gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:10:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Varispeed on Honky Tonk  (Read 1066 times)
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »

I am trying to learn the guitar instrumental for "Honky Tonk" but noticed that the song is a.) fast and b.) ~20 cents sharp from A 440.

As I have been researching, it seems like Varispeed was common?

If so, what was the actual tempo/pitch for this song and how do I adjust that on a YouTube video?  I would like to learn as accurately as possible Smiley

Thanks!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 02:26:55 PM »

I'd hesitate to necessarily call what happened on Honky Tonk "Varispeed" in the intentional sense -- it's possible they sped it up intentionally to make it sound more impressive, but it's also plausible that it just accidentally got recorded slow or mastered fast or somesuch--I'm not sure!

You can't really adjust YouTube videos that finely, but if you have a downloaded copy of the song you can import it into any number of audio applications -- I use Logic's varispeed function or you can use Anytune which I think is free, although that doesn't have a varispeed function so you'd have to do some math to match the speed to the pitch reduction.

But in any case, it's approximately a 2% speed up to raise the pitch 20 cents.  My tempo analyzer puts the average BPM of the song at 125, so the original would be 98% of that, 122.5 bpm.  And it's just in the key of E.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »

I'd hesitate to necessarily call what happened on Honky Tonk "Varispeed" in the intentional sense -- it's possible they sped it up intentionally to make it sound more impressive, but it's also plausible that it just accidentally got recorded slow or mastered fast or somesuch--I'm not sure!

You can't really adjust YouTube videos that finely, but if you have a downloaded copy of the song you can import it into any number of audio applications -- I use Logic's varispeed function or you can use Anytune which I think is free, although that doesn't have a varispeed function so you'd have to do some math to match the speed to the pitch reduction.

But in any case, it's approximately a 2% speed up to raise the pitch 20 cents.  My tempo analyzer puts the average BPM of the song at 125, so the original would be 98% of that, 122.5 bpm.  And it's just in the key of E.

Or tune your guitar up 20 cents.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx