gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:37:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Leaf to reissue California Myth  (Read 12100 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:49:39 AM »

I found out about this not long ago and apparently it is coming out this year to coincide with Brian’s 80th birthday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Only-Knows-Wilson-California/dp/1913172759/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1T00ZQ5B6V4LN&keywords=David+leaf&qid=1648132509&sprefix=david+leaf%252Caps%252C156&sr=8-4&_encoding=UTF8&tag=davidleaf-21&linkCode=ur2&linkId=aab0475510fe9c49dae939d12c2367c7&camp=1634&creative=6738

It might be fun to watch the heads over at the other board explode in rage all over again!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 07:01:37 PM »

I found out about this not long ago and apparently it is coming out this year to coincide with Brian’s 80th birthday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Only-Knows-Wilson-California/dp/1913172759/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1T00ZQ5B6V4LN&keywords=David+leaf&qid=1648132509&sprefix=david+leaf%252Caps%252C156&sr=8-4&_encoding=UTF8&tag=davidleaf-21&linkCode=ur2&linkId=aab0475510fe9c49dae939d12c2367c7&camp=1634&creative=6738

It might be fun to watch the heads over at the other board explode in rage all over again!

Excellent news! An essential addition to any fans' bookshelves, and since it was so hard to find (or very expensive in the collector market) for so long, a long-overdue reissue.

I'll have my popcorn and cold beer ready for the latter event... LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 04:24:19 AM »

Thank you for this news -

until now I haven't been able to locate a copy here in The Netherlands. So I am glad that this updated and expanded edition will be available quite soon.

It does have a special place in the history of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.

The timing of its appearance is well chosen... Brian Wilson going to be eighty years of age... all in all, what a story it is!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 06:10:51 AM »

Thirty-seven years is a long time between editions (about the same length of time, in fact, that it took for SMiLE to emerge from the shadows), so there is much to cover. And David was, of course, part of Brian's story throughout much of that period, so he has much more first-hand material with which to work. Looking forward to it and hoping that the page count listed at Amazon UK (480 pages) is on the money.

The Lovester contingent over at the Nearest Faraway Place is doing some sniping at this development, of course...whatever. Oddly enough, just before this news broke, they were indulging themselves with yet another "Beach Boys myths" thread, which revolved mostly around their usual complaints. Nobody had gotten around to trashing the late Loren Schwartz as yet, so they still have some slithering room left...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »

The Lovester contingent over at the Nearest Faraway Place is doing some sniping at this development, of course...whatever. Oddly enough, just before this news broke, they were indulging themselves with yet another "Beach Boys myths" thread, which revolved mostly around their usual complaints. Nobody had gotten around to trashing the late Loren Schwartz as yet, so they still have some slithering room left...

I got a good laugh out of one of the "myths" in that thread, that supposedly some people believe that literally every thing bad that happened to Brian was Mike's fault. In all my years of being a fan I've never ran across anyone saying anything remotely close to this...the exaggerations speak volumes.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

I got a good laugh out of one of the "myths" in that thread, that supposedly some people believe that literally every thing bad that happened to Brian was Mike's fault. In all my years of being a fan I've never ran across anyone saying anything remotely close to this...the exaggerations speak volumes.

Consider the source(s).

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »

I'm going to editorialize a bit further here, and while I don't know exactly what's being said today or whatever elsewhere, I can speak from previous examples. It was disgusting to see the names and reputations of Michael Vosse, David Anderle, and others who were in Brian's Smile-era circle of friends being dragged through the mud and even slandered as was happening especially around 6-10 years ago. There were people suggesting these men were leeches, hangers-on, interlopers, drug users/dealers, and hell Mike in his book even suggested David Anderle was a crook who stole revenue from his band. The suggestion was even made (here) that Jules Siegel and his Smile article were sexist, and his reporting of events should be discounted because of that.

There are not enough angry words to say in response to that kind of crap, and that kind of false narrative.

I'll just say that such crap comes from a place similar to the political landscape in the US in recent times, where the narrative and the agenda takes precedent over the facts and accurate reporting, and if someone gets in the way of the narrative, attempts are made to denigrate if not destroy or "cancel" them entirely. Sound familiar? To me it does.

The issues with the original Leaf book touch on points made from first-person accounts of people who were there countering what was suggested in other narratives, books, lawsuits, etc. As often happens, when there are not hard facts to make a valid rebuke, the character assassinations begin. And when we saw people trying to slander Vosse, Anderle, etc it looked like the issue was more with what those men saw and recounted in various interviews versus their own character and accuracy. Yet, some started to go after them personally, made even more disgusting when they did it after they had passed away and were not able to reply or defend themselves. And when Marilyn Wilson, on camera, backs up similar versions of events, what happens...

My take is and always has been that men like David Anderle and Michael Vosse were among those in Brian's circle in 1966-67 who were there supporting him, and being open and enthusiastic to his ideas, no matter how wild they may have been. Brian NEEDED THIS kind of basic support. And he was not getting it at that time from his family and his bandmates to the level I think he may have wanted or needed. Michael Vosse spoke directly to this in his "Fusion" article. And above all, these specific friends cared a lot about Brian, and continued to express that for decades after their official work with the band and Brother had ended.

Loyalty and support...essential and priceless. Also a level of honesty and truth when relating various events...too rare in many cases with this band. And genuinely good guys who went on to have very successful careers in their chosen fields and whose names are respected in their industries, David's accomplishments in the music and film business and Michael's in the TV news business, for two examples.

So the guys who did have Brian's back at that time and beyond are worthy of being dragged through the mud and called leeches, hangers-on, and even crooks?

Hell no. That won't stand. And it's not supported by the facts. It's sad fans have to choose who to believe, but as always trust your gut and consider the full histories of those involved when making those choices and when reading books such as David Leaf's book and reading the accounts of Anderle, Vosse, etc. Then consider why such efforts have been made to go after these individuals personally rather than address the issues they've reported and raised.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 01:29:35 PM »

@Guitarfool, it is amazing the amount of disinformation that gets spewed out by some people. Remember when Brian had very little to do with the Wild Honey production, but the tapes told a completely different story? Funny how a lot of those myths are aimed at one camp with the intent to discredit and slander. Meanwhile, someone brings up one fact about one of Mike's ill-conceived deeds and heads explode.

I wonder if in their "myths" thread we'll get to hear the myth about Melinda adopting her kids for the tax break?

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 02:12:21 PM »

I didn’t do it Rab! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 02:37:24 PM »

@Guitarfool, it is amazing the amount of disinformation that gets spewed out by some people. Remember when Brian had very little to do with the Wild Honey production, but the tapes told a completely different story? Funny how a lot of those myths are aimed at one camp with the intent to discredit and slander. Meanwhile, someone brings up one fact about one of Mike's ill-conceived deeds and heads explode.

I wonder if in their "myths" thread we'll get to hear the myth about Melinda adopting her kids for the tax break?

It is amazing, yes, but maybe even more sad is how it's not surprising. The "Wild Honey" mythology was definitely one of the major issues for a long time, and anyone who has access to the tapes (which is *everyone* at this point) can hear the real story as it happened, not how it was spun or written about years later.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that "myth" you mention to be busted. And that is only one out of many.  Roll Eyes

And I'll expand a little further on this topic, and bring it closer to home: What about the lies, distortions, and misinformation that has been and probably continues to be spread about things that happened here? This is ONE example out of many, call it the tip of a very large iceberg of false information circulating.

There have been comments and criticisms suggesting Lorren Daro was banned or otherwise removed from this forum after a series of posts he made here and subsequent conversations with the members.

Let me bust some mythology (and some spite-driven bubbles too) and say this is simply false. The proof is as easy as - wait for it - actually reading the board's archives. If you're not so inclined, here's the proof in the form of his final post here, save for one he posted later about Mike's book:

To all SS members on this Thread:

It seems clear to me now that this has all gone too far. Someone wrote that almost all the influential members have left this Thread. Only a very few are left to argue with each other over the same ideas – my defenders on one side, my detractors on the other – a vicious circle.

My intent was to get a couple of concepts across, and you’ve read them over and over now. Everyone has thrown in their two cents. I think it’s time for me to leave. I think things began to change when Van Dyke made his opinion of my crusade clear. The Thread began to thin out at that point. How can one argue with VDP? One of the dearest and sweetest human beings on earth, and certainly one of the smartest. And one who was there when I was.

I am grateful to those who seem to understand what I have been trying to say, and for forgiving my trespasses. I salute the nay-sayers for sticking with their positions. I admire anyone who perseveres – even if I don’t agree with them.

I would stay if I thought there was any more progress to be made, but I really don’t think there is. Now, you can all think about the three mf’ers I’ve tried to reveal here: Murry, well-known. Marilyn, not so well-known. And Mike, who is a mystery to most of you, and whom I wish I could have said more about. I’m willing to accept the mistakes I’ve made. I just wanted them to have to face their own – perhaps for the first time.

Please don’t address any more posts to me. I won’t be returning to this site to read them. Talk among yourselves, if you like.

If any of you, like Add Some, Buddhahat, and Don Malcolm, wish to correspond with me. I will be happy to do so through email.

Thank you all for spending time with me. I learned a lot.

Lorren Daro

He left voluntarily. He was NOT banned, he was not asked to leave by the admins here, he was not cut off, and you can still access and read his posts up to the day he left. Why some would persist in "blaming the mods" for him leaving simply makes no sense, but again it sadly is not surprising. In fact, most of the issues and problems that came up while he was posting here came from members who were either banned later for their breaking of the board rules here and/or left voluntarily to set up shop at other forums where the false information about what happened with Lorren Daro continued to be repeated. The only thing I removed from that post quote above was his email address at the very end, which is obviously no longer active. For those who are blaming something other than the truth of what happened, there it is on full display, as are his previous posts and discussions he had while he was here.

So in that regard, it truly is that easy to counter all of the false info. And multiply that by however many additional lies or myths continue to be written or repeated about various goings-on here, and it's a pretty huge iceberg of a situation that can easily be challenged and shattered by simply considering the facts, of which many are fully available to view here.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 02:47:16 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 05:07:56 PM »

Thanks, GF, for the great detailed followup on Loren Schwartz/Lorren Daro and other aspects of the "dark past" that have floated through (and, happily, away from) the SS board. With other pressing matters taking precedence of late, I'd simply forgotten about his eloquent parting note and I appreciated his singling out those of us who pushed back against the "prosecutors" and simply asked that he be given a fair hearing. When it became clear that he had negative memories of Mike Love, however, things got definitely got rough! "Innocent until proven guilty" is still the operating practice, but that sure wasn't how that "honored guest" (!!) thread went down!  police

I notice we've gotten some attention from them with this thread, so perhaps we should mention that many of the "myths" they are busting over there (pins furiously stabbing at all the balloons they keep blowing up...) are in fact "myths." But there are certain topics that still seem to send them into paroxysms; I'm slightly hopeful that they'll leave the WILD HONEY "myth" alone, given how definitively those strange notions have been debunked. (But I mean, really, guys, how could any die-hard follower of the band listen to that record and not hear Brian's fingerprints all over it? Not to mention all those B. Wilson-M. Love songwriting credits--and hey, let's take this moment to give Mike kudos for some of his best work ever).

There are many, many, MANY solid posts over there, and that's why, in the main, it's worth keeping tabs on things over there. For one, there's a lot of good Joshilyn material that doesn't always come over here for one. Many informative threads. And some folks who are a consistent pleasure to read (Alan Smith, for one). We're grateful for several folk who selflessly travel back and forth, past "checkpoint Charlie" without need of a passport or an armed guard. LOL But as a congregation they really do have a "little girl with the curl" syndrome that just keeps on keepin' on!

I know I shouldn't poke the bear, but it's so darned hard to resist!  3D
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »

It always amazes me how attempts are made to completely rewrite events that happened, spin events a certain way based on whatever narratives are in play, or just outright lie about things (like the Lorren Daro history on this board) when the truth is literally available for all to see on demand. And again, multiply that by any number of issues, and yet the lies and distortions have persisted for, what, 7 years at this point? Absolutely ridiculous. But the only way to combat this kind of crap is to point out the truth of what was said or done, which is why the Daro history was relevant here.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 07:18:42 PM »

There are many, many, MANY solid posts over there, and that's why, in the main, it's worth keeping tabs on things over there. For one, there's a lot of good Joshilyn material that doesn't always come over here for one. Many informative threads. And some folks who are a consistent pleasure to read (Alan Smith, for one). We're grateful for several folk who selflessly travel back and forth, past "checkpoint Charlie" without need of a passport or an armed guard. LOL But as a congregation they really do have a "little girl with the curl" syndrome that just keeps on keepin' on!

That's the thing, there are good posts and great posters there. I get that some over there seem dumbfounded that people here would read their posts (and I completely sympathize with their outlook as usually their drivel isn't worth the time of day), but there are many others there who contribute great content/information that is worth reading.

It always amazes me how attempts are made to completely rewrite events that happened, spin events a certain way based on whatever narratives are in play, or just outright lie about things (like the Lorren Daro history on this board) when the truth is literally available for all to see on demand.

Just a quick look at the history of the people who do this "rewriting" and you'll find the same patterns of disinformation in many other areas - and as I say, it's usually aimed at one camp. Case in point:

I didn’t do it Rab! Grin

LOL get off Smiley Smile and back to firing Darian! He's supposedly been fired more times than Billy Martin, right??
_____

And back to the main topic...this is great news and I'm looking forward to adding this book to my collection.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »

I'm a little confused by some of the Daro issue here. Yes, it's incorrect to say that he was banned. But the thread was taken down after he left and wasn't left up for public view.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 06:33:39 PM »

I'm a little confused by some of the Daro issue here. Yes, it's incorrect to say that he was banned. But the thread was taken down after he left and wasn't left up for public view.

The thread is up in its entirety now, in the "Ask The Honored Guests" section, where it was originally housed. The admins will have to respond to the nit about whether it was pulled from view for awhile. The thread was locked by Billy on January 30, 2015; Lorren Daro passed away early in 2017.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »

There were several different issues: Lorren had posted something that showed up on a blog back in 2012. In early 2015 Lorren posted his reply to comments made to that blog post from 2012 here, some 3 years after the fact. The same things also appeared on the Hoffman forum. It got contentious here, the Hoffman folks pulled down his thread, there were whispers of slander and other potential crap that wasn't needed beyond all the arguing going on, and the decision was made to remove it here too. First, it was a 3 year old post that appeared elsewhere, second, it was causing a lot of issues here over comments made elsewhere. It was never deleted, and it still exists. The last post to that discussion was January 19, 2015. Lorren was not banned, or removed, he left voluntarily and stated that he was leaving voluntarily.

Another thread started January 20, the next day, about the missing thread. Lorren came back to post in that thread, and that thread was moved to the honored guests sub-forum where it still resides and is readable today. Lorren again voluntarily withdrew from the discussions, and only posted one more time in 2016 about Mike's book.

He was not banned. He was not forced off the forum. The majority of his posts are still accessible and anyone can read them who chooses. The sum total of his posts to the initial thread - replying to comments posted to a blog unrelated to this forum from three years prior - was *eight posts*. When he basically apologized for his initial posts, the ones that caused the issues here and elsewhere, everyone was allowed to engage him and ask questions, and he was replying. Yes, it got contentious, but he was allowed to converse with people here until he again voluntarily chose to withdraw from the discussions. After he did that, the decision was made to lock the thread since he was no longer there and it was page after page of...well, you can see it firsthand if you choose.

That's pretty much what happened. Explanations were given multiple times while the issues with that first thread were happening, and the decision was made which some supported and others didn't. When Lorren did come back to have actual discussions with members here, versus replying to what was said on old blog comments, he was allowed to do so until he decided to leave.

No bans, no being forced off, nothing of the sort. Anyone who suggests otherwise is either misinformed, or full of it.

Again with the Lorren Daro incidents, it's just one of those myths about this forum that keeps getting repeated with no basis in fact, or acknowledgement of what actually happened, made increasingly frustrating by the fact anyone can still read what he wrote when he voluntarily left.

Just to hammer this home yet again, and bust whatever mythology is still circulating, here are his own words:

I voluntarily withdrew from this site, and not because Brian visited it, of which I was unaware. He appeared after I left. The invective was beyond my ability to respond. Grateful thanks to Don Malcom and Buddhahat, among others, for their reasoned and rational responses.

I have no objections to my posts being pulled from Steve Hoffman. I never posted them there to begin with. They just appeared there following my posts to this site. I don’t know why.

Many of the criticisms I have been trying to answer appeared on the WordPress site when I first posted the essay. My intention was to carry over these issues to this site in order to reach a wider BW audience. I know most of you were not aware of this contentious debate. I’m sorry for the confusion over the timing.

I agree that my initial posts were too full of anger. I’m sorry I didn’t calm down and moderate the tone. The anger is still there, but enough of you have objected that I now see your point. More with honey than vinegar, right? A lot of this has been pent up in me for years. Thanks for seeing through the dark clouds and urging me to change my approach. Never too late to learn…

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 08:14:51 PM »

It might have been pulled and then put back up . It’s been years…I could check the archives but honestly I’ve got more important things to deal with right now, mainly real life (my son was born two months early last month and has been in NICU). That said, I will say this… I WAS going to ban Daro but he quit before I could, for many many reasons ( including some borderline slander involving Terry Sachen). What’s darkly hilarious is that many of the people over “there “ bitching about him leaving the board (regardless of circumstances) now were calling for his ouster back then.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 08:20:30 PM »

The initial posts were pulled, of which Lorren himself had only 8 of them. The subsequent discussion he joined after his explanation and an apology was never pulled and has never been unavailable to read. After he left, it was locked.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2022, 07:35:43 AM »

Heh. I got flamed by one of the mods *here* by daring question that everything was Mike's fault.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 08:03:44 AM »

Heh. I got flamed by one of the mods *here* by daring question that everything was Mike's fault.

Was it this?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26531.msg649204.html#msg649204

Mike's decision not to continue making music and performing with the C50 lineup, latter part of 2012. The band was on fire and in demand for the first time in ages, having scored a top-5 album of original music and one of the most acclaimed tours of that year, and Mike chose to walk away. It's right up there on the "what could've been" list from the band's entire career.

This.

This was redemption for everyone involved and Mike decided, “nah.”

There's....a lot more to the story than that. The truth is...there's someone else who shares initials with him who's a lot more to blame for that happening.

What an absolute crock. Especially since we've been told for years how Mike is in full control of his career and decisions...now the "truth" is hinting that Mike's decision to walk was the fault of someone else and not Mike? Revisionism 101.

Mike made his decision not to continue with the other guys who wanted to do more as a reunited group. Period.

Fine. You obviously have all the facts.

Fine. You obviously have all the facts.

The facts have been on the table for years at this point. If people would look at the facts instead of trying to backpedal and spin what actually happened in some attempt to do damage control for Mike or shift blame for Mike's own choice and decision onto others instead of Mike himself, the facts would rise above the spin and BS. Obviously that hasn't happened. The ultimate fact remains that Mike as one of those four people on stage and in studio during C50 who was in the Wilson music room in Hawthorne making music before there was a "Beach Boys" chose to go his own way and the other three original members continued to perform and record together as a group after the last C50 shows.

That was and will always be Mike's decision, and Mike's alone, along with the consequences of that decision. If someone is described as being in "full control" over their decisions and career moves, those decisions have to be owned by the person in full control over making them.

It didn't have anything to do with liking or not liking anybody - it had to do with an e-mail received that said that Brian was not going to do more dates -- and Brian didn't know about that. By the time Brian found out that it was spoken for on his behalf and told the powers that be that he wanted in, it was too late: the scheduling was already done, the contracts had already been signed.

If this is not true, then please, provide a source.

It didn't have anything to do with liking or not liking anybody - it had to do with an e-mail received that said that Brian was not going to do more dates -- and Brian didn't know about that. By the time Brian found out that it was spoken for on his behalf and told the powers that be that he wanted in, it was too late: the scheduling was already done, the contracts had already been signed.

If this is not true, then please, provide a source.

How about getting the context of the email exchange in which that one email has been pulled out and waved endlessly as "proof" for the past 6 years or so? Context, as in what emails may have been sent before and after the one everyone seems to pull out of the bigger exchange?

And what contracts were signed by Mike, exactly? Nutty Jerry's? They cancelled the show after finding out they booked Mike's band and not the C50 lineup. Or was it the gig in South America or wherever it was that never happened either?

Anyway we're walking over the same ground that has been trampled on for 6+ years.

Find the context in which that email appeared. For all the incessant Neville Chamberlain-like waving of one email in everyone's faces, no one seems to want to discuss how that email came to be.

And the email doesn't explain why Mike walked away from the chance to record more material with Brian, Al, and David even after the tour when there was talk of recording more music. I guess there is an excuse for that too which absolves Mike of any personal responsibility for his choice to bail out on everything related to the original 4 members getting together to make music?

There a dozen reasons or more, hashed out over the last 6-7 years on this board, for why the "no more shows for Wilson" e-mail had nothing to do with the end of the reunion project/tour.

Why is this still having to be hashed out? Do I have to go grab a bunch of old posts/articles/links to make this case *again*?

By Mike's *own* words, *he* made the decision to not continue the reunion. In interviews and in his book, his listed a LITANY of issues he had with the tour from the get-go. In no interview nor in his book has he ever expressed that he *wanted* to continue the reunion and was prevented from doing so by external forces/factors. In Mike's own book, he acknowledges that prior to the end of the tour, Brian WANTED to continue and that he (Mike) did not.

I've laid out tons of interviews between 2012 and 2018, as well as discussion of what's in Mike's book, and I've even broken down the SCANT number of shows Mike booked in 2012 post-C50, and there have been knowledgeable people in the industry who have spoken to how they EASILY could have continued the reunion even *after* Mike started booking those small number of shows for his band. They could have bought off those Mike/Bruce shows, postponed them, canceled them, or re-booked them as "reunion" shows. They even could have DONE those shows and *then* reconvened for more reunion activity.

If Mike had one time expressed any sentiment along the lines of "I *wanted* to continue the reunion, but a one-line e-mail from Brian's camp that was later walked back prevented me from doing so *in perpetuity*", then I'd start to buy the idea that the end of the reunion came at the hand of anybody else.

Why is it still being hashed out? Good question - but the answer isn't difficult to find, is it? As I said all the facts have been on the table for years. Yet some seem hell-bent on trying to either rewrite the history of how it happened or else find some way to absolve Mike of any responsibility for his decisions and actions. And for owning his own words too, which again have been on the record for years at this point.

As in many, many, many cases with this band if things turn out positive overall for Mike he takes responsibility for the role he played. If it turns out negative, he ducks and dodges his responsibility and blames others. It's been that way for a long time and probably won't change. All that changes is the scapegoat used to explain whatever situation came up negative.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if that's not it then please provide the example and I'll be glad to address it and apologize if necessary.

Because that exchange was about the end of C50 and not having to do with "everything bad that happened to Brian" but rather the end of C50 and the notion that one email ended it. Again if it's something else please quote what I said and I'll address it.

That was the extent of my exchanges with you in that discussion, if that's what you're referring to. That's all I can think of because I can't recall any other specific exchanges I've had with you other than when you asked about home recording and how to get that 60's picked bass tone, or something similar, and I definitely didn't flame anyone there  Smiley. Again if you felt like I flamed you in the above discussion, I apologize to you now for using the words I did and making it seem too personal. I was more suggesting the narrative about that single email ending C50 isn't the whole story, that the narrative suggesting this is a crock, and there is more context than what's being presented. I'm sorry if it felt like it was attacking you instead of the issue.

But it's not the same thing as Rab was saying in his comment.

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »

Thank you for this news -

until now I haven't been able to locate a copy here in The Netherlands. So I am glad that this updated and expanded edition will be available quite soon.

It does have a special place in the history of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson.

The timing of its appearance is well chosen... Brian Wilson going to be eighty years of age... all in all, what a story it is!

Welcome back Don! I was missing you. Smiley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »

If the C50 discussion was indeed your example of this, I guess I just don't understand what the benefits are of exaggerating that such a discussion equates to Mike being blamed for everything. I get that Dirk posted it just to piss people off, but I'm more surprised that others out there would perpetuate this nonsense.

To me, the exaggerations serve no fruitful purpose.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »

This is great! Ordered

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2022, 07:29:32 AM »

Sigh....I broke down and pre-ordered from the UK site. Man, with the shipping to the US, I'm probably paying double what I'd pay if I'd waited. Just to get the most value out of my money that I could, I checked "This is a gift" and put "That's all about a girl who had to use falsies. Y'know - false breasts." as the gift message.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 09:51:14 AM »

Just arrived today. Beautiful copy.

Can't wait to read it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx