gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:12:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie Posters For Nonexistent Beach Boys Films  (Read 2352 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2021, 04:51:59 PM »

Incredibly random! I have been trying to get more practice with graphic design and I thought doing a series of movie posters for a couple Beach Boys would be a fun project to help with that goal. I very much used the vector artwork from the Love and Mercy poster as inspiration, only I wanted this poster to be a lot darker in color and theme.

I guess a dream film for me would be something like the aborted "The Drummer" film - I would love to see Paul Dano reprise his role as Brian Wilson, and would love it if Bill Pohlad decided to create a similar but different film about Dennis. I also think that Aaron Eckhart was such a great pick for Dennis. I really wish that film had come to fruition.

Anyways, it probably wasn't worth creating a whole new topic for this, but I'm hoping to create more to post, and if anyone wants to add their own Beach Boys related photoshops to this, feel free!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »

Fab - ironically, I’m watching “2010” as I type this and just heard “my God it’s full of stars!”

Anyway, I love the poster idea! Well done!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:53:43 PM »

Fab - ironically, I’m watching “2010” as I type this and just heard “my God it’s full of stars!”

Anyway, I love the poster idea! Well done!

I liked 2010 the book better than the movie, but the movie is pretty good for its time. The story is really good though - definitely one of my favorite Clarke stories.

And thanks! I have some ideas for more that I want to make. I’ll post if I get around to making them.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »

Nice work!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 05:55:37 AM »

Thanks, Emdeeh!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:21:21 AM »

Just like WOW, Rab!! I need that poster hanging in my man cave! So damn cool!  Cool Guy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »

Very good.

Is there a "real" missing somewhere near the bottom? Wink

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 03:31:34 AM »

Very good.

Right?? Grin and thanks!

@OSD I have a Love and Mercy movie poster in my office that gave me the inspiration for this, if it didn’t cost so much it would be nice to refine the above poster and get it printed to size. Maybe one day.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 07:53:27 AM »

Very good.

Right?? Grin and thanks!

@OSD I have a Love and Mercy movie poster in my office that gave me the inspiration for this, if it didn’t cost so much it would be nice to refine the above poster and get it printed to size. Maybe one day.
What kind of price tag are we talking about, Rab??

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »

That's fantastic! I'd get a print of that too! Hang it next to my giant Smile poster and the framed "Teen Set" Smile ad on my music wall (next to a vintage Johnny Carson print ad too).  The only thing I'd change would be to replace the name of the newspaper at the top, but that's my own set of issues with that rag.  Wink

('Variety' would be a better quote reference IMO)  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »

@OSD & Guitarfool,

Vistaprint offers a price of $40 to get one semi-gloss, laminated, 24x36 poster (which is the size I created this in). I will email you both the high quality file you'll need to upload to the Vistaprint site.

And Guitarfool, I will absolutely change that to 'Variety' for you Smiley

I'm also going to clean some stuff up before sending it to you both - I'll make the river wider toward the bottom and add some variety in the size of the stars behind Dennis. Also, something that isn't seen in the lo-res version above: in the PG-13 box, the rating explanation says "For thematic elements, drug use, absurd amounts of sexual content. It is Dennis Wilson afterall." I can keep that in or take it out (I don't know if it's too crass for ya'll haha)...just let me know!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »

Sold, Rab! Just let me know what and how to do this. And, THANK YOU!!  Smiley

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 11:51:13 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous, Rab! Let's hope someday that it (the Dennis biopic) will no longer be non-existent. When that day comes, the poster is ready already!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 08:20:03 AM »

Absolutely gorgeous, Rab! Let's hope someday that it (the Dennis biopic) will no longer be non-existent. When that day comes, the poster is ready already!

Thanks! What a dream it would be for that to become a reality. It's tough, because you don't want Hollywood bungling his story, but I think his music is highly underrated and should be heard by more people - and a biopic would be a great vessel for that.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx