gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:23:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Squares #7 All Summer Long is up!  (Read 971 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2022, 06:18:50 AM »

The new PET SQUARES: A GEEK'S GUIDE TO THE BEACH BOYS is up! Ep. 7 takes a deep dive into the fantastic ALL SUMMER LONG album. "I Get Around," "Wendy," "Little Honda," "Girls On The Beach"...it's all there. Smiley

https://youtu.be/20WWPPpY0ug
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:53:10 AM »

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us!

"I get around" just has to be one of the most exciting records in Rock music. Everything is just perfect. Mike's lead is full of energy, and just the tone of his voice on this one is tremendous. The funky breaks during the verses with the handclaps and then the great guitar solo. Not to forget the Boys' vocals and harmonies. Man, this song is astonishing. And that hook, "round-round-get around- I get around"!
Coupled with it's flip side,"Don't worry Baby", this in my eyes is one of those special singles that are in their own league along with "Don't be cruel/Hound Dog", "Blue Suede Shoes/Honey don't", "Bo Diddley/I'm a Man" a.o.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:45:03 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 12:31:50 PM »

And much "fun, fun, fun" watching you "get around" to all those filming locations, Adam!

Focusing on the LPs is, of course, the most logical way to organize all this...but when you get to TODAY!, you might consider talking about the songs based on when they were conceived/recorded as opposed to how they appear on the LP itself. This period of time is clearly the point where Brian (somehow manages) to blossom into the creator who held so much of the world in thrall through the end of 1966, upping his game with "When I Grow Up" and "She Knows Me Too Well," clear evolutions from "Don't Worry Baby" and "Girls on the Beach" that strongly mark what will appear on TODAY!

The shows/sessions log from July-December 1964 is certifiably insane--it's no wonder that Brian broke down. But even in the midst of that ongoing turmoil, he was still progressing, with "Kiss Me Baby" before the breakdown, followed by "Please Let Me Wonder" and "In the Back of My Mind" almost immediately after the instigation of the "new arrangement." (Plus all the up-tempo stuff, which isn't as ambitious in terms of texture but still benefits from Brian's evolution as an arranger.)

And the most significant reason why the Wrecking Crew starts to become more prominent on the records in '65 is because Brian's at home all the time, and the guys are on the road, so the personnel shifts because Brian needs the Crew to handle what the band had been doing previously. That suggests the idea that the SUMMER DAYS record might be discussed by focusing on the tracks with the band vs. the tracks that have a more pronounced presence of the Crew...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 05:43:18 AM »

And much "fun, fun, fun" watching you "get around" to all those filming locations, Adam!

Focusing on the LPs is, of course, the most logical way to organize all this...but when you get to TODAY!, you might consider talking about the songs based on when they were conceived/recorded as opposed to how they appear on the LP itself. This period of time is clearly the point where Brian (somehow manages) to blossom into the creator who held so much of the world in thrall through the end of 1966, upping his game with "When I Grow Up" and "She Knows Me Too Well," clear evolutions from "Don't Worry Baby" and "Girls on the Beach" that strongly mark what will appear on TODAY!

The shows/sessions log from July-December 1964 is certifiably insane--it's no wonder that Brian broke down. But even in the midst of that ongoing turmoil, he was still progressing, with "Kiss Me Baby" before the breakdown, followed by "Please Let Me Wonder" and "In the Back of My Mind" almost immediately after the instigation of the "new arrangement." (Plus all the up-tempo stuff, which isn't as ambitious in terms of texture but still benefits from Brian's evolution as an arranger.)

And the most significant reason why the Wrecking Crew starts to become more prominent on the records in '65 is because Brian's at home all the time, and the guys are on the road, so the personnel shifts because Brian needs the Crew to handle what the band had been doing previously. That suggests the idea that the SUMMER DAYS record might be discussed by focusing on the tracks with the band vs. the tracks that have a more pronounced presence of the Crew...

I'll take this all under advisement. Worthy suggestions. I do agree that once we hit 1965 probably a shift in focus is called for, and 1966-67, a fairly radical one.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx