gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:37:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome Back!  (Read 9449 times)
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »

I’m home!
Yep! No place like home!!  Pirate High Five Rock! Love Happy Dance Bow Kiss w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Hello Hug group hug Old Man

I bet Mike Love had a hand in this!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2022, 01:01:26 PM »

You are worthy to join our crusade!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2022, 02:32:22 PM »

Oh I am so happy this board is back! Here's to looking forward to a Holland/Carl and the Passions boxset this year? 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2022, 02:39:00 PM »

Absolutely, SB! I like the way he thinks! The membership card is in the mail.   w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2022, 05:48:29 PM »

It's bizarre to me that the Beach Boys fandom is so dysfunctional. On the Hoffman forum there is a Byrds thread that has gone on for hundreds of pages and nearly a decade without a single significant argument that I can recall, even though there is of course a lot of disagreement as to the merits of various musical projects. And there were schmucks in that band's story that at least equal to the schmucks in and around the Beach Boys'. Am I missing something? How did music so joyously beautiful and issues so inconsequential give rise to all this rancor?

In my experience, I've seen two reasons: one, there are people who, while they are BB fans, use BB message boards to create trouble for a variety of reasons, including boosting their egos, putting other people down, getting attention, and so on.  Two, once more and more Smile tracks were officially released, including Brian and the BBs Smile albums, some people found themselves with less musical topics to discuss, and filled their time with reason number one.

Like with most things we discuss, we sometimes trick ourselves into thinking there are only two sides: left/right, liberal/conservative, Brian/Mike.  But the real world is nuanced and layered, like onions and ogres.  Binary Syndrome, some call it.

I'm sure you're right about the reasons, Charles. But if that is really why the Beach Boys fandom always seem to be at one another's throats, that's sad. Frankly I think there's a lot of Beach Boys stuff that is at least as interesting and mysterious to talk about as Smile ever was. The Pet Squares guy on YouTube shows that even things like the Little Deuce Coupe album are ripe for discussion.

But instead the fans just sink into the old Brian/Mike stuff, or worse, meta-Brian/Mike stuff where they're arguing about the Brian/Mike argument (or arguing about the argument about the argument). That's just pathetic.

1 million percent agreed.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »

Which hand though? 🤪

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2022, 06:40:41 PM »

Glad the board is back up. May we all remember the reason we are fans and the greatness of this music. Let's be good to one another. Here and on other forums. I'll be posting anywhere as long as the topics are interesting and the discussions can enlighten us more on our favorite group.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2022, 01:47:49 PM »

Finding out that AGD, and probably others, have spent time and effort making up myths and lies about me and this board, that I am only just now finding out about, reminds me of all the awful things I have witnessed here and on many other BB boards. 

This is where my issue lies. I’ve heard about way too many good people getting mud slung at them (both publicly and privately) by this cadre. I’ve heard worse stories and I will keep them to myself. And I guess some good posters there are just so entrenched or willfully ignorant that they don’t care. I’ve seen a lot of good posters start to basically exclusively post over there - and I get it, on the surface it a mostly peaceful and fun place to talk about music, but goodness look at the quote above from Charles - how can one read that and think that all is well over there?

I’m really sorry that happened to you Charles. And I totally get what you mean about getting physically, mentally, and spiritually worn out by this stuff. I contribute a lot of negativity here myself and I don’t like it. Honestly when this forum was down (and before I read the nonsense thread over at EH) I was very peaceful and content with life. Perhaps a long sabbatical would do me some good.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »

Stay https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Z_hskvz1M

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2022, 05:09:34 PM »

Finding out that AGD, and probably others, have spent time and effort making up myths and lies about me and this board, that I am only just now finding out about, reminds me of all the awful things I have witnessed here and on many other BB boards. 

This is where my issue lies. I’ve heard about way too many good people getting mud slung at them (both publicly and privately) by this cadre. I’ve heard worse stories and I will keep them to myself. And I guess some good posters there are just so entrenched or willfully ignorant that they don’t care. I’ve seen a lot of good posters start to basically exclusively post over there - and I get it, on the surface it a mostly peaceful and fun place to talk about music, but goodness look at the quote above from Charles - how can one read that and think that all is well over there?

I’m really sorry that happened to you Charles. And I totally get what you mean about getting physically, mentally, and spiritually worn out by this stuff. I contribute a lot of negativity here myself and I don’t like it. Honestly when this forum was down (and before I read the nonsense thread over at EH) I was very peaceful and content with life. Perhaps a long sabbatical would do me some good.

I feel you. Ironically I had just returned from my own sabbatical the day before the board went down!  Time away did me wonders actually. I no longer hold any kind of issues with the “legacy” being spoiled; being away gave me some perspective  . The brand being taken out of the hands of BRI was the best thing to ever happen to the band in decades (spoiler alert for a new post !), and there’s nothing Mike’s crew could possibly do to “ruin” their legacy at this point, and if he cant , certainly not a cape wearing buffoon and his cronies either. We as The Beach Boys internet community (both boards)are so wrapped  up in our little bubbles that we completely missed the landscape changing.

But…that’s a post for a different time

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2022, 08:24:46 AM »

It's bizarre to me that the Beach Boys fandom is so dysfunctional. On the Hoffman forum there is a Byrds thread that has gone on for hundreds of pages and nearly a decade without a single significant argument that I can recall, even though there is of course a lot of disagreement as to the merits of various musical projects. And there were schmucks in that band's story that at least equal to the schmucks in and around the Beach Boys'. Am I missing something? How did music so joyously beautiful and issues so inconsequential give rise to all this rancor?

In my experience, I've seen two reasons: one, there are people who, while they are BB fans, use BB message boards to create trouble for a variety of reasons, including boosting their egos, putting other people down, getting attention, and so on.  Two, once more and more Smile tracks were officially released, including Brian and the BBs Smile albums, some people found themselves with less musical topics to discuss, and filled their time with reason number one.

Like with most things we discuss, we sometimes trick ourselves into thinking there are only two sides: left/right, liberal/conservative, Brian/Mike.  But the real world is nuanced and layered, like onions and ogres.  Binary Syndrome, some call it.

If you need any help in securing (https:) the website or updating the forum software, feel free to send me a PM. I move websites regularly between servers as it's part of my day job...do all the usual maintenance required etc to keep everything running smoothly. I would say they are generally smallish sites though and this one is huge but happy to have a look. Biggest thing for here is making sure everything is backed up before making changes.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2022, 09:21:53 AM »

Glad we're back. I was getting pretty bummed at the prospect of losing the ten zillion posts going back 16+ years, to say nothing of obviously having the active board to share as well. It was getting pretty sad watching people over the last month speaking of the board in the past tense.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

If you need any help in securing (https:) the website or updating the forum software, feel free to send me a PM. I move websites regularly between servers as it's part of my day job...do all the usual maintenance required etc to keep everything running smoothly. I would say they are generally smallish sites though and this one is huge but happy to have a look. Biggest thing for here is making sure everything is backed up before making changes.
[/quote]

That would be great if it could be done. Don’t like the “not secure” warnings every time I wish to check up on things here.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »

Great to have this place back up and running again. This corner of the net has been a lot quieter these last few weeks. I'm not going to be one of those people that pile hate on EH but plurality is everything.

Confused as to why there is "rivalry" between this board and EH.  I enjoy posting on both.   Shrug

But anyway it's nice that this board was revived...with all the old posts still intact too!  Hopefully this doesn't happen again.  (I just jinxed it.)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:26:17 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx