anytime you wanna look. And for someone who likes to say you hate the eh board you sure seem to spend a lot of time going there. Witty you are not.

Steve, it might as well be disappeared, given that "Forum Feedback" is about as far from the mainstream material on the board as one can get. And the moderator has seen fit to lock it for a second time (and hopefully this time it will stay locked!).

And, as is often the case, you fail to address the salient points made elsewhere in the post and remind us that you continue to manifest only intermittent control over "reptilian brain" functions when posting either here or over there.

And you'd be surprised (chagrined?) to discover just how witty some of the folk over at the NFP think I am, when they provide likes for my posts over there under my alias--including, IIRC, you yourself.

If that revelation makes folks over there more paranoid...well, it can't be helped.

Meanwhile, folks here might be interested to see AGD's review of David's book. It's a good one, and is part of the growing praise for David's highly satisfying "full circle" performance as captured in the new volume. Here is what he had to say:

"I bought both previous editions of this when they were published in 1978 & 1985 respectively, so the news that some 37 years later it was being updated was hugely welcomed. Was it worth the wait ? Yes, very much so. Anyone who claims to be a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan of any hue needs to read this book. Comprising the full text of both the original version and the later update (so in essence you're getting three books in one), and an extensive update covering the years 1985-2022, this view of the complex world of Brian Wilson from the inside is rarely less than revelatory, sometimes shocking and occasionally very funny. Brian's emergence from his years of personal troubles, through the horrors of the Landy years 1982-91 to his triumphant completion of the legendary Smile album (and more) is deftly handled by someone who started off as a fan in 1971 and was, by 2004, Brian's friend and confidante. Running parallel with Brian's story is that of David's journey to becoming a respected documentary maker, and this is relevant because were it not for his involvement with Brian, that would most likely never have happened. David's writing style remains engaging and conversational, even when relating the rigours of getting a tribute show or TV special to come to pass (or not, in some cases...). As both a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan/researcher/historian of nearly 50 years standing, I'm obviously not even close to objective, but I'll say it again: if you're in any way a fan of Brian and the Beach Boys, you need to read this book. Unhesitatingly recommended."

The only quibble one might have with the above is the assertion of how David's career moved into documentary filmmaking. While the two threads in the story are related, it seems to me (though, yes, I could be wrong!) that David established that aspect of his career through his ongoing work in television, and was already successful in the mid-1990s when he hit career gold with his look at A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. But one senses that AGD was looking for a way to justify the amount of text devoted to that aspect of David's career in the new book...and while that's laudable of him to do so, I'm not sure it's really necessary. Kudos again to David for having built such an impressive career, one that clearly stands on its own apart from his long interaction/association with Brian Wilson.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted or linked to "over there," but I'm disappointed to report that, at least for now, it won't be posted there, since the thread related to David's book has been locked (at least until the book is fully available worldwide). So let's invite those folk over here to lurk and see the AGD review that has been curiously undocumented over there. (Or perhaps it's in some other obscure cubbyhole?)
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2022, 10:52:19 AM »

Steve, it might as well be disappeared, given that "Forum Feedback" is about as far from the mainstream material on the board as one can get. And the moderator has seen fit to lock it for a second time (and hopefully this time it will stay locked!).

And, as is often the case, you fail to address the salient points made elsewhere in the post and remind us that you continue to manifest only intermittent control over "reptilian brain" functions when posting either here or over there.

And you'd be surprised (chagrined?) to discover just how witty some of the folk over at the NFP think I am, when they provide likes for my posts over there under my alias--including, IIRC, you yourself.

If that revelation makes folks over there more paranoid...well, it can't be helped.

Meanwhile, folks here might be interested to see AGD's review of David's book. It's a good one, and is part of the growing praise for David's highly satisfying "full circle" performance as captured in the new volume. Here is what he had to say:

"I bought both previous editions of this when they were published in 1978 & 1985 respectively, so the news that some 37 years later it was being updated was hugely welcomed. Was it worth the wait ? Yes, very much so. Anyone who claims to be a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan of any hue needs to read this book. Comprising the full text of both the original version and the later update (so in essence you're getting three books in one), and an extensive update covering the years 1985-2022, this view of the complex world of Brian Wilson from the inside is rarely less than revelatory, sometimes shocking and occasionally very funny. Brian's emergence from his years of personal troubles, through the horrors of the Landy years 1982-91 to his triumphant completion of the legendary Smile album (and more) is deftly handled by someone who started off as a fan in 1971 and was, by 2004, Brian's friend and confidante. Running parallel with Brian's story is that of David's journey to becoming a respected documentary maker, and this is relevant because were it not for his involvement with Brian, that would most likely never have happened. David's writing style remains engaging and conversational, even when relating the rigours of getting a tribute show or TV special to come to pass (or not, in some cases...). As both a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan/researcher/historian of nearly 50 years standing, I'm obviously not even close to objective, but I'll say it again: if you're in any way a fan of Brian and the Beach Boys, you need to read this book. Unhesitatingly recommended."

The only quibble one might have with the above is the assertion of how David's career moved into documentary filmmaking. While the two threads in the story are related, it seems to me (though, yes, I could be wrong!) that David established that aspect of his career through his ongoing work in television, and was already successful in the mid-1990s when he hit career gold with his look at A HARD DAY'S NIGHT. But one senses that AGD was looking for a way to justify the amount of text devoted to that aspect of David's career in the new book...and while that's laudable of him to do so, I'm not sure it's really necessary. Kudos again to David for having built such an impressive career, one that clearly stands on its own apart from his long interaction/association with Brian Wilson.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted or linked to "over there," but I'm disappointed to report that, at least for now, it won't be posted there, since the thread related to David's book has been locked (at least until the book is fully available worldwide). So let's invite those folk over here to lurk and see the AGD review that has been curiously undocumented over there. (Or perhaps it's in some other obscure cubbyhole?)

I haven't posted much on EH but I did when I found that David's book was coming in for some negative comments even before some of those posting had read it! And of course, as soon as I gave my view, it started the old, familiar argument, which went completely off at a tangent. I don't think this was my fault but when I responded to comments made by one person in particular, one of the 'moderators' (not sure that is an appropriate title!) said we should stay on topic, then finally closed the thread because the book isn't available everywhere yet. Brian's tour isn't available everywhere either - here in the UK it was postponed twice because of Covid and then again supposedly because of Covid but obviously really because of the US Tour with Chicago. One of the fans (who was amazingly philosophical about it!) had to spend a night in a hotel he'd booked for the show or just lose the hotel fee! No doubt it's OK to discuss Brian's tour though.

As for AGD's review, I asked him about it on EH and he confirmed he was writing one but didn't post it on EH.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:08:49 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
Galaxy Liz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »

I thoroughly pissed off about EH (there's an oxymoron if ever there was one)!  I was in an on topic discussion defending the book against some silly criticisms when one of the moderators took my posts down and emailed me to say I wasn't to post on that thread any more.  I told him posting on EH was a total waste of time.  I spent time and effort checking the content of my post for errors and accuracy, made sure it related to the book and pffft - it's gone.  I only started posting there to defend some absolutely silly criticism such as 'teachers shouldn't have enough time to write if they are doing their job properly' and 'young fans shouldn't approach artists after a show when they are tired and it's is a bad example to set to his current students'.

Sorry that my first post after a long time should be a moan!

I'm still reading the book (again after a long time) but it seems to me that it is exceptionally fair.  Obviously David's status has changed so now he has to limit himself in what he says but nevertheless it gives us insight into his work with Brian and concludes the SMiLE story with a happy ending.  I'm so glad to have it and read it again.  Covid was sucking the soul out of me and this has got me fired up again about the music.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2022, 11:49:58 AM »

I thoroughly pissed off about EH (there's an oxymoron if ever there was one)!  I was in an on topic discussion defending the book against some silly criticisms when one of the moderators took my posts down and emailed me to say I wasn't to post on that thread any more.  I told him posting on EH was a total waste of time.  I spent time and effort checking the content of my post for errors and accuracy, made sure it related to the book and pffft - it's gone.  I only started posting there to defend some absolutely silly criticism such as 'teachers shouldn't have enough time to write if they are doing their job properly' and 'young fans shouldn't approach artists after a show when they are tired and it's is a bad example to set to his current students'.

Sorry that my first post after a long time should be a moan!

I'm still reading the book (again after a long time) but it seems to me that it is exceptionally fair.  Obviously David's status has changed so now he has to limit himself in what he says but nevertheless it gives us insight into his work with Brian and concludes the SMiLE story with a happy ending.  I'm so glad to have it and read it again.  Covid was sucking the soul out of me and this has got me fired up again about the music.

That thread was a train wreck.

Obviously, I haven’t read the new edition yet, but I have both the 1978 and 1985 editions and I always thought it was a fair assessment of Brian’s story especially as it relates to the BB.  Is David biased? OK, sure. But he is still fair, I think, to the other members (much more fair than his critics are willing to admit).

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2022, 12:05:02 PM »

Am considering purchasing when able to. How much new material is there? I own the 85 edition

Edit

I mean like where does it stop in the timeline? Asking after having read southbay’s post.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:07:56 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2022, 12:27:25 PM »

Am considering purchasing when able to. How much new material is there? I own the 85 edition

Edit

I mean like where does it stop in the timeline? Asking after having read southbay’s post.

The original goes up to the Brian is back campaign. The 2022 update mainly covers David's own work with Brian - plenty of detail on the Landy years, Brian's first solo album, Tribute to the Queen,  BWPS, Beautiful Dreamer, then That Lucky Old Sun, and Epilogue Love and Mercy. Some 'myths and legends' at the end. 2022 update starts at page 317 and goes on to 468.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »

Awesome…thanks.

I literally had forgotten I owned the 85 version even though it’s been on my bookshelf staring at me longingly for ages 😂

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx