gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)  (Read 22419 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »

Clip for ‘It’s OK’.

https://youtu.be/VzAJouIwPTo
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »

Clip for ‘It’s OK’.

https://youtu.be/VzAJouIwPTo

Thanks! The song is kind of an odd choice for Brian's current voice, as it sounds like he has to really push himself to project as the lead vocal demands. But still a cool clip.

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2021, 03:08:09 PM »

Some gentleman collected all the legally available Paley tracks, and it's a hell of an album
(not included: Saturday Morning in the City. Not only GIOMH is not on streaming, it seems it's not easy to upload songs from it to You Tube) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1Cyd4gerY
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2021, 04:45:41 PM »

For me the WP sessions were a revelation, that changed some idea I had previously about Brian.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2022, 09:23:14 AM »

I keep on liking the Long Promised Road soundtrack, quite a lot.
Sincerely, I was not hoping for any more Brian album. I still can't really believe that we got two, and completely different to boot.
What we got is very, very near to a hopeless dream I had since... well, almost ever. A double album where the first side is melancholy, quiet, quirky Brian and the second is gruff, upbeat, rockin' Brian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2022, 11:44:19 AM »

The apparently kind of semi-inadvertent format of the LPR soundtrack (archival solo tracks mixed with more or less "new" tracks) might be a good way to move forward on further Brian albums, especially if they're not inclined to do a boxed set of rare Brian solo stuff. It would be way to get some new stuff out, get some archival stuff out, and potentially get better reviews/notices for "new" albums if they're back-filled with the best archival material instead of potentially kind of mediocre "new" stuff.

One of these every three or six months would be nice. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2022, 04:10:13 PM »

I am, maybe, the only one, but I like the new or newish tunes in the LPR soundtrack actually more, in general, than the tunes from the Paley sessions.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2022, 06:35:55 AM »

Some of the Paley tracks are mixed rather strangely. "Slightly American Music" sounds great, but "It's Not Easy Being Me" sounds really murky for some reason.

Are they really missing the multis on some of the Paley stuff to do proper remixes? It sure seems like they have multis on the two Brian/Beach Boys Paley tracks.

But in terms of quality, I think this album is all over the place, which I'm fine with. I love the idea of a dump of some archival tracks and some new-ish tracks, even if they're not all gems.

I said earlier in the thread that  "Rock and Roll Has Got a Hold On Me" kind of sounds like a more well-produced version of Mike's "This Too Shall Pass", but without the awful lyrics. And no, that is not particularly a huge compliment. I don't have much patience for the occasional "If Mike had released the same thing, everybody would hate it!" arguments made in fandom, but I can't deny that "R&R Has Got a Hold On Me" is pretty similar musically/backing track-wise to "This Too Shall Pass." Brian's track is of course just innocuous at worst, whereas Mike's track of course adds a whole layer of misplaced pathos ("it's kinda like a viral super bowl"). But the Mike track was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the Brian track.

The other relatively recent covers are cool curios, but I can't say I'll come back to them often. The fact that Brian chose to revisit "It's OK" after nary a peep for years is more interesting than his actual re-recording of it.

The title track with Jim James is really by far the most *interesting* of the new songs.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 06:37:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2022, 04:08:56 AM »

RRHGHOM is a (fantastic imho) repackaging and "completion" of "Country Feelings", a hidden gem of Brian's. I don't hear so much the similarity with the Mike tune, also due to the much gruffer delivery by Brian.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2022, 07:17:45 PM »

The soundtrack will hit CD in June!

https://theseconddisc.com/2022/04/26/right-where-he-belongs-brian-wilsons-long-promised-road-soundtrack-comes-to-cd-in-june/

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2022, 03:00:01 AM »

Edit…Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 03:03:44 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2022, 10:46:41 AM »

According to ESQ, Al isn’t on the new recordings? That may have been reported here before but is news to me. Does anyone know why? Was Al on tour with his storytelling shows at the time? Thanks!!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2022, 06:51:30 PM »

Just a reminder that the Long Promised Road Soundtrack is available on physical CD now. And from now, I consider the promise of the "rock 'n' roll album" fulfilled. Smiley
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »

The CD appears to be out of stock on the Walmart site, there's one copy on Amazon for $30+ and none on eBay. I hope they stock up on these soon, I need a copy!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2022, 06:58:25 AM »

This is hitting vinyl at independent record stores on 11/25/2022. https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15488

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2022, 09:48:25 PM »

Nelson's comment on this are interesting

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2022, 07:03:25 PM »

Who Nelson? Rick? Ozzie? David?
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »

Maybe they mean BW Band member Nelson Bragg.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »

Maybe they mean BW Band member Nelson Bragg.

Don’t feed the troll.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2022, 04:51:19 PM »

Yes Nelson Bragg, who's a troll?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2022, 10:42:49 PM »

Yes Nelson Bragg, who's a troll?
Okay, Nelson Bragg, that makes sense; but I didn't see his comments, whatever they were.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2022, 06:32:37 AM »

Why  does I'm Broke on this CD sound so bad?  It's murky and distorted like it comes from an acetate or low gen tape copy.  The version I have on boot (and is up on youtube) sounds much better.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2022, 06:36:49 AM »

A few of the Paley tracks sound murky enough that I wonder if all of the multitracks are/were available. "It's Not Easy Being Me" also sounds kind of murky. But then "Slightly American Music" and "Some Sweet Day" (off of the "Playback" set) sound pretty clean and punchy.

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »

The LPR album is a bit of a weird compilation imo as it’s a mixture of ‘new’/relatively recent recordings plus the mid-90s WP stuff.

I wonder whether the original plan was for Brian to re-record all the WP material for the LPR project, but they found that he was unable/ unwilling to do this, so they just put the original versions out instead.

This sadly makes sense to me, in part due to the, er, quality of his contribution to the new track Right Where I Belong.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2022, 02:08:43 PM »

I think the plan was to record the "rock and roll" album as something to accompany the film. Brian and the band did a handful of sessions and recorded about 18 minutes' worth of material, but that wasn't enough for a record. I also think that the sessions, regardless of what you see in the film, didn't go particularly well.

BW then had the bad spinal surgery (and an attempt to repair it) after the bulk of the sessions and has been in rough shape since.

I do suspect that "I'm Broke" would have been part of the new sessions, as they played it live a handful of times in recent years, along with the "Honeycomb" cover. The rest of the Paley stuff is filler, although well-chosen given the subject of the film. (Must be a Miracle sounds like a re-recording from the late 90s or early 00s.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:10:07 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx