gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:13:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)  (Read 22410 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »

Well, I just listened to the soundtrack on youtube. I only had my laptop speakers but I'll share some thoughts anyway.

First of all: Who is singing "Long promised Road" beside Brian and Blondie?
Anyway, not having seen the movie I nonetheless think that the album does absolutely work as a soundtrack. It's different than a new studio project but then it's also not just a collection of leftovers. I didn't expect to like the newer recordings as much as I did. Not a fan of re-recordings and also worrying that Brian's voice got weak these last five-ish years, "It's ok" is very fun to lsten to. That one, "Honeycomb", "Long promised Road" and "Rock and Roll has got a Hold on me" have a very dynamic sound to them. Especially "It's ok" and "Honeycomb" make you think that Brian sang along ive with the band (which may have been the case, I don't now). Very lively and very good. Sure, it's not all clean and on key, but it has feeling and Brian seems to be in the right spirit. After listening I actually think that a Rock and Roll album wouldn't be too far-fetched, especially with Blondie and Al helping out here and there. I was very much in doubt about that but after hearing these recordings I guess it could work.
BTW is there a list of who plays and sings on the new recordings?

I'm no gonna talk about each song, especially not the ones from the Paley sessions as I wanted to concentrate on the newer stuff. But I would like to mention Brian's great lead vocal on "Slightly american Music", especially the way he starts. Listen to that!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:31:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 12:00:30 PM »

Ask and you shall receive answers.

Jim James is singing on Long Promised Road, as he does on Right Where I Belong.

No notes have been released, but I believe that BW and JJ are the main instrumentalists on their co-written song.

Honeycomb, It’s OK, TNWSY, LPR and Rock’s Got a Hold on Me seem to be recorded with the 2018 touring band — they’re shown tracking Honeycomb and doing vocals on Its OK. Jim Laspesa has replaced Nelson and Nicky Wonder is still alive. Bonfiglio seems to be there too, though, and does the low “yeahs” on Its OK.

As far as I can tell, those five tracks are the first solo BW productions since 2011.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 12:06:31 PM »

Thanks, Wirestone!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »

The Paley Sessions are simply Brian’s finest moment as a solo artist. It’s not easy being me is his greatest song this side of love and mercy. This is a great soundtrack. Just get the rest released.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »

By the way, since there doesn't seem to be a physical copy of the soundtrack currently available on either CD or vinyl at the moment, you can purchase a lossless version of it on Qobuz in either 16 or 24-bit form (either version should play on your media player of choice and you can select a variety of different file formats to download it).

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-brian-wilson/i04a8mbtr8y9a

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2021, 12:40:51 PM »

The Paley Sessions are simply Brian’s finest moment as a solo artist. It’s not easy being me is his greatest song this side of love and mercy. This is a great soundtrack. Just get the rest released.
Agreed. All of those tracks deserve a proper release. They kick the @$$ of BW88 and Sweet Insanity, IJWMFTT, OCA, Imagination, and everything released since. This was Brian being Brian, without any outside influences (i.e. record companies, band members, lawyers, wives).
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »

Agreed. All of those tracks deserve a proper release. They kick the @$$ of BW88 and Sweet Insanity, IJWMFTT, OCA, Imagination, and everything released since. This was Brian being Brian, without any outside influences (i.e. record companies, band members, lawyers, wives).
I’ve probably listened to the Paley Sessions, over the past 15 or so years that I’ve had a copy, as much as any of my favourite albums. It’s amazing art and just so enjoyable. I’m a 50 year old man who is more than happy to sing Slightly American Music at the top of my lungs. It is ridiculous and it feels good! It’s definitely one of my favourite Brian periods.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »

Oh wow... heard the tracks from the soundtrack................................one-take style vocals from Brian instead of the professional leads of the Gerswhin or Disney records.... no one wants to tell him that he needs to do another take... sloppy and full of slurring... he even at his age could do so much better...  Huh

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2021, 07:19:43 PM »

Oh wow... heard the tracks from the soundtrack................................one-take style vocals from Brian instead of the professional leads of the Gerswhin or Disney records.... no one wants to tell him that he needs to do another take... sloppy and full of slurring... he even at his age could do so much better...  Huh

Yeah I mean I get why people want the "raw" thing and that it's cool to hear Brian so engaged. But for my money, some of his most affecting recent leads are on Disney, That's Why God Made the Radio and No Pier Pressure.

Overall I like the new album, but yeah, just my two cents.
SanAntone
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »

Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Tracklist
01. Right Where I Belong
02. I’m Goin Home
03. It’s Not Easy Being Me
04. Must Be a Miracle
05. Slightly American Music
06. It’s O.K.
07. Rock & Roll Has Got a Hold On Me
08. The Night Was So Young
09. Honeycomb
10. Long Promised Road
11. In My Room Live from the Ryman Auditorium
12. I’m Broke

Finally, I'm Broke and Honeycomb are to be officially released.

Maybe 1 or 2 too many Paley collaboration songs here. . .

Fantastic - a new Brian Wilson record. Joining this forum has already paid dividends. 

I found it on Spotify and am listening to it right now.  His voice sounds great.
RealBriefcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2021, 11:28:12 PM »

I really love the "new" version of Must Be a Miracle. I wonder if there's any other re-recordings of the Paley material we haven't heard yet?

The vocal on it sounds much closer to Imagination-era than the Paley sessions, but the backing track doesn't have that sheen from Imagination.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2021, 11:46:04 PM »

Great to see some of the Paley songs finally getting released! This is some of my favorite solo material from Brian, together with BW88 and the Gershwin album. I'm a huge fan of the original It's OK and I'm pleasantly surprised Brian revisited that song since many fans see it as "belonging" to Mike for some reason. The new lead vocal of course sounds very spontaneous.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »

I really love the "new" version of Must Be a Miracle. I wonder if there's any other re-recordings of the Paley material we haven't heard yet?

The vocal on it sounds much closer to Imagination-era than the Paley sessions, but the backing track doesn't have that sheen from Imagination.

We know that Brian, Andy and Don Was produced a track for The Beach Boys in 1995, so that's probably what this is, with later vocals. There's also a version of God Did It with Brian singing lead from the same period, and a few other whole songs that haven't been bootlegged. Release it all!!!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »

We know that Brian, Andy and Don Was produced a track for The Beach Boys in 1995, so that's probably what this is, with later vocals. There's also a version of God Did It with Brian singing lead from the same period, and a few other whole songs that haven't been bootlegged. Release it all!!!

+1

I'd bet the Paley Sessions will be out before too long. Maybe there's a little appetite for a 30th anniversary deluxe package ? ?
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 05:39:23 AM »

+1

I'd bet the Paley Sessions will be out before too long. Maybe there's a little appetite for a 30th anniversary deluxe package ? ?

It wouldn't be inconceivable for these leftover Paley tracks to find their way on some kind of release eventually but an anniversary box set commemorating them?  Highly unlikely.  If this soundtrack is any indicator, then dare I assert that the Paley era was mostly overrated, as the majority of songs really don't have much appeal to most folks save for the unconditional die-hards.  I guess if you really wanted a sequel to the Love You album then you might like these songs.  But having listened to this soundtrack it's very obvious why BW and the other Beach Boys abandoned these songs. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2021, 06:14:37 AM »

+1

It wouldn't be inconceivable for these leftover Paley tracks to find their way on some kind of release eventually but an anniversary box set commemorating them?  Highly unlikely.  If this soundtrack is any indicator, then dare I assert that the Paley era was mostly overrated, as the majority of songs really don't have much appeal to most folks save for the unconditional die-hards.  I guess if you really wanted a sequel to the Love You album then you might like these songs.  But having listened to this soundtrack it's very obvious why BW and the other Beach Boys abandoned these songs. 

I guess it's all up to one's personal taste. Must Be A Miracle and Slightly American Music have been stuck in my head since I first heard the soundtrack. I remember other Paley era recordings/compositions being really cool. I like the creativity associated with these songs - they aren't really trying to copy a previous era of Brian Wilson tunes (kinda like Gershwin and Disney) but are instead their own thing.

Personally I would love to see a career spanning boxset - Brian remixes the Imagination album and takes out the hokey AC sounds, we get a better mix of TLOS, the original mix of Gershwin, outtakes from those eras, the awesome demos from the TLOS era, the Paley songs. If there is any cool studio chatter from the Paul McCartney collaboration that would be great. I would LOVE it if Lana Del Rey OK'd the release of her vocal take of 'Last Song' for such a set.

Honestly there is something for everyone in his solo career. I'm not sure how feasible a physical set would be, but even a digital set would be tremendous for us.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2021, 07:54:06 AM »

A remixed Imagination would be interesting, but a remixed GIOMH with band backing vocals instead of the wall of Brians has always been my dream.
Acechaser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2021, 06:51:14 PM »

The Long Promised Road soundtrack could be called "GIOMH, version 2.0", as we're treated to more "real Brian" (vs. Joe Thomas-filtered Brian).  I like GIOMH more than most (in spite of some sloppy voacals), but I am not very enthusiastic about Brian's aged vocals on the more recently recorded tracks on the LPR soundtrack. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2021, 10:05:55 PM »

I really do not like the new recording of “Long Promised Road”. I’ve enjoyed when Blondie sings it in the live shows but the recording just seems poorly mixed and the vocal blend on the chorus sounds sloppy. Given that it’s the title of the movie, I was expecting something better.

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2021, 06:33:11 AM »

It goes too long, that's the problem for me regarding that version.

Man, "I'm Broke" sounds really weird. Other Paley tracks also doesn't sound very well, like they lost the master tapes or something.

I really enjoy the soundtrack, although the slurry new vocals makes kind of a link with the "Ever afterrrrrrrr" on "Fairy Tale" on GIOMH.

Ironically, the best of the most recent Brian vocals (ie. the verses of Where I Belong, It's OK) to me, in their own way, are a continuation of the "shouty" Brian from the Paley sessions.

"R&R has a hold on me" has its pros and cons on the vocal department.

I also noticed how on most of the most recent tracks they decided to left Brian giving instructions or the count-ins before the start of the songs.

EDIT: I mean, the end of "R&R..." is almost like when you heard an unreleased sessions from the 60s before the fade applied during mixing, but it ties good with "The Night Was So Young", where the "hideeeeee" almost sounds like a "Hide ay ay ay".

BTW, much has been sayed about the Paley tracks having Love You-qualities, but the production qualities are way much higher. I love both of them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:36:26 AM by Pablo. » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2021, 11:06:29 PM »

Man, after living with this Long Promised Road album, there are some things I really love.

Favorites from the project for me have to start with "I'm Broke". I freaking love it and I think it's one of Brian's best rockers, solo career or Beach Boys. The fuzz bass really gets it going and honestly whatever Mark Linnet did for the mixing and mastering honestly makes it just absolutely rocking. The song never really did anything for me on bootleg, but this here on this particularl album, it finally hit me.

I always really enjoyed the new version of "The Night Was So Young." It definitely was a surprise to see the song on the track listing and it was even more surprising to hear that we got a new Brian version of it and not some instrumental or something else.

Never really cared for "Must Be a Miracle" on any of the boots, and didn't really feel much for it when this soundtrack was first released. But this version is pretty affecting. For whatever reason, now it hits me. I see some of you all are saying this has a post-Paley sessions vocal? Isn't the track different as well? Any guess on when this stuff was done? Maybe around the time he rerecorded the vocal for "You're Still A Mystery"?

And thought I'm not usually a big fan of live stuff from any of The Beach Boys, I gotta say I really loved this version of "In My Room." For whatever reason this version just hits the spot, and I'm very glad to have it.

As far as the more newly recorded stuff, I really like the Brian's cover of the title track. Always happy to hear a Blondie lead, and Jim James voice actually did stick out like a sore thumb amongst the Beach Boys present. Also thought "It's O.K." and "Honeycomb" were cute, if a bit sloppy. But of course I think that was the point. I will also say I'm glad Brian finally got to record (and finish) his own version of "Honeycomb" which it seems like he's been trying to get on tape since at least 1974. "Right Where I Belong" isn't quite the statement song I hoped for, but its a solid tune by Brian and Jim James, and it's been growing on me. I don't think it'll ever be a favorite of mine though.

I'm glad "I'm Going Home" is on here, but I think I prefer "Going Home" from That Lucky Old Sun. Also, I can't figure it out but where else did Brian use the melody from the part "the moon and stars all seem to say / wonder why you ever ran away"? It sounds so familiar but I just cannot figure out what it is.

I've never been a huge fan of "It's Not Easy Being Me" and the appearance of that song on here didn't change my mind. I know it's the kind of thing in line with "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" but for me it just doesn't work.

"Slightly American Music" sounds oddly both very Brian and very un-Brian at the same time. Not a song a personally care much for, but it's cool.

Lastly, "Rock & Roll Has Got a Hold on Me" is cute, I honestly find it kinda endearing Brian reuses these old melodies. I doubt many people even know of "Country Feelin's" though I'm sure a fair amount more know of "In My Car." But whatever. "Concert Tonight" I honestly don't know that well, but it's interesting that even a song like that is fair game to be used for parts years later. I read on here that there was a recording from the earlier 2000s of "Rock & Roll Has Got a Hold on Me"?  I never knew that one.

I don't know why I went through all the tracks and I don't know if it'll be of any help to anybody, but just wanted to throw my opinion out there on this stuff, so hopefully it's not a drag for anybody to read.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:26:02 PM by Jim V. » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »

Also, I gotta say how on earth is there basically two new albums out by Brian Wilson and this board kinda don't care for sh*t? Like...two pages for this soundtrack? Has this forum really hit the shits that much? Shame.
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2021, 10:49:08 PM »

I'm glad "I'm Going Home" is on here, but I think I prefer "Going Home" from That Lucky Old Sun. Also, I can't figure it out but where else did Brian use the melody from the part "the moon and stars all seem to say / wonder why you ever ran away"? It sounds so familiar but I just cannot figure out what it is.

It sounds a bit like a line from Black Widow/Let's Do It Again, IMO.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2021, 09:10:11 PM »

It sounds a bit like a line from Black Widow/Let's Do It Again, IMO.

I think you might have nailed it. That might just be it.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2021, 05:25:06 AM »

I love the LPR soundtrack. "Raw" Brian exactly like I like him, darn Joe Thomas out of the picture. I consider the promise of the fabled R&R album fulfilled, and in a sane world "Rock and roll has got a hold on me" would be a Number 1 hit. I proposed the song to some friends, not BB/BW fans, and they were enthusiastic about it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 05:26:50 AM by starry1 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx