gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:24:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beatles' Get Back documentary (BB content)  (Read 2775 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2021, 11:10:42 PM »

Anyone else enjoying "Get Back" on Disney+?
BB content I've noticed so far...
1.  At the early rehearsals, Paul laments that EMI is providing them with only four-track recording equipment. Paul: "But I know for a fact that they got 8-track out for the Beach Boys."  Michael Lindsay Hogg: "But the Beach Boys are American."
Paul was apparently referring to the recording of the BBs' "Live in London" which was just one month earlier (Dec. 8, 1968).  Was Paul at that show?  
Not sure what Hogg's point was about the BBs being "American," as clearly the Beatles were much bigger a money maker for EMI at that point. Paul looks at him incredulously, and then the film cuts away so if Paul responded, it was edited out.

2.  Derek Taylor is in the studio a couple times. It was interesting to see a bit of him, as he's also such a legendary figure from the Pet Sounds/Smile era.

3.  Mike Love makes the cut, as Paul mentions him when reminiscing about the India trip.  Footage of ML hanging out with a couple Beatle wives/gfs is featured.  This name-check has gotta make ML's Thanksgiving weekend, as that 1968 trip is something about which he's been extraordinarily proud (and never shy about mentioning) over the last 50+ years.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:12:47 PM by juggler » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 11:54:20 AM »

Mike has to be absolutely thrilled that he's featured!! And as a BBs fan I think that's awesome. Cool

leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 02:41:01 AM »

It's subtle but when Paul mentions Mike Love, he pulls a face that suggests (to me at least) he found him a bit of an ass.  LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 06:59:11 AM »

It's subtle but when Paul mentions Mike Love, he pulls a face that suggests (to me at least) he found him a bit of an ass.  LOL

Yeah there's something there he's alluding to. I can't say whether or not it was Paul suggesting that Mike was an ass, but there definitely is something there.

It is cool that Mike gets mentioned right after someone mentions the lyrics to 'Back in the USSR' and Paul is like "Yeah yeah!" and he immediately brings up Mike Love because of it.

Also hearing Paul mention The Beach Boys (regarding the 8 track) made me smile - I honestly don't even know why. I think since The Beach Boys are my favorite band, its great to hear the greatest band acknowledge their existence (even in this case when it's just about an 8-track recorder).

AWESOME documentary and it makes me sad that The Beach Boys won't really have anything like this. This was such an intimate view of the Beatles and it really helped me appreciate their talent so much more. It's amazing how each episode seemed to fly by even though they were almost all 2 1/2 hours long a piece. The documentary was great at explaining the timeline of things - so I was surprised it never did a simple explanation of what happened with the Let It Be album (Phil Spector being handed the tapes, etc). But overall that was by far the best music related 'documentary' I've ever seen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »

AWESOME documentary and it makes me sad that The Beach Boys won't really have anything like this.

The underlying footage of the Beatles is just so unbelievable, it must have cost a fortune in film stock alone. And of course the cameras did not exactly create a creative working environment, so its almost certainly for the best that the Beach Boys never tried something similar. But man, what I would give for even a half hour of 32 mm color film showing Brian and the band working in the 60s! The Good Vibrations footage in the new Brian doc is more than I ever expected to see, of course, but it's amazing what a difference the higher quality film stock makes. In the Beatles footage, you're *there*, it's unbelievable.
Facherty
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 04:19:10 PM »

> if Paul responded, it was edited out.

I believe that the response was captured in the 1969 glossy photo book that accompanied the Let It Be release, credited to Jonathan Cott and David Dalton. The entirety of it:
George: Are we getting an 8 track?
John: Phone America, they're quick
Glyn: They've only got 4 track
Paul: I know they got the 8 track out for The Beach Boys. (Texan voice) 'n if they got it owt fer the Beach Boys...
...and then George changes the subject by singing a little of All Things Must Pass
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:38:40 PM »

The underlying footage of the Beatles is just so unbelievable, it must have cost a fortune in film stock alone. And of course the cameras did not exactly create a creative working environment, so its almost certainly for the best that the Beach Boys never tried something similar. But man, what I would give for even a half hour of 32 mm color film showing Brian and the band working in the 60s! The Good Vibrations footage in the new Brian doc is more than I ever expected to see, of course, but it's amazing what a difference the higher quality film stock makes. In the Beatles footage, you're *there*, it's unbelievable.

FWIW, the Beatles' footage is actually 16mm film.   But I agree with you that the picture quality is absolutely incredible.  There's no graininess or color distortion at all.  You say it well: it's like you're there.  It looks like it could have been filmed yesterday.  Kudos to whatever Peter Jackson and his team did to scan and digitize this film.  And kudos to the Beatles and Michael Lindsay Hogg for spending freely back in the day on the original footage.   It's an absolute grand slam.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:18:24 AM »

FWIW, the Beatles' footage is actually 16mm film.   But I agree with you that the picture quality is absolutely incredible.  There's no graininess or color distortion at all.  You say it well: it's like you're there.  It looks like it could have been filmed yesterday.  Kudos to whatever Peter Jackson and his team did to scan and digitize this film.  And kudos to the Beatles and Michael Lindsay Hogg for spending freely back in the day on the original footage.   It's an absolute grand slam.

I heard Jackson used the same technology that he used with 'They Shall Not Grow Old' - in the film it is stunning to see the transition from choppy black&white footage to smooth, crisp, large color footage. I highly recommend that film to anyone as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 05:43:26 AM »

I'm finding the film restoration to look a little too glossy for my tastes.  By removing the film grain a lot of detail goes out the window and everything looks a little unnatural.  This technology of upscaling old images with artificial intelligence is still in its infancy and I don't think this video quality will age well in time. 

But other than that this is still a fantastic documentary.  I just finished the first episode.  Which episode contains the Mike Love reference? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 11:23:12 AM »

Has anyone, ever, found him otherwise?
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »

Which episode contains the Mike Love reference? 

Part 2.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx