gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:43:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ?? Mike Love saying Sounds of Summer 3-cd set is coming  (Read 4065 times)
kenh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2022, 01:16:34 PM »

Anybody know what's up with this ??
Is this just another re-packaging deal or what ??

Ken H
Houston, TX

Ken H
Houston, TX USA
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »

Been done years ago. It was called "The Platinum Collection":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Platinum_Collection_(Sounds_of_Summer_Edition)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »

Where’s he saying it?
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 02:33:54 PM »

https://www.cameo.com/recipient/61df5b7ab0547f6f851e691d?irgwc=1&irclickid=x%3AzzgxU2WxyIRKvUKR0Wux9JUkGyJ7X-uROcSg0&ir_campaignid=11642&ir_adid=830521&ir_partnerid=27795&utm_medium=affiliate

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »

I suspect what Mike is talking about is new, not that old "Platinum" set.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »

While my mind too initially went straight to the 'Platinum Collection' UK collection, I personally doubt that this new "box set deal", as Mike said, will be a straight up re-release of 'Platinum'.

I think we can expect updated mixes/masters, if not for everything, than for at least some of the tracks. Off the top of my head, I could imagine the new stereo mixes of Wild Honey, Darlin, and Do It Again replacing their Mono originals. I would be very surprised if Fun Fun Fun w Status Quo or Wipe Out made the cut. (The latter I would argue for, being a huge hit in their later phase of their career) I also think TWGMTR era material will be included- if I had to guess maybe the title track and Isn't It Time. We'd definitely be spoiled to see something unreleased included, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for that.

Sounds Of Summer is one of the best comps for The BBs ever, so I'm looking forward to the repackage. I look forward to any new BBs release, there's always something to be found and enjoyed, alternate or new mixes are always fun to dive into.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:54:24 PM »

I heard him say “a repackaging of Sounds of Summer with 3 cds and 2 other cds so it’s  sort of a box set deal”

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 04:51:18 PM »

It would be cool if they did a DVD release like The Beatles did with their 1 reissue a few years back, collecting some of the old TV performances and promo films. I think the Beach Boys are overdue for a video collection of sorts.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 09:29:59 AM »

It would be cool if they did a DVD release like The Beatles did with their 1 reissue a few years back, collecting some of the old TV performances and promo films. I think the Beach Boys are overdue for a video collection of sorts.

They did the "Sounds & Sights of Summer" CD/DVD comb. around 15 years (?) ago. That was pretty nice, especially as it had the full T. A. M. I. performance. I'd welcom such a DVD, in fact I'm calling for something like that for a long time. The Pro Shot Concert list (see my signature for the link) was started in hope it would spark interest in some of the officials' (who read this board) mind. But I understand that it's probably very hard to get all the copyright from the different TV shows/stations etc. But man, that 1980 5(?)-song set from the Mike Douglas show on the beach would be great to have in pristine quality. Not to mention all the other stuff, including the uncut "Lost Concert".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:31:53 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 09:47:39 AM »

As others have mentioned, as I've mentioned over the years, anything along the lines of that "Beatles 1" Blu-ray would be very difficult for the Beach Boys for a myriad of reasons.

First of all, they don't have nearly as many "proper" promotional films from the 60s as the Beatles did. There's obviously some stuff from the 70s/80s/90s. But it's very sketchy, and let's also be honest, a lot of their "proper" music videos are pretty awful.

They'd have to fill such a release mostly with TV appearances and live concert material. The former gets very expensive to license, and again the available of specific songs would be spotty if they try to keep to contemporary era for each song.

Brother (Iconic) has a number of concerts in the video/film vault that they own, so they wouldn't have to license the footage. But only some of that stuff is even releasable due to either performance issues or technical issues. And really, a live concert set should be a whole separate thing.

Of course, even when they don't have to pay to license the footage, they have to pay the sync rights on the actual songs/compositions, which gets very expensive (and why stuff like the Knebworth 1980 and 50th Anniversary "Live in Concert" DVD/Blu-ray releases only have portions of those shows).

That "Sights & Sounds of Summer" CD/DVD set was pretty minimal to be honest, and that's probably the type of thing we'd get if they tried it again, just a small grab bag of available stuff they can license without excessive cost. It's worth noting that that TAMI footage has subsequently been offered in better quality on a Shout Factory Blu-ray of the entire concert.

Really, I think the the two main "video" areas left to explore for the BBs would be a boxed set of live concert footage, and then just a multi-part documentary where someone with deep enough pockets (e.g. hopefully Iconic) will pay to license plenty of cool footage to flesh out the band's full career. They need a "Beatles Anthology" type of doc, and Iconic putting something like that together and shopping it to Netflix or whoever would be perfect.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »

My feeling from the way Mike talks about this - call it intuition - you will get Sounds of Summer plus 2x CDs from Mike and his band. Only time will tell.

Regarding official Bluray, that would be cool, but I suspect there's not the appetite for it within the powers that be (which of course depends entirely on the commercial viability / profitability expected.

Some of those 80s and 90s clips are great, I don't really recall many from the 70s. But as you say, they are not all that great.

The Beatles jumped on board, if not created, the promo clip - so of course they did a way better job on theirs. We're probably waiting on a bluray bootleg when it comes to our band.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 06:37:20 AM »

Do we really even need a promotional DVD included as one of the discs...?  I'd rather it be a rarities CD that includes a bunch of songs they recorded and released that are just drifting out there in the ether.   There might be some legality issues to sort out but there are a bunch of not-bad songs they recorded (particularly in the 80's) that I'd like to see compiled for at least completionist sake.  Songs like the following:

Rock & Roll To the Rescue
Chasin' The Sky
Crocodile Rock
Problem Child
Happy Endings
Lady Liberty

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 06:46:04 AM »

My feeling from the way Mike talks about this - call it intuition - you will get Sounds of Summer plus 2x CDs from Mike and his band. Only time will tell.

Regarding official Bluray, that would be cool, but I suspect there's not the appetite for it within the powers that be (which of course depends entirely on the commercial viability / profitability expected.

Some of those 80s and 90s clips are great, I don't really recall many from the 70s. But as you say, they are not all that great.

The Beatles jumped on board, if not created, the promo clip - so of course they did a way better job on theirs. We're probably waiting on a bluray bootleg when it comes to our band.

There's no way that material from Mike and his band are being packaged with "Sounds of Summer." I don't think Iconic or the other BBs would want that.

Based solely on what Mike says in this clip and no other info I may have heard, it sounds to me like they're simply expanding "Sounds of Summer" to something that could end up looking, tracklisting wise, not too much unlike the three volumes of "Greatest Hits" from the 90s/00s.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 06:47:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »

Personally,  I don't understand the .. well, let's call it excitement regarding Mike's mentioning of this set. Sounds like the regular shtick: take something successful and repackage it like your life depends on it without having to come up with something new to offer. Sounds of Summer is a greatest hits compilation and thanks to the music it has great content. But it's not important. It doesn't matter and certainly doesn't deserve a deluxe edition or something like that. I know, for Mike this probably this would probably a good idea because Sounds of Summer is basically the most "current" thing that had some kind of success and that he can use as a theme for his touring, unless he wants to do a Smile- or TWGMTR-tour.
So there are two things that I would expect this to be: either it is a repackaging of the "Platinum Collection" or  a set consisting of "Sounds & Sights of Summer" plus "The Warmth of the Sun". No bonus tracks. I don't wanna sound like a downer but imo history shows this is the most likely outcome.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 09:09:52 AM »

Personally,  I don't understand the .. well, let's call it excitement regarding Mike's mentioning of this set. Sounds like the regular shtick: take something successful and repackage it like your life depends on it without having to come up with something new to offer. Sounds of Summer is a greatest hits compilation and thanks to the music it has great content. But it's not important. It doesn't matter and certainly doesn't deserve a deluxe edition or something like that. I know, for Mike this probably this would probably a good idea because Sounds of Summer is basically the most "current" thing that had some kind of success and that he can use as a theme for his touring, unless he wants to do a Smile- or TWGMTR-tour.
So there are two things that I would expect this to be: either it is a repackaging of the "Platinum Collection" or  a set consisting of "Sounds & Sights of Summer" plus "The Warmth of the Sun". No bonus tracks. I don't wanna sound like a downer but imo history shows this is the most likely outcome.

I think the new set is not a reissue of anything that has previously come out. I'm guessing it's a newly-formed version of "Sounds of Summer" that simply adds extra tracks. As I mentioned, a 3-CD "Sounds of Summer" will undoubtedly look somewhat like "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 through 3", and will probably be somewhat like "Sounds of Summer" with "The Warmth of the Sun" added, plus some extra tracks. Or like "Made in California" minus the unreleased stuff.

I would imagine it's basically mushing that "50 Big Ones" set from 2012 with "Sounds of Summer."

There's a million ways to contextualize it, but it's just a 3-CD "Best of " compilation it would seem.

Essentially, making a 60th Anniversary compilation with the "Sounds of Summer" branding.

And of course at this stage the hardcore fans don't care about compilations. But I've LOOOONG given up getting worked up at all about hits compilations. I'd be stunned if they *didn't* do something for the 60th, and an expanded "Sounds of Summer" makes sense, it's the best-known hits comp outside of "Endless Summer", it's the BBs' "Beatles 1", and just as the Beatles later expanded "1" with videos, the BBs are expanded "Sounds of Summer", but simply with more audio.

I think what *else* is in the pipeline will be far more interesting to us.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:11:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »

Confirmation, of sorts:

https://www.yesweekly.com/music/still-cruisin-the-beach-boys-return-to-greensboro/article_719f121e-844c-11ec-a730-a7d94cd34fdb.html

STILL CRUISIN’: THE BEACH BOYS RETURN TO GREENSBORO
Katei Cranford
Feb 2, 2022

[...]

Citing the cruise as a sort of celebratory pinnacle, Love is excited to set-sail, cruising back on his cruising days, and an upcoming special-reissue of “Sounds of Summer: The Very Best of The Beach Boys,” the 2003 greatest hits compilation from Capitol Records became a hit in its own right -- spending 104 weeks on the Billboard charts.

“It’s got all of our hits on it, ya know -- from ‘Surfin’ Safari’ to ‘Kokomo’ -- and everything in between,” Love said, referencing the hefty 30-song tracklist, and the inclusion of two companion albums, on vinyl, and CD for the 60th-anniversary special edition.

In all, Love reckons the record will feature “75-80 songs,” he said. “So there’s a lot of music, and probably 90% of the SOS album we’ll do at our show.” [...]
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 07:20:26 PM »

So, it sounds to me like "Sounds of Summer" + "Warmth of The Sun" + "TBD 3rd Disc"

...I suspect the third disc will dig a little deeper yet into roads less traveled from the 60's-90's, and probably include two or three tracks from TWGMTR.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx