gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:14:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Song Question  (Read 4687 times)
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2021, 05:29:41 AM »

Any info on the release of the new song (Here Where I Belong), is it going to be a part of a soundtrack?
Thanks,
Dave
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:25:50 AM »

According to the documentary’s official Instagram, the soundtrack comes out next Friday.  I asked about it under the most recent post.

From the Long Promised Road thread. No doubt the new song will be on there as well as (hopefully) all the stuff Brian was recording in the studio in the film.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:27:57 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 08:26:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5ynS5URCQ&t=236s
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »

New Rolling Stone article out about the new song and the soundtrack album. There is a link to hear the entire song. I think it's fabulous.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:59:46 AM by Curt Lambert » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »

Thanks, Aomdiddlywalla!!

While I love the majority of the track (and really think it is one of the better compositions/recordings of Brian's solo career), I do wish that Brian had done a couple more takes for that opening and re-occuring line "For me, the loves, that's what the music really is". The "is" (at least I think it is supposed to be "is"?) is completely warped and distorted (I think both vocally and via audio manipulation to the point you can't really tell what he is singing. Not trying to nitpick it, but for such an incredible song it seems like a vast oversight.

Outside of that, the production is perfect - the tone of that piano works so well against Brian's vocal, and I love the buildup.

Can't tell you how blessed we are as fans of The Beach Boys to get all these new songs, this new documentary, and who knows whats around the corner.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bob has a Job
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 09:18:48 AM »

Thanks, Aomdiddlywalla!!

While I love the majority of the track (and really think it is one of the better compositions/recordings of Brian's solo career), I do wish that Brian had done a couple more takes for that opening and re-occuring line "For me, the loves, that's what the music really is". The "is" (at least I think it is supposed to be "is"?) is completely warped and distorted (I think both vocally and via audio manipulation to the point you can't really tell what he is singing. Not trying to nitpick it, but for such an incredible song it seems like a vast oversight.

Outside of that, the production is perfect - the tone of that piano works so well against Brian's vocal, and I love the buildup.

Can't tell you how blessed we are as fans of The Beach Boys to get all these new songs, this new documentary, and who knows whats around the corner.

Agree completely. It's a great song and probably my favorite thing he's done in the last decade (including TWGMTR in that!) And he sings the rest of it pretty well; I'm fine with slurring, I get that comes with old age, but it's rough that the song starts on such a strange note. And Jim James' part is so well done too! I can't wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack, I hope it's full of remakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »

Yeah, I had to listen again -- I thought the intro was a mistake!

I don't think it's too distracting in the song proper, but it doesn't work well at the start. Also, there's a point where Brian sings his highest note and he seems to shout rather than sing; that could have used a retake as well. But this does feel very sincere and genuine, and a proper co-write at that (the fantasy and reality part JJ sings gives me Bells of Madness vibes).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:24:39 AM by Wirestone » Logged
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »

I was just coming here to see the reactions to this song.

I was soooo offput by those first couple of seconds, but once Brian starts hitting those upper notes, it was pure Heaven. This is definitely where Steve Levine would've really come in handy.

Jim James' parts were gorgeous, too. I wish Brian would've had that part as well, but, I can understand with age, that's getting more and more unlikely.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »

I think this record really hits the sweet spot. I'm over the fact that Brian is never going to be a great vocalist again and I think this collaboration between Pure Brian and Jim James is very very good. It's honest, is the best word to describe it. I think the autobiographical aspect and melody of the song itself are good too and I can be critical if I think it's deserved. But this is one of the good ones.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:26:39 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »

https://consequence.net/2021/11/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-soundtrack-right-where-i-belong-stream/

'Nuff said!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 12:26:49 PM »

Thanks for linking that!

Tracklist for the album:

01. Right Where I Belong
02. I’m Goin Home
03. It’s Not Easy Being Me
04. Must Be a Miracle
05. Slightly American Music
06. It’s O.K.
07. Rock & Roll Has Got a Hold On Me
08. The Night Was So Young
09. Honeycomb
10. Long Promised Road
11. In My Room Live from the Ryman Auditorium
12. I’m Broke

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »

Interesting song. I was trying to pick out the bits in the doc, but how we can hear the full thing.

I think the morphed/distorted end of those two opening lines from Brian (which are repeated later) are made that way very purposefully. Whether it's successful or not, I think it's not like an error or glitch. It's an attempt at some kind of distortion of detuning or something.

The song has nice bits. It kinda has that feeling of waiting for the song to get going, and it never quite fully does.

But Brian sounds good on this, some cool lines from him (I'm guessing the song is probably a few years old by this point?)

Doesn't feel like A-game material, nor a strong likely award-winner. But it's good, it's solid. No complaints. Jim James's sensibilities on this track steer a bit closer to like a Paley vibe than sounding way off from Brian's style, so that's good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »

I like the new song. The bit at the start reminds me of the Night Bloomin' Jasmine demo, the part that didn't make it into Rio Grande.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 08:35:21 PM »

The beginning part seems to have been crafted to get revenge on Michael McDonald and to haunt his dreams forever.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2021, 01:19:06 AM »

Thanks for linking that!

Tracklist for the album:

01. Right Where I Belong
02. I’m Goin Home
04. Must Be a Miracle
06. It’s O.K.
09. Honeycomb
10. Long Promised Road
12. I’m Broke

Are those Paley era songs used in the movie? quite surprised by that list. Any CD/LP release planned?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 06:19:54 AM »

Thanks for linking that!

Tracklist for the album:

01. Right Where I Belong
02. I’m Goin Home
04. Must Be a Miracle
06. It’s O.K.
09. Honeycomb
10. Long Promised Road
12. I’m Broke

Are those Paley era songs used in the movie? quite surprised by that list. Any CD/LP release planned?

I've only watched the doc once so far; I sure don't remember all of those songs being used. Some stuff plays in the background (well, most stuff is in the background) during the film, but I'd be surprised if *every* one of those is in the film.

Parts of "Right Where I Belong" are in it of course, and studio sessions for "It's OK", "Honeycomb", and "Long Promised Road" are shown.

Maybe the TLOS version of "Going Home" is heard, I can't remember. There's a tiny bit of TLOS stuff in it.

Not sure on the rest. I sure feel like I'd remember if they had played stuff like "Slightly American Music" or "It's Not Easy Being Me." Looks like they might be using this as a dump for a lot of the still-unreleased Paley tracks. Which is kind of weird, but hey, I'll take it. I mean, I guess Andy Paley is in the doc and discusses (as many previous interviews) getting the post-Landy call to work with Brian. That's the only other connection to the Paley stuff I can think of.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 06:23:13 AM »

Listened to Right Where I belong......it's ok, don't like the off key singing in the beginning. Honestly, no sure why some are saying it's the best thing he's recorded etc....I think some of his ther solo stuff on Pier Pressure, Lucky Old Sun etc....is alot better, but that's the beauty of music, what appeals t one, may not appeal to another. Regardless, can't wait to see LPR, and it's great that Brian is still active giving us new music.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 07:18:47 AM »

Must Be a Miracle is notably featured in the film.

Some of the others seem to count as “rock album” picks.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2021, 08:20:54 AM »

Thanks for linking that!

Tracklist for the album:

01. Right Where I Belong
02. I’m Goin Home
04. Must Be a Miracle
06. It’s O.K.
09. Honeycomb
10. Long Promised Road
12. I’m Broke

I've only watched the doc once so far; I sure don't remember all of those songs being used. Some stuff plays in the background (well, most stuff is in the background) during the film, but I'd be surprised if *every* one of those is in the film.

Parts of "Right Where I Belong" are in it of course, and studio sessions for "It's OK", "Honeycomb", and "Long Promised Road" are shown.

Maybe the TLOS version of "Going Home" is heard, I can't remember. There's a tiny bit of TLOS stuff in it.

Not sure on the rest. I sure feel like I'd remember if they had played stuff like "Slightly American Music" or "It's Not Easy Being Me." Looks like they might be using this as a dump for a lot of the still-unreleased Paley tracks. Which is kind of weird, but hey, I'll take it. I mean, I guess Andy Paley is in the doc and discusses (as many previous interviews) getting the post-Landy call to work with Brian. That's the only other connection to the Paley stuff I can think of.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it.

Anyone know what the last word of the opening line is? is/feels?

I'm sure it was mentioned already but funny to have another Carl reference as the main song.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2021, 12:17:58 PM »

The bit at the start reminds me of the Night Bloomin' Jasmine demo, the part that didn't make it into Rio Grande.

Agreed, the progression is very close - the similarity jumped to my ears !

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »

I think Right Where I Belong is easily in the top 5 songs of Brian's solo career. It has those amazing melodies and just gives me that warm, fuzzy BW vibe.

It's constructed in a manner that has Brian's sonic DNA in it; it's unclear to me if some of that songwriting is Jim James duplicating the Brian sound, but none of that matters to me - I love it a ton. The retro-esque, but simultaneously timeless and tasteful production rules too.

Probably the top 5 released songs of Brian's solo career in my view are:

- Melt Away
- Midnight's Another Day
- Love & Mercy
- Right Where I Belong
- One Kind of Love

That top 5 list might fluctuate here and there depending on my mood, or if I were to re-listen to all of Brian's solo albums I might change my thoughts a bit... but off the top of my head, I think that's a fair list for today.

Great job to all involved in this new track.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »

Let's dig into this track list a little bit more:

Tracklist for the album:

01. Right Where I Belong

We've heard this. Lovely new track, although I also would love to hear more actual harmonies on the thing. Oh well. Featured in the film.

02. I’m Goin Home

Separate from the Goin' Home of TLOS, and not heard in the film.

Not heard in the film.

04. Must Be a Miracle

Paley sessions version appears in the film.

Not in the film, but a rocker of sorts.

06. It’s O.K.

Heard in the film. And heard again in the film. And heard again in the film.

The greatest mystery! I've never seen this title before, so I'm anxious to see if it's a previously unknown track. Not in the film.

Heard in the film as a new "underscore" recording

09. Honeycomb

Heard in the film. Hope they got around to adding vocals.

10. Long Promised Road

Heard in the film's credits sequence.

Also heard in the film.

12. I’m Broke

Not in the film, and I'm very curious if this is a new or old recording. Brian has played it live and clearly likes the song (for some reason), so we shall see.

Here's the complete list of music featured in the film, according to the credits:

Awake
Barbara Ann (live)
Busy Doin' Nothing
California Girls
Caroline No (BW)
Don't Talk
Fairytale Music
Farewell my Friend (Dennis)
Forever
Funky Pretty
God Only Knows (one BB, one BW)
Good Vibrations
Heroes and Villains (BW)
Honeycomb (BW)
I Get Around (one BB, one BW)
In My Room (one BB, one BW)
It's OK (one BB, one BW)
Long Promised Road (one BB, one BW)
Love and Mercy (BW)
Midnight's Another Day (BW)
Must be a Miracle (BW)
One for the Boys (BW)
One Kind of Love (BW)
Our Prayer
Right Where I Belong (BW)
River Song (Dennis)
Sail On, Sailor
Southern California (BW)
Surfin' Safari
That's Not Me
The Night Was So Young (BW "underscore")
The Trader
Til I Die
What's Wrong (Dennis)
Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:15:20 PM by Wirestone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 02:42:07 PM »

Wirestone, I was hoping someone would do a breakdown of those tracks and you greatly exceeded my expectations! Thanks much!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 05:20:28 PM »

Wirestone rules! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »

Just my two cents on "Right where I belong":

I actually like the effect they put on Brian's voice in the intro.
I don't, I absolutely don't like the lyrics of the chorus.
When I first heard a snippet of the song in the trailer, I thought this was Matt Jardine singing. Obviously was wrong. The other guy does a fine job.
I like that the rougher parts of Brian's singing were left in. It gives the whole thing much more honesty than a "clean" sound.

All in all, it's good to hear a new Brian song, but I'm not blown away by it as others seem to be.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx