gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:32:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome Back!  (Read 9450 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2022, 01:30:54 AM »

Phew, thought you guys were gone for good!

I was sad I couldn't mourn Ronnie Spector's passing with everyone here. A sad time in the music world and in the world of the Beach Boys too, as she was so hugely influential for them, Brian especially.

God, that was and still is such a heartbreaker. Brian’s reaction was the first thing I thought of when she passed.

Mine too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 04:01:32 AM »

Greatly relieved to have the board back!  I wish folks here and on the other boards would stop the “pissing matches” over “our site is better than their site”. We’re all fans of the same music, let’s move on. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2022, 04:41:53 AM »

I’m with you actually. I’m not going to lie and say the pot shots didn’t piss me off just a smidge but it’s small potatoes at the end of the day. Boards back and I’m here to see another day. Already off to a good start

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2022, 05:47:04 AM »

I hope everyone had a great and enjoyable Holiday season this year, and best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year in 2022!

So...Heard any good jokes lately?  Razz
OSD jokes? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 06:25:00 AM »

Greatly relieved to have the board back!  I wish folks here and on the other boards would stop the “pissing matches” over “our site is better than their site”. We’re all fans of the same music, let’s move on. 

I’m with you actually. I’m not going to lie and say the pot shots didn’t piss me off just a smidge but it’s small potatoes at the end of the day. Boards back and I’m here to see another day. Already off to a good start

Here is where I disagree. Well, I should say I partially agree with you guys, as these feuds are ridiculous. But the things said on the Endless Harmony (irony at its finest, just looking at their Smiley Smile thread) were not just "potshots" Billy. In the last couple weeks they doxed Guitarfool, they lie about events/people, they were just flat out rude and obnoxious to LePage. Some of the people complaining about being banned have never once said "hey, maybe I shouldn't have spread those rumors" or "maybe I shouldn't have made multiple troll accounts on Smiley" etc. I mean, it's really odd to see some really great people/posters there seem to not mind that any of this vitriol is going on over there.

It's also funny to me that some people there complain ENDLESSLY about those PMs being made public - when NO ONE there cares to delve into the content of those PMs, or if it was cool for someone with a "HISTORIAN" status to be sharing some fairly heinous rumors about the wife/family of Brian Wilson. No one there talks about that - instead they are only pissed that those messages were made public. I guess people there are cool with rumors/gossip being spread like that in private - but what gets me is that they bitch about Guitarfool being a horrendous moderator who has no moral standing, then they themselves throw out the morality book when it comes to someone who is meant to be trusted with FACTS who spreads fake information to new and old fans alike. It's a double standard - it's not surprising, but it's just really weird to see people complaining about a lack of standards here when they clearly have none themselves.

Also odd is this idea that most there who were banned from here didn't deserve their bans. MANY of the people banned there did some rather awful things here that made them deserve to get banned. Both moderators here can attest to that WITH PROOF (as much of the infractions are literally archived here).

And Billy, this is what I have an issue with: the EH forum temporarily became the only substantial Beach Boys forum out there this past month - and in that time we saw lies, names dragged through the mud (including yours Billy), and double-standards. That's why this is nothing that should be brushed off - because if this website goes down again, the only substantial forum left is the one cool with doxing people, lying about people, the forum that has to literally re-write thread titles because people are THAT hateful of Brian Wilson's modern music, etc etc.

I think the one good thing that came out of the Smiley Board being down for a long time: LePage finally set the record straight that "bills/money" have nothing to do with the board going down ever-so-often. So thankfully we'll never have to read AGD or his cronies claiming "ChUcKy DiDn'T pAy ThE bIlLZZ!!!!" ever again...then again, truth doesn't mean much in that circle, so perhaps we will hear the obnoxious line again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2022, 06:51:26 AM »

They seem to be really irked that another BB’s forum might exist. We’re talking about one of the most popular bands in history and they’re suppose to be the only folks online who want to discuss them? They want to be this insular little tow-the-line group of fans but can’t handle that the billions of other fans out there might want their own place to talk? Just another element that points out the core issue there.

^this is from a forum that has 16 pages, much of which is full of complaints and jabs, of thread about THIS Beach Boys forum.

I don’t think anyone here cares that other Beach Boys communities exist. My goodness there is a funny one on Reddit (not the main Beach Boys subreddit, but more of a "troll" community) that has me in stitches every time I go there. I think all of us welcome that other communities exist, I think our issue regarding Endless Harmony is COMPLETELY prominent in the 16 pages of vitriol that exist on the EH forum. People there are literally doxing a moderator of ours here. There are pages of jabs at the members here. Gee I wonder why we're annoyed.

And if members of the EH forum want us to live rent-free in their minds, so be it. But what annoys me is that newcomers will come along there and be totally swayed by this garbage. That good people get dragged through the mud because of the distortion of the truth that takes place over there (both regarding the fandom and Beach Boys history itself) - it is pretty awful.

*Edit: want to add that I'm not alluding that this place is perfect either. I myself have been a prick at times (even in my comments above I'm as far from a gleaming beacon of positivity as I can get), and I myself have been banned from other forums for trolling. So I'm not coming at this from some moral high ground. All of us are imperfect, I just wish that more people would do some introspection regarding this - and maybe then 16 pages full of obnoxious attacks on another forum wouldn't exist.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:15:06 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Julia
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2022, 07:40:18 AM »

Just chiming in to say, I think it's pretty lame that they spent 100+ posts patting themselves on the back for how "drama free" their community is when they only made it that way by chasing off anyone who did not fit their mold.

Guitarfool, nothing personal, has not always been the best mod. I'm sorry but I share that opinion. The Brian fandom sometimes blinded itself to the flaws of his solo career and it could hamper honest discussion of the newer music. This is a fair grievance, and it's good then that both forums exist so the different sub-communities can thrive without getting on each others nerves. Huzzah.

That being said, I don't recall Guitarfool ever publicly belittling a poster who is half his age until she left the forum because she knew she'd never be welcome. That was on Endless Harmony. As I recall, that particular poster did a lot in the early days of the forum to lay the foundation for interesting discussions so that the site would grow. But apparently that doesn't outweigh 1) daring to use the politics subforum they included and 2) saying "vinyls" instead of "vinyl records." As I recall, she tried to leave on somewhat good terms by saying something nice about everyone in a farewell post and these people, twice her age I remind you, took potshots on the same thread after she wasn't there to defend herself anymore. A different mod gaslit everyone by saying: "she has a history of causing problems," ignoring the fact the the first mod has publicly bullied her off and on ever since her very first post in a Beach Boys forum.

It all worked out better for everyone in the end, the youth propagated to the reddit(s) and discord(s) and BeachBoysToday forum. Meanwhile the clique who've been on the forums together for years and (for good or ill) have an established camaraderie with each other get to pretend they're the unambiguous good guys who never hurt anyone or made a questionable call with authority. Maybe it's petty to bring this up but y'know what? I exist, my experience was real and I took exception to being whitewashed out of history, so to speak. I mean, as long as they're apparently fine with bringing up old wounds, I say people in glass houses... yadda yadda

I'm glad SmileySmile is back for those who prefer it. I have no intention of sticking around and I think that's better for everyone, but I couldn't help check out the forums again when I heard this place went offline. I sincerely wish everyone well in these crazy covid times, and before you ban my new IP address, I'll show myself out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:49:23 AM by Julia » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 08:17:02 AM »

(From the EH forum)

For the record, for those at Smiley who are reading this, and I know you’re reading this, the mods here did not, and I do repeat *did not* change the title of my At My Piano thread.
I did that.
I originally called it “New Brian Wilson Album (Don’t Get Excited)” because we knew absolutely nothing about it other than we had one song from it that wasn’t what most would have expected from a new BW album.
Once it was clarified that it was an official BW product, and it was his fingers on those keys, and we got more pre-release tracks that actually started to intrigue me, I changed the thread title to the title of the actual album.
The mods do a lot here, some that I agree with, some that I don’t, but… what was the phrase… oh yeah… EH was “the forum that has to literally re-write thread titles because people are THAT hateful of Brian Wilson's modern music.”
No such thing was done by the mods here. Talk about “lying about people.”
Anyway, Smiley’s back, more chaos, you gotta love it

Assuming this is directed at me as I'm the only one who has claimed mods had edited the title...and yes I am clearly reading the EH forum as I am talking about and responding directly to accusations, lies, etc made there.

Once it was clarified that it was an official BW product

It was clearly and obviously a single from the official BW YouTube & streaming accounts from DAY ONE, the original title was up long after this should have been obvious.

and it was his fingers on those keys,

Brian literally plays piano for a living* (edit, I realize he doesn't really play in concert, not the point, he plays piano, writes songs on the piano for a living). See, this is what annoys me about this undertone from a certain cadre that Brian is incapable of doing anything himself without someone else doing it for him. It leads to thoughts like the one above. And I'm NOT blaming the OP for this - as I once had the same thoughts about Brian - I really thought he wasn't producing or doing anything much himself on his records. This was due to a common misconception that gets passed around by a certain circle who congregates now on the EH forum...but they were adamant in passing across these rumors here a decade ago. It led me to distrust a lot of what Brian released for years (though thankfully I no longer hold these views).

I honestly didn't even think of the possibility that the OP changed the title (ignorance on my part), so I'm sorry for the untruth. Thanks for the correction, I do earnestly apologize to you and the EH forum for making that claim...and I won't make it again.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 11:48:23 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 09:08:14 AM »

I read, now and then, every Beach Boys board I know of. When Smiley went down, I started to read EH in earnest as it was the most prominent board still "alive". Won't state my opinion about the board at large, because it would be off topic, so I'll limit myself to the 16 page thread where they talked of the Smiley board. About that, I feel authorised to express a sincere opinion, as after all I am a member of this board. So I'm sorry, but they don't get a free pass. I find that 16 page thread, overall, unforgivable.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »

I was getting worried. Glad to see we're back.  3D
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »

I am extremely happy to see this board back online. I don’t post here that often, but I do actively read the forums. I credit this board as being the source of so much of the knowledge I’ve wound up acquiring about my favorite band.

I joined here over a decade ago and read it even prior to that. Let me just say that I think the ‘split’ that occurred circa 2016 has been a very good thing. In 2014 this place was getting so toxic that I actually voluntarily left the forum for years and stopped reading it entirely. Bear in mind this was BEFORE guitarfool ever got promoted to moderator. I only actually started reading and occasionally posting here again in 2017, and by then the events that led to The Pet Sounds Forum’s creation had already occurred. At first I had no idea what had happened and was confused why half of smileysmile was seemingly gone and were now over there, but I managed to piece together what had happened through reading certain key threads that had been active during the time period I had been away. This board has been so much better since the split took place; it’s like night and day. I sincerely hope it never goes away and never reverts back to how it was prior to the split.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2022, 11:38:21 AM »

I’m so happy we’re back!! My first order of business is to find out who the heck decided to make the LPR soundtrack digital and streaming only and why? But I’m just happy to be back, I’ve missed this place so much.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »

I always had this page bookmarked, and I kept the faith and kept on rechecking - glad it's back!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 01:48:18 PM »

I always had this page bookmarked, and I kept the faith and kept on rechecking - glad it's back!

Ditto ... and ditto!

Kudos to whomever got this done!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »

(From the EH forum)

For the record, for those at Smiley who are reading this, and I know you’re reading this, the mods here did not, and I do repeat *did not* change the title of my At My Piano thread.
I did that.
I originally called it “New Brian Wilson Album (Don’t Get Excited)” because we knew absolutely nothing about it other than we had one song from it that wasn’t what most would have expected from a new BW album.
Once it was clarified that it was an official BW product, and it was his fingers on those keys, and we got more pre-release tracks that actually started to intrigue me, I changed the thread title to the title of the actual album.
The mods do a lot here, some that I agree with, some that I don’t, but… what was the phrase… oh yeah… EH was “the forum that has to literally re-write thread titles because people are THAT hateful of Brian Wilson's modern music.”
No such thing was done by the mods here. Talk about “lying about people.”
Anyway, Smiley’s back, more chaos, you gotta love it

Assuming this is directed at me as I'm the only one who has claimed mods had edited the title...and yes I am clearly reading the EH forum as I am talking about and responding directly to accusations, lies, etc made there.

Once it was clarified that it was an official BW product

It was clearly and obviously a single from the official BW YouTube & streaming accounts from DAY ONE, the original title was up long after this should have been obvious.

and it was his fingers on those keys,

Brian literally plays piano for a living* (edit, I realize he doesn't really play in concert, not the point, he plays piano, writes songs on the piano for a living). See, this is what annoys me about this undertone from a certain cadre that Brian is incapable of doing anything himself without someone else doing it for him. It leads to thoughts like the one above. And I'm NOT blaming the OP for this - as I once had the same thoughts about Brian - I really thought he wasn't producing or doing anything much himself on his records. This was due to a common misconception that gets passed around by a certain circle who congregates now on the EH forum...but they were adamant in passing across these rumors here a decade ago. It led me to distrust a lot of what Brian released for years (though thankfully I no longer hold these views).

I honestly didn't even think of the possibility that the OP changed the title (ignorance on my part), so I'm sorry for the untruth. Thanks for the correction, I do earnestly apologize to you and the EH forum for making that claim...and I won't make it again.

It's a bit mad that you are now actually quoting something from their forum after all that's gone down to separate things over the last few years. Maybe there could be a no mans land in-between forum for grievances?

Glad to have Smiley back. Doubt I will ever join any other BB's forum. I have very little to say  Grin

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 03:27:19 PM »

It's a bit mad that you are now actually quoting something from their forum after all that's gone down to separate things over the last few years. Maybe there could be a no mans land in-between forum for grievances?

I mean, someone called me out for spreading something that was factually wrong and I wanted to explain my position and apologize for saying what I did. I don't think that is really mad/crazy for me to do.

I did quote someone else above from the forum, and I don't mean to make a habit of that, but for 16 pages a lot of people have posted a lot of crap about good people here, and I wanted to share my opinion about it. I'm sure things will temper down a bit and get back to normal - whatever that is for our forums haha.

Anywho, I too am glad to have the forum back - thanks to whoever helped get it back up and running.

maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 04:39:23 PM »

I don't post here much but I've lurked for a long time. Glad to see it's intact and that conversation will continue.

From my outsider's perspective, the "drama" between this forum and Endless Harmony is quite embarrassing for pretty much everyone, but it really does seem like the MAGA-hat-wearing trolls mostly live there and not here, which is to Smiley's (and our mods') eternal credit.

It's bizarre to me that the Beach Boys fandom is so dysfunctional. On the Hoffman forum there is a Byrds thread that has gone on for hundreds of pages and nearly a decade without a single significant argument that I can recall, even though there is of course a lot of disagreement as to the merits of various musical projects. And there were schmucks in that band's story that at least equal to the schmucks in and around the Beach Boys'. Am I missing something? How did music so joyously beautiful and issues so inconsequential give rise to all this rancor?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:02:34 PM by maggie » Logged
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 06:04:32 PM »

I think the one good thing that came out of the Smiley Board being down for a long time: LePage finally set the record straight that "bills/money" have nothing to do with the board going down ever-so-often. So thankfully we'll never have to read AGD or his cronies claiming "ChUcKy DiDn'T pAy ThE bIlLZZ!!!!" ever again...then again, truth doesn't mean much in that circle, so perhaps we will hear the obnoxious line again.

My main reason for adding to the "Smiley Down Again" thread on EH was to answer the misinformation AGD was posting about everything from why the board was down now, why it has gone down in the past, what I was currently doing about the board being down, and the history of the board.  If this was from any other person online with an axe to grind, it would be one thing, but when someone who promotes himself as an "Author/Historian/Researcher" can't state the history of this board correctly (the imaginary "interim board" that existed between the Smile Shop board and this board), and intentionally won't accurately describe the current situation, then his credentials as an historian and researcher of anything, including this board, me, and the Beach Boys, should be questioned and not taken for granted.

To explain my comment on EH, "I will say that all of this has reminded me that, many years ago, Jon Hunt and John Lane were right, and I was wrong. I wish that weren't the case": for a variety of reasons, I stay away from this board, and really, any Beach Boys message boards.   A lot of great things happen in the online Beach Boys communities, but there's a lot of intentionally toxic behavior as well.   Finding out that AGD, and probably others, have spent time and effort making up myths and lies about me and this board, that I am only just now finding out about, reminds me of all the awful things I have witnessed here and on many other BB boards.  The mental, physical and spiritual toll wiped me out like it wiped out others before me.  I'm not diving back into that cesspool of negativity again; the last two years have not been fun for most anyone, including me, and I have too many responsibilities at this time to make myself sick by fighting stupid battles that never really end.

However, good news: there are active conversations about how to make sure this doesn't happen again.    It's too soon to go into details, but if everything goes well, the disruptions will be minimal, and maybe there might be some improvements.  I thank you all for being here, and for your patience.     

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »

It's bizarre to me that the Beach Boys fandom is so dysfunctional. On the Hoffman forum there is a Byrds thread that has gone on for hundreds of pages and nearly a decade without a single significant argument that I can recall, even though there is of course a lot of disagreement as to the merits of various musical projects. And there were schmucks in that band's story that at least equal to the schmucks in and around the Beach Boys'. Am I missing something? How did music so joyously beautiful and issues so inconsequential give rise to all this rancor?

In my experience, I've seen two reasons: one, there are people who, while they are BB fans, use BB message boards to create trouble for a variety of reasons, including boosting their egos, putting other people down, getting attention, and so on.  Two, once more and more Smile tracks were officially released, including Brian and the BBs Smile albums, some people found themselves with less musical topics to discuss, and filled their time with reason number one.

Like with most things we discuss, we sometimes trick ourselves into thinking there are only two sides: left/right, liberal/conservative, Brian/Mike.  But the real world is nuanced and layered, like onions and ogres.  Binary Syndrome, some call it.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »

Stop by more often Mr. Lepage. I enjoy your contributions!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 01:10:00 AM »

Actually one of the best reasons to have this site back is I was getting sick of reading ‘good riddance…shame about the lost historical archives’ posts. Hopefully that thought is put to bed permanently.

I don’t post as much as I once did and actually thought that might do me for Beach Boys message boards once SS went down, but I’ll hang in there. Nice to be back up. 👍👍👍
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 01:53:40 AM »

This site is(was) my first always go to , thankfully it is now back
Was rather fed up of hitting the F5 key for the last month  Smokin
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2022, 06:27:48 AM »

So glad your back....really missed you...BB landscape not the same w/o you!
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2022, 07:36:37 AM »

In my experience, I've seen two reasons: one, there are people who, while they are BB fans, use BB message boards to create trouble for a variety of reasons, including boosting their egos, putting other people down, getting attention, and so on.  Two, once more and more Smile tracks were officially released, including Brian and the BBs Smile albums, some people found themselves with less musical topics to discuss, and filled their time with reason number one.

Like with most things we discuss, we sometimes trick ourselves into thinking there are only two sides: left/right, liberal/conservative, Brian/Mike.  But the real world is nuanced and layered, like onions and ogres.  Binary Syndrome, some call it.

I'm sure you're right about the reasons, Charles. But if that is really why the Beach Boys fandom always seem to be at one another's throats, that's sad. Frankly I think there's a lot of Beach Boys stuff that is at least as interesting and mysterious to talk about as Smile ever was. The Pet Squares guy on YouTube shows that even things like the Little Deuce Coupe album are ripe for discussion.

But instead the fans just sink into the old Brian/Mike stuff, or worse, meta-Brian/Mike stuff where they're arguing about the Brian/Mike argument (or arguing about the argument about the argument). That's just pathetic.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2022, 09:33:10 AM »

Yep

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx