gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:05:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Esoteric engineering question re Let Him Run Wild for Mark Linett if you stop by  (Read 2506 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2021, 05:34:40 PM »

This is a question for Mark but feel free to contribute if you're not Mark -

On Let Him Run Wild, from what I can pick up from the various sources available to me, had a sort of unusual routing scheme to the 3-track, and I'm wondering if you can, A.) Tell me if I'm more or less right, and B.) if I am right, if you have any insight into the methodology behind doing it that way.

It sounds to me like the electric guitars are essentially multed and then have two layers of reverb going to them, and it's possibly the same with the acoustic guitars, although that could be down to bleed, which seems pretty heavy on this track especially.

With everything else, it certainly could be leaking/bleed into other mics, but I have always assumed that the electric guitars went direct like 95 percent of the electrics did in those days, in which case it is puzzling to hear them on one of the tracks with light reverb (along with the dry-ish drums and the basses) and then again in heavy reverb on the track with the Piano and Vibes and the other stuff.

Does that sound like an accurate assessment of what's going on?  Is it possible they routed the direct guitar signals to the drum/bass buss, sent some of that signal to that send's echo send, and then also routed the guitars to the piano/vibes track's echo send as well?

Regardless, do you think it sounds like EMT on the heavier reverb return, on the vibes/piano track?  It has a very unique quality on the higher electric guitar.

Anyway, I'm always curious what was going on when I run into something that doesn't quite follow the norm -- I'm trying to transcribe the arrangement into a full score, so it's getting the hard listening treatment now.

Thanks, Mark.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 08:22:55 AM by Joshilyn Hoisington » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »

Bumping in case Mark ever comes by again.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 08:09:18 PM »

Bumping one last time
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 12:24:53 AM »

I see Mr Linett looked in yesterday. I can only assume he's unable to answer your question, although it might be polite of him to say so. Huh

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 01:54:14 PM »

Well, I still can't figure out exactly what was going on here, but I realized the same thing is happening on California Girls; Carl's guitar is mostly dry (but not completely) on one channel, and pretty much all plate return on another channel.  If it weren't 1965 I would suggest that Carl had his guitar running through a reverb pedal on the way into the board, and then that signal's echo buss got patched to a different channel.  But as it is, I don't know what to make of it.  Can't figure out what two separate reverbs would be doing in mono.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 02:20:49 PM »

Just an idea: is it possible the second echo is a group of instruments sent to the chamber/plate via tape delay? This could explain why the echo might appear twice.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx