gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:55:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Belle & Sebastian  (Read 5300 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2005, 01:49:01 PM »

Any fans around here? I love them, especially the past two albums (well, one of the two I'm referring to won't be released for a bit over a month, I suppose, so the past one album and the forthcoming one). I think that on Dear Catastrophe Waitress and the upcoming The Life Pursuit, Stuart Murdoch proves himself to be one of the top writers and arrangers in the current pop music scene.

I like the earlier albums, too, but they feel less concise to me, possibly overambitious (although maybe that isn't the word).

Anyway, I love them--and they're great live, too. Anyone else?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 02:42:03 PM »

It was all downhill after The Boy With The Arab Strap to me. LOVE the earlier stuff.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 02:44:21 PM »

Well, I guess if you merged our tastes on the band, we'd have quite the uber-fan.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »

Absolutely. Took some E, watched the band play the Coachella Festival in 2002, great time. They did a great version of Darlin'.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »

Sounds good to me. I saw them in what I think was their first ever Minneapolis appearance on Halloween 2003, after DCW. Great show, and a band of maybe 14-16 people (including strings, etc.). Great show.

By the way, nice avatar.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 06:38:41 PM »

I love "If You're Feeling Sinister,"  that's probably my favorite Belle & Sebastian album. 

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
GP1138
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 08:02:46 AM »

Still getting into them, but I love "Step Into My Office" from Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 07:23:01 PM »

It was all downhill after The Boy With The Arab Strap to me. LOVE the earlier stuff.

Come on, not ALL!  What about "I'm A Cuckoo", "Don't Leave The Light On, Baby", "Legal Man", "There's Too Much Love", "I Love My Car", "I Fought In A War", "Your Cover's Blown", "Wrapped Up In Books", etc.  No question that they have a lot of good tunes post-BWTAS.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »

If you dug "Cover's Blown" and anything off of DCW, wait till you hear the next one, The Life Pursuit. It's a GREAT album, fully 2/3 of it really, really good. If it isn't one of the best three or four albums of 2006, I'll...well, I'll...I don't know what. Something. But it's really good.

"The Blues are Still Blue" is a great, Bowie/Reed-style thing. White soul, I keep calling it. Really cool.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 05:20:01 AM »

If you dug "Cover's Blown" and anything off of DCW, wait till you hear the next one, The Life Pursuit. It's a GREAT album, fully 2/3 of it really, really good. If it isn't one of the best three or four albums of 2006, I'll...well, I'll...I don't know what. Something. But it's really good.

"The Blues are Still Blue" is a great, Bowie/Reed-style thing. White soul, I keep calling it. Really cool.

Everyone on this board should hear "Your Cover's Blown", at least once.  Probably one of B&S's best, IMO.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx