gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fading Love Song  (Read 1727 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2022, 05:58:11 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYt6H8MohA&ab_channel=TimK

The Beach Boys - Fading Love Song (Don Goldberg) Unreleased

There seems to be very little information about this song and couldnt find anything about it on the Bellagio 10452 site. Do we have any evidence of involvement from members of the group in the recording?
GoinBald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 06:34:00 AM »

Fading Love Song (D. Goldberg) 2:59 (1973)
Brian Wilson - piano, bass; Carl Wilson - guitars; Mike Love - vocals; Ricky Fataar - drums; Tandyn Almer - piano, string arrangement; David Sandler - backing vocals
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »

Fading Love Song isn't Beach Boys; it was written and recorded by Don Goldberg with help from Brian and Ricky sometime in 1972, before Holland. No others of the group were involved. It's Don singing and playing guitar, Brian on piano and bass, Ricky on drums.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 08:03:18 AM by WillJC » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 11:44:39 AM »

Also, when Goldberg put out those three songs on YouTube however many years ago, some and probably all of the recordings (certainly "Sweet and Bitter") had overdubs on them that clearly took place *years* after the early 70s sessions that Goldberg had done with the BBs. "Sweet and Bitter" was probably the most obvious, as most of it sounded much more late 70s/early 80s than early 70s.

In any event, I know someone at some point in the past was thinking the two tracks with Goldberg on lead might surface on a future BB set, but I highly doubt it. I don't need "Fading Love Song" on a BB set.

"Sweet and Bitter" was by far the most interesting track of the three ("Out in the Country" might be more interesting if a BB recording didn't also already exist), and the only one that needs to be released on a "Beach Boys" product.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:47:05 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 10:00:50 PM »

Also, when Goldberg put out those three songs on YouTube however many years ago, some and probably all of the recordings (certainly "Sweet and Bitter") had overdubs on them that clearly took place *years* after the early 70s sessions that Goldberg had done with the BBs. "Sweet and Bitter" was probably the most obvious, as most of it sounded much more late 70s/early 80s than early 70s.

In any event, I know someone at some point in the past was thinking the two tracks with Goldberg on lead might surface on a future BB set, but I highly doubt it. I don't need "Fading Love Song" on a BB set.

"Sweet and Bitter" was by far the most interesting track of the three ("Out in the Country" might be more interesting if a BB recording didn't also already exist), and the only one that needs to be released on a "Beach Boys" product.

You don't believe that the version of  "Out in the Country" which was apparently cut for inclusion on the Carl and the Passions album, albeit with a lead vocal apparently by Don Goldberg, should be on the upcoming set focusing on the Blondie and Ricky era of the group? By my qualifications, this is as much of a Beach Boys song as "A Day in the Life of a Tree" if Brian intended for it to feature on a Beach Boys album.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 06:44:53 AM »

You don't believe that the version of  "Out in the Country" which was apparently cut for inclusion on the Carl and the Passions album, albeit with a lead vocal apparently by Don Goldberg, should be on the upcoming set focusing on the Blondie and Ricky era of the group? By my qualifications, this is as much of a Beach Boys song as "A Day in the Life of a Tree" if Brian intended for it to feature on a Beach Boys album.

I don't buy for a second that a Don Goldberg lead would have ever ended up on a Beach Boys album. I'd totally buy Brian talked about it as an idea for five minutes, but it would have never happened.

It's not the same scenario as "Tree" on a number of levels.

I suppose it does fall under the "a backing track that could have theoretically ended up as the basis for a BB track" scenario. Make no mistake, I find all of this stuff interesting and want to hear it all. We actually haven't heard the untouched/undubbed multis on the other two Goldberg tracks. "Sweet and Bitter" certainly revealed that very little was actually tracked instrumentally back during the BB sessions.

I certainly wouldn't be bent out of shape if they used one or both of the other Goldberg tracks on a BB archival set. But they seem a bit too out of context to me, and I also find Goldberg's voice to be pretty unremarkable. And certainly, if a future set really jam-packed the discs to the point where nearly ever second is used, I wouldn't want the Goldberg tracks taking up space in place of something else.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »

You don't believe that the version of  "Out in the Country" which was apparently cut for inclusion on the Carl and the Passions album, albeit with a lead vocal apparently by Don Goldberg, should be on the upcoming set focusing on the Blondie and Ricky era of the group? By my qualifications, this is as much of a Beach Boys song as "A Day in the Life of a Tree" if Brian intended for it to feature on a Beach Boys album.

I don't buy for a second that a Don Goldberg lead would have ever ended up on a Beach Boys album. I'd totally buy Brian talked about it as an idea for five minutes, but it would have never happened.

It's not the same scenario as "Tree" on a number of levels.

I suppose it does fall under the "a backing track that could have theoretically ended up as the basis for a BB track" scenario. Make no mistake, I find all of this stuff interesting and want to hear it all. We actually haven't heard the untouched/undubbed multis on the other two Goldberg tracks. "Sweet and Bitter" certainly revealed that very little was actually tracked instrumentally back during the BB sessions.

I certainly wouldn't be bent out of shape if they used one or both of the other Goldberg tracks on a BB archival set. But they seem a bit too out of context to me, and I also find Goldberg's voice to be pretty unremarkable. And certainly, if a future set really jam-packed the discs to the point where nearly ever second is used, I wouldn't want the Goldberg tracks taking up space in place of something else.

Brian primarily wrote, produced, played on (as did Carl), and sang on Out in the Country, and the sessions were funded with the Beach Boys as the artist. The only material difference between it and Tree is that one was released on an album in the 70s.

Goldberg's vocal was intended as a scratch while the song sat in stasis, apparently meant to be replaced by a Beach Boy until Brian came up with the scheme to have him guest on the album. If an unfinished backing track with no vocal doesn't disqualify something from a Beach Boys release, I don't really see why Don singing on it should. Very different situation to Fading Love Song - OITC is an important piece of the time period, especially with the later remake in Holland. As much went into that production as the rest of So Tough. The 2014 CopEx set and Smile Sessions included Larry Denton and Jasper Dailey tracks that were never even aimed at the group.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 07:46:59 AM by WillJC » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 08:11:50 PM »

Hmm. So you're assumption is its more of an everyday guy doing the whole "my brush with greatness" thing and kinda inflating what may have been an offhand remark of Brian's for something serious (e.g. "Out in the Country" with his lead vocal appearing on a Beach Boys album).

Brian primarily wrote, produced, played on (as did Carl), and sang on Out in the Country, and the sessions were funded with the Beach Boys as the artist. The only material difference between it and Tree is that one was released on an album in the 70s.

Goldberg's vocal was intended as a scratch while the song sat in stasis, apparently meant to be replaced by a Beach Boy until Brian came up with the scheme to have him guest on the album. If an unfinished backing track with no vocal doesn't disqualify something from a Beach Boys release, I don't really see why Don singing on it should. Very different situation to Fading Love Song - OITC is an important piece of the time period, especially with the later remake in Holland. As much went into that production as the rest of So Tough. The 2014 CopEx set and Smile Sessions included Larry Denton and Jasper Dailey tracks that were never even aimed at the group.

Great points Will. If we got Jasper Dailey and Larry Denton stuff, why not? Also, it is interesting that you point out that the group also recorded a version of "Out in the Country" during the Holland sessions, which surely ties it closer to The Beach Boys than some random Larry Denton vocal. If indeed Don Goldberg's version of events is indeed accurate, I think it's likely we see some version of the Carl and the Passions-era recording.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx