gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:03:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Michael Nesmith dies at 78  (Read 3086 times)
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2021, 12:47:26 PM »

Noooo! Now just Mickey Dolenz is left! Sad

Sad

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/michael-nesmith-monkee-seasons-dies-78-81679525

My  favorite Nesmith song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkL-w7Q1gvw
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:24:12 PM »

Rest In Peace.  Some great solo stuff, in addition to his work with the Monkees.  Loose Salute and Magnetic South are great albums.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »

Rest In Peace.  Some great solo stuff, in addition to his work with the Monkees.  Loose Salute and Magnetic South are great albums.
I just had the FNB trilogy on recently. And....drum roll please...finally found a copy of the non-lp single Rose City Chimes.
The Nez songbook is full of great music. Working with Mike must have inspired the other Monkees to do some songwriting themselves; my favorites: For Pete's Sake (Peter); You and I (David); Randy Scouse Git (Micky).
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 07:58:03 PM »

Just saw the Mike'n'Micky Show in Milwaukee last month. There wasn't much that could have been done to make that show better. They absolutely went out on a wonderful note.

I've been a Monkees fan longer than I've been a fan of anybody but "Weird Al" Yankovic. (Al since Eat It, The Monkees since the 1986 resurgence) So I could go on forever, but for this particular message, I'll just reflect on the First National Band Redux tour of 2018.

I saw Mike and the band (which included his sons Christian and Jonathan and Christian's wife Circe Link) at the Old Town School of Folk Music and had a meet-n-greet with him afterwards. The meet and greet was really cool; when he walked into the room he had a very calming presence and was extremely down-to-earth with everyone, and a really friendly guy. The show was amazing. It was the first time I'd seen him since his heart surgery earlier in the year. He seemed to have a tiny bit of a struggle taking the stage, but once he did take the stage, he absolutely gave it his all; you never would have known he had a recent health scare. He and the band were just effing fantastic.

Biggest memories of that performace:
- He did a brief set of just himself on stage (maybe backed with Pete Finney's steel guitar for a few songs), and he sang a few songs that he debuted at the Troubadour circa 1965. (He said 1970, but it was most definitely from his pre-Monkees stint.) When he did "Papa Gene's Blues," every single soul in that building loudly sang along on the chori. I noticed Jonathan off to the side of the stage with a huge smile of his face, also proudly singing along.

- The opening Magnetic South trilogy of "Calico Girlfriend," "Nine Times Blue," and "Little Red Rider" was just absolutely PERFECT. I wish I could re-live that moment.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 10:36:06 PM »

VERY Sad news - RIP Naz  Cry
I have seen quite a bit a footage of the recent Tour and really did fear for him (poor chap) and this news sadly has not shocked me - I do hope he found solace from those last shows
ALWAYS 'Listen To The Band'
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 11:59:49 PM »

I always liked the Monkees. When I was in grade school in the mid-1970s, there was a new thing called Cablevision and TBS out of Atlanta. All kinds of vintage shows were airing in syndication, including The Monkees, which I watched every day after school. At the same time, I bought the LP More of the Monkees for 50 cents at a yard sale on our street in 1975. Fun days.

Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 02:52:59 AM »

Incredibly sad. Probably the worst death of 2021 for me (followed by Charlie Watts). My favourite Monkee - have been spinning Nesmith's songs with them as well as First National Band throughout today. Am just incredibly grateful that I took the opportunity to see Nez and Micky Dolenz live when they came to Melbourne in 2019, which was actually my last concert pre-pandemic. Now only Micky is left. Just crazy to think. Vale
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 02:54:57 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 08:44:28 AM »

This may sound odd but I had a feeling this news would be coming soon. I could speak for days about what The Monkees and Mike in particular meant to me as a musician, because I count him as one of the primary influences on me doing what I've been doing as a musician. It was the triumvirate of The Beatles, Beach Boys/Brian, and The Monkees who got it all started and kept it going, and I can't thank them enough for all the pure, basic, gut-level happiness those musicians have given me and the world.

Confessional: In the last year and a half, and especially the last month or so, The Monkees music has been my primary go-to listening. Apart from digging the Feel Flows set when it came out, I haven't been as invested in the Beach Boys recently, even though I saw Brian live a few months ago when he came to town. The Monkees music is pure enjoyment and inspiration for me, and a return to a time when I was a kid with a tape recorder putting the microphone close to the TV speaker to record The Monkees TV show on either WOR or Nickelodeon in the mid-80's to get all those songs so I could listen back. And also, going to yard sales and flea markets with my dad looking for Monkees, Beatles, and Beach Boys records. And saving up the 10 bucks or whatever to get the Rhino LP reissues at Sam Goody or Wall To Wall when they came in stock. Of all the vinyl I've unloaded through the decades, not one has been a Monkees LP or 45. They're the special ones I'll pass on to someone special someday when the curtain closes.

For whatever reason, I started really deep-diving The Monkees on a daily basis in the past month, both the music, the history, and the interviews and assorted clips on YouTube. God Bless those who put up all of that new content, and so much of it was new to my eyes and ears which reignited the fire and made me go even deeper into the whole thing. And a lot of that was also Mike Nesmith and his solo career, and various interviews and appearances that turned up on YouTube. But seeing some of the Fall '21 reunion shows, I had that feeling...he didn't look the same, he didn't quite sound the same, but underneath all of that was still the Nez who inspired me all those years ago. I knew something wasn't right, and unfortunately had *that feeling*...

So it was yesterday when I got a message from a friend with the news, and maybe the whole thing was easier to take because at the time I was teaching a music class and doing what I love to do (thanks in part to that inspiration decades ago from Mike Nesmith playing his Gretsch on TV), and the friend who texted me was the friend whom I gifted Mike Nesmith tickets for him and his wife on his birthday when Mike came to town, and we all had a terrific night, and I got to cross off an item off my own bucket list that night when I saw Mike in person playing his songs. Full circle.

Thank you for everything Mike, rest in peace.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »

For anyone interested here's the discussion about Mike's solo concert in 2013 with some photos and whatnot:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16706.0.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 03:36:23 PM »

Over a month later and I’m still not really over it. Nez was the reason I bought a 12 string guitar.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 01:52:19 AM »

Same here.
Also, I still wonder if Rhino will reissue The Monkees "Changes" album in a super deluxe edition as the rest of their catalog has been?  🤔
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 01:53:02 AM by Bedroom Tapes » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 02:01:48 PM »

I always liked the Monkees. When I was in grade school in the mid-1970s, there was a new thing called Cablevision and TBS out of Atlanta. All kinds of vintage shows were airing in syndication, including The Monkees, which I watched every day after school. At the same time, I bought the LP More of the Monkees for 50 cents at a yard sale on our street in 1975. Fun days.
Those Monkees albums were all over the thrift stores in the mid to late 70's. I bought nearly all of them that way - including Head (with a promo stamp on the back). Took me longer to find Instant Replay, Present and Changes. The first record show I ever went to, I was specifically trying to find those later albums - and without a discography, I wasn't sure how many there were. Paid $12 each for Replay and Present, which was  lot of money for me in 1979. Took me 4 more years to find Changes - $15 for that one. I was very happy when Rhino reissued the albums in the mid 80's so I could replace all those battered thrift store copies.
Also found cassettes of the First National Band albums in the bargain bin; I played those over and over.
Never believed I would be able to see Nez in concert, but that dream came true in 2013. Very intimate show in Seattle; so eventually I  got to see all four individually; but only Peter, Micky and Davy together as a group.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »

When the TV show got its rebirth on MTV, both Instant Replay and Present were selling in the 30-50 dollar range in my area, at the local flea markets and shops. I was also so happy when the Rhino LP reissues came out! That's how I grabbed those two originally. Although the vinyl was thinner than those originals. This would have been around 1987, so even then those later albums were hard to find and pretty pricey when you could find them. The other releases that got pretty pricey around 1987 were the original 45's with the picture sleeves.

Scoring the Head soundtrack like you did in the 70's is pretty cool though. I have never, ever seen a copy of that in the wild, outside the record conventions and the better (re: expensive) vinyl shops. And even then it was usually the Rhino LP.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 10:38:56 PM »

When the TV show got its rebirth on MTV, both Instant Replay and Present were selling in the 30-50 dollar range in my area, at the local flea markets and shops. I was also so happy when the Rhino LP reissues came out! That's how I grabbed those two originally. Although the vinyl was thinner than those originals. This would have been around 1987, so even then those later albums were hard to find and pretty pricey when you could find them. The other releases that got pretty pricey around 1987 were the original 45's with the picture sleeves.

Scoring the Head soundtrack like you did in the 70's is pretty cool though. I have never, ever seen a copy of that in the wild, outside the record conventions and the better (re: expensive) vinyl shops. And even then it was usually the Rhino LP.
And the Rhino album changed one thing from the original - they used the long version of Porpoise Song. Those Rhino pressings were very good, though; although I've read that they couldn't find the master tapes for Changes, and had to take it from a very clean vinyl pressing. Later, when all that stuff came out on cd with bonus tracks, they did locate the master tapes.
The o
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 09:40:17 AM »

Same here.
Also, I still wonder if Rhino will reissue The Monkees "Changes" album in a super deluxe edition as the rest of their catalog has been?  🤔

I seriously wonder if many of those Changes tapes even still exist. I know in the '80s the reissue was made from a vinyl pressing because the masters couldn't be recorded.

But the one that is seriously in dire need of a "super deluxe" edition: Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. That's the only of their pre-Pool It! albums that hasn't had that kind of treatment.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx