gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:22:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who here wants a Beach Boys version of Disney+'s 'Get Back'?  (Read 1935 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:31:03 AM »

Ok, I know we wouldn't get a direct copy of 'Get Back' as I don't think anyone was let into a studio to film 57 hours of footage of the Beach Boys. But I would love it if HBO or Disney would attempt to do a 6 hour miniseries on The Beach Boys - whether just a section of their career or a whole retrospective thing.

One thing I found very interesting when looking into 'Get Back': Peter Jackson asked to review all the footage before he made a decision about doing the film - because if the footage showed an overall negative feeling he didn't want to do it. But he said the footage just had him laughing (I think due to how well the Beatles were getting along and how they were joking around) so he decided to take the project on.

I honestly don't think The Beach Boys would have a similar issue, as the chaos is a central part of the story. But then again, I doubt any major director would want to be caught in the middle of any ongoing issues (or be responsible for possibly fanning the flames of certain issues).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »

Yes, I would love such a project.

Just to go with your hypothetical: is there footage of 1960s/early 1970s Beach Boys studio sessions that is known to actually exist? Or to the extent that it does, is it audio only with no video?

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 01:44:44 PM »

Beach Boys version could be “Getcha Back” or maybe “Watch Your Back”!!!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »

I'm still not buying the idea that the Get Back sessions were all fun and laughs. The group DID break up after agreeing to record one more album. There were a multitude of reasons for the group falling apart. I don't want a spin doctored look at the Beach Boys history. Just tell the truth of what happened.
The comparison I would make would be The Beatles Anthology series. Just let the guys tell the story themselves. There's plenty of interview footage out there; I realize getting more than a few words out of Brian these days is a challenge, but it wasn't back in the old days. There's that one clip where Brian is talking about whatever, then catches himself, and says something like "here I am blabbing away" and Carl breaks up laughing. "I like food!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 07:34:09 PM »

I'm still not buying the idea that the Get Back sessions were all fun and laughs. The group DID break up after agreeing to record one more album. There were a multitude of reasons for the group falling apart. I don't want a spin doctored look at the Beach Boys history. Just tell the truth of what happened.
The comparison I would make would be The Beatles Anthology series. Just let the guys tell the story themselves. There's plenty of interview footage out there; I realize getting more than a few words out of Brian these days is a challenge, but it wasn't back in the old days. There's that one clip where Brian is talking about whatever, then catches himself, and says something like "here I am blabbing away" and Carl breaks up laughing. "I like food!"

Even from the trailer of the 'Get Back' series you can easily see that the sessions were not all fun and laughs. I think Jackson's point was that there was this overall perception of 99% negativity regarding the Beatles' time together during those sessions, and he found out that the sessions actually had a lot of good/fun moments associated with them.

If someone did do a substantial series about The Beach Boys, it would be great if they could tell the story themselves. However, even Brian himself has proven to not be the most reliable of sources...so having some form of unbiased fact-checking would be great to have at points in the series (whether by an unbiased historian, or a narrator guiding the story along).

I'd love to see a 50 Sides Of The Beach Boys type series....chronologically take like 25 songs spanning their career and make 10 minute segments about each of them. Interviews, footage, musicians. From their first single to 'Summer's Gone'.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 03:16:19 PM »

If only David Oppenheim's Smile-era footage and audio could be found...

Title: Re: Missing sections from the 'Smile' album
Post by: guitarfool2002 on September 17, 2016, 08:45:42 AM
Here are some of them - I have the full set on another drive. For those who missed it the first times around, I'll also paste some analysis of the notes too, and a background of how all of this came together. It's long.

9. Let's work on microphone
boys around mike
Do wa

85 Brian at piano working out
Yodelledo
then group sings at mike

86 Group around mike Yodelledo
Playback Yodelledoo's control in b.g.
Inside control room Group & Engineer Da daum(?)
Go out into studio Brian eating cereal record da da da

Beach Boys

1. around mike Yodeladeeo pan to Piano
Brian walks out frame(?) to outside booth playback
walks to control board

2. Brian talking ?  (bad pa toheps) to engineer
3. dark 4/s listening to playback
Brian goes to ?   (sirke?!) eats, put on headphones
sing dine dine

Scratch

1. control board thru window track on(?)
dine dine
Let's go have some Zen accompaniment
2. Brian at piano from behind
plays chords

engineer thru glass to group in(?) b.g. record da da
group comes back into room & listens to da da da
let's go lets have some zen compliment

Brian at piano from behind accomp. to Surf's up
to hands to face CL around to x & back to CL

88 Brian eating
headphones listening to piano track
sings lead on(?) thru piano
1 more time
--> tone(?) & start again side view CL
-> start at 2nd verse hung velvet
misses the glass
pickup hung velvet stop at dove nested
have echo on me
pickup again at hung velvet

89 Overdubs
hung velvet lead on(?)  (jumoles?!?!) -- let's overdub
it
move to CR side (?).s. 11(?) more around behind
move around to face CL he gestures
he talks while voice go(?)

mono mix - Id like it softer
let's go to top is that cool

LS CL overdub
LS hung velvet out sync
LS thru control room
2nd shot n.g.(?)
needle
recorder pan to engineer back to recorder

--> playback engineers bg Wilson fig.
fade in(?)
kneels -- can have muted trumpet go bleep(?)
move to us(?) half of Jules
Brian coat on walks out

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=24381.0
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 08:10:23 PM »

There’s not a lot of film footage of The Beach Boys in the studio at their peak. I don’t think they ever allowed anyone to document them as extensively as The Beatles did during that time.  The only thing I could think of that might be cool is the raw footage from the 1976 TV special if it exists, if there’s more of that concert for instance and more rehearsal and interview footage, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s enough for a full-length documentary there.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 09:51:23 AM »

There’s not a lot of film footage of The Beach Boys in the studio at their peak. I don’t think they ever allowed anyone to document them as extensively as The Beatles did during that time.  The only thing I could think of that might be cool is the raw footage from the 1976 TV special if it exists, if there’s more of that concert for instance and more rehearsal and interview footage, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s enough for a full-length documentary there.

The first part is absolutely not true: BRI is sitting on over 45 minutes of 1966 Good Vibrations session footage which fans have seen roughly 4-5 minutes of so far "officially", scattered around various TV programs starting during the C50 hoopla back in 2012. 45 minutes! I think the only airing so far was that it was screened at a UK "fan fest" or something.

The fact fans can't see the full run of footage showing Brian Wilson literally "at his peak" as a record producer both working a vocal session at Columbia and tracking inside Western #3 (with the Wrecking Crew), and the band captured on film recording perhaps their most influential and forward-thinking song that became a worldwide #1 hit record is to me ridiculous, and it needs to see an official release outside of a fan gathering. Even if it's silent footage, it's historically valuable and fans would want to see it. But I've been beating that drum for years now and maybe someday people will be able to see the full run of footage they've been sitting on.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 06:10:02 PM »

The first part is absolutely not true: BRI is sitting on over 45 minutes of 1966 Good Vibrations session footage which fans have seen roughly 4-5 minutes of so far "officially", scattered around various TV programs starting during the C50 hoopla back in 2012. 45 minutes! I think the only airing so far was that it was screened at a UK "fan fest" or something.

The fact fans can't see the full run of footage showing Brian Wilson literally "at his peak" as a record producer both working a vocal session at Columbia and tracking inside Western #3 (with the Wrecking Crew), and the band captured on film recording perhaps their most influential and forward-thinking song that became a worldwide #1 hit record is to me ridiculous, and it needs to see an official release outside of a fan gathering. Even if it's silent footage, it's historically valuable and fans would want to see it. But I've been beating that drum for years now and maybe someday people will be able to see the full run of footage they've been sitting on.

What kills me is that NOW is the time to release this stuff. I just wonder how thriving The Beach Boys fan community will be in 20, 30 years. I hope that it is alive and well. But the world is changing, tastes are changing, and I fear that The Beach Boys will slowly continue to simmer down in popularity (and with that, what is the likelihood that BRI would be pushing release of this footage in 20, 30 years?). Now is the time. I know there are so many factors at play, but The Beach Boys just continuously shoot themselves in the foot with a sawed-off shotgun at every chance they get. So many opportunities for greatness squandered later in their career.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx