gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:47:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoCash Wrote + Recorded New Song ‘Beach Boys’ With the Actual Beach Boys  (Read 13232 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2022, 01:51:01 AM »

I hear Mike in the beginning and I think I hear him in the chorus throughout the song but he’s definitely buried. I don’t hear Bruce at all. The “round round get around” is catchy but that’s because it emulates the original - the falsetto makes it more appealing to me, but not much more. It’s odd to hear “drink ‘em down down drink ‘em down” considering The Beach Boys and their depressing history with alcohol abuse - I know it’s just meant to be a fun song, but to me it’s just an odd combination.

It does make sense that they waited for a little warmer weather to release it, I can see this being popular on summer playlists for barbecues.

It’s not my thing, but maybe it’ll get some people interested in the real Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2022, 05:22:53 AM »

HeyJude, you may be relieved to see the Beach Boys logo didn’t make it to the final release. (I guess just the advertising leading up to it?)

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2022, 06:43:37 AM »

Heyjude and Rab better get in line and like the song (or else) from the good people at the EH board. Roll Eyes

LOL yeah, I guess me sharing my viewpoints is me “stroking out”? One guy said the “rage” here made him relisten to the song, whereupon he found he likes the tune.

Honestly, if people like this song and get some joy from it, I’m glad! For me, I live in what was previously a confederate state (whose many occupants listen to this music constantly), so I’ve heard this exact song (with slight variation) for the last 15+ years (trucks, rednecks, booze). If this music is new to some people (or the addition of The Beach Boys adds a nice flavor), or they just like the song, that’s great. For me, it has been an unoriginal genre for over a decade (maybe even longer), and it’s odd to see The Beach Boys associated with it…especially as the year of the 60th anniversary gets underway.

The guy making the accusation was the asshole who threw a hissy fit and pulled his News clipping scans when AGD was banned. And he has the nerve to say rab and HJ were “stroking out”.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:09:36 AM by RJM » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2022, 07:00:08 AM »

I think the "what damages the legacy" debate is a non-starter. I think one either gets or doesn't get it. Nothing much (barring some Billy Cosby/Michael Jackson-level scandal) is going to like literally bring down the BB legacy, and even a scandal of that order probably wouldn't since the BBs are a group and not a single person.

It's simply a question of what adds or subtracts to it. This track can only subtract, but probably not a great deal. This track will surely quickly fall into obscurity. I'd have to look back, but I don't think I even invoked any ideas of the band's "legacy" regarding this Locash track. I think other things (a few Mike gig choices of recent years, the clusterf**k ending of the 50th anniversary, that '88 Rock Hall speech, etc.) are far more damaging to the band's legacy.

My criticism of this track has been entirely in the here and now. It's just awful music on every level. Even viewed simply as *product*, it's bad. This act doesn't even seem to be an A-lister within this country sub-genre.

Did Locash track down Mike Love on Cameo or something? This smells much more like that than some kind of inspired collaboration.

I'm not saying Mike's the only guy in the music industry with a ton of side-hustles and whatnot. But I don't think it's crazy to be a little depressed that he'll sign up for stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrtoQ0e5hoQ

And this Locash track is the musical guest star equivalent of agreeing to do what's in that video.

Like, I'd *love* to see the requests for collaborations and guest spots that are *turned down* by Mike....

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree, and that's fine in this case. I don't think this track subtracts at all. I suppose it's largely going to come down to whether or not you like the music. And I think it's fine. Also, for what it's worth, I haven't really seen any of Mike's gig choices in recent years as problematic.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »

Heyjude and Rab better get in line and like the song (or else) from the good people at the EH board. Roll Eyes

LOL yeah, I guess me sharing my viewpoints is me “stroking out”? One guy said the “rage” here made him relisten to the song, whereupon he found he likes the tune.

Honestly, if people like this song and get some joy from it, I’m glad! For me, I live in what was previously a confederate state (whose many occupants listen to this music constantly), so I’ve heard this exact song (with slight variation) for the last 15+ years (trucks, rednecks, booze). If this music is new to some people (or the addition of The Beach Boys adds a nice flavor), or they just like the song, that’s great. For me, it has been an unoriginal genre for over a decade (maybe even longer), and it’s odd to see The Beach Boys associated with it…especially as the year of the 60th anniversary gets underway.

The guy making the accusation was the asshole who threw a hissy fit and pulled his News clipping scans when AGD. And he has the nerve to say ran and HJ were “stroking out”.

He also randomly asked Guitarfool to stop posting his opinion a couple weeks ago for whatever reason....the most odd part being Steve was responding to Guitarfool's post about distribution/financial backing on the LPR documentary and how it related to the Jonas brother's inclusion in the film...probably the least controversial Beach Boys topic in existence. But hey, to each their own - some get pissed off at trophy hunting gigs and bro-country, I guess others get fired up about conversation surrounding LPR talking heads.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2022, 07:43:16 AM »

I'm actually surprised that Mike is going on Reddit for this AMA. Reddit is very well known for being a haven of liberal/progressive thought. Given Mike's Trump connection, The Beach Boys music boycott, etc - I wonder how it will go. Perhaps few even remember that stuff or don't know much about it - but I don't think I'd risk it if I were him.

I wish him the best, and perhaps nothing controversial will be brought up.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2022, 09:24:36 AM »

Just to refresh and update, here's the link to the track on YouTube again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSI_YHBX0w

And what's interesting to note is in the comments, there is this from an Austrian fan:

I am sure many self-proclaimed diehard fans of the Beach Boys (especially from the infamous Smiley Smile Board) will hate this with a passion, even without listening to the song (mainly because they hate everything that Mike Love does; but that's a different story), but I love it. It gives you a great summer feeling.

So now people are trying to take shots at this board on YouTube too? Nothing better to do? Thanks for the name-check though, and if this LoCash video gets more than the 490 views it has as of this morning, maybe more people will say "Hey, what's this infamous board they're going on about?" and check it out. Unless it's just some of the same tired, old, usual suspects and banned/disgruntled former members trying to go around bashing this forum and promoting another. Who knows.

As far as the song itself, I don't hear much of Mike and Bruce at all, and production-wise, the Autotune is annoying, as is the repetition ad nauseum of the "round round get around" hook, especially at the end, and also nicking the classic Dobie Gray "Drift Away" hook over that other BB's hook. It sounds pretty much like a lot of other Bro Country that's been out there for the past 8 years or so, and not too far away from what Uncle Kracker was doing 20 years ago. Like Rab said, if people dig it and this tune makes them happy, that's cool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:40:05 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »

Is Bro Country still a thing? I thought it peaked, like 5 years ago.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »

Here's a better collab: Al Jardine signing someone's drawing of a can of sardines:

Speaking of collabs, a new Noven Jaisi/Mike Love video just dropped this week too, I guess it's either fake or real depending on how the coin lands, but interesting how not only are there more random C50 clips showing Brian and Al and others no longer on tour with Mike, but also an out of context Sean Lennon clip this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQRm2VfaAg

The more things change, the more they stay the same? I guess the consistency is comforting in the same way going to a dentist for a procedure and knowing in advance you'll get a giant needle jabbed into your cheek lessens the impact a bit.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2022, 10:19:55 AM »

And what's interesting to note is in the comments, there is this from an Austrian fan:

I am sure many self-proclaimed diehard fans of the Beach Boys (especially from the infamous Smiley Smile Board) will hate this with a passion, even without listening to the song (mainly because they hate everything that Mike Love does; but that's a different story), but I love it. It gives you a great summer feeling.

So now people are trying to take shots at this board on YouTube too? Nothing better to do? Thanks for the name-check though, and if this LoCash video gets more than the 490 views it has as of this morning, maybe more people will say "Hey, what's this infamous board they're going on about?" and check it out. Unless it's just some of the same tired, old, usual suspects and banned/disgruntled former members trying to go around bashing this forum and promoting another. Who knows.

If everyone here hates everything that Mike Love does then this place would be nonexistent - as he was pretty integral to the formation and success of the band. So right off the bat the dude is just spouting nonsense. I think most grounded fans can both appreciate Mike's positive contributions and critique his ongoing poor decisions...I mean it was just two years ago(?) he sparked a boycott of his own music because Mr. Surfrider TM positivity wanted to support the act of firing bullets into beautiful animals throughout the world. I mean, I know some people will bend themselves into pretzels to defend that, but the reality is that it was a rather poor choice for Mike to make.

I don't dislike the LoCash song because Mike had anything to do with it, I dislike it because it's the same bro-country song I've heard in local barbecue joints for the last 15 years. It's unoriginal, autotuned*, the song glorifies getting wasted on booze (about the dumbest thing you could glorify in a song called "Beach Boys" considering the history of booze with this band). It's just not my thing.

*And actually, per Mike's own specifications of what makes a great song, this song isn't great because it has autotune - just going by his own words. So even Mike Love should despise this thing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:29:22 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2022, 10:24:23 AM »

I see autotuned mentioned a lot....It's not though is it? just how the vocals are processed.  Surely a production decision rather than these LoCash guys not being able to sing.

I get the impression Mike doesn't like those guys much from the behind the scenes video...maybe they are living the song with what's in those plastic cups  LOL
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:25:50 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2022, 10:37:37 AM »

I see autotuned mentioned a lot....It's not though is it? just how the vocals are processed.  Surely a production decision rather than these LoCash guys not being able to sing.

I get the impression Mike doesn't like those guys much from the behind the scenes video...maybe they are living the song with what's in those plastic cups  LOL

I'm pretty sure it's there - especially when the background falsetto changes notes - I don't think it is the processing that creates that abrupt change in pitch (or whatever - my music lexicon is rather lacking haha). But if you listen to when the pitch/note shifts in the vocal lines of Mike (and the bg falsetto), I'm pretty sure those aren't natural changes in pitch. And while an overall process of the song kinda "digitizes" the vocals, I think there is more there than just processed vocals - it's correcting pitch of certain lines to my ears. Perhaps that isn't autotune, I'm not sure, but it sure is manipulating the vocals a lot.

I should say that this track is nowhere near the level of pitch correcting/autotune that has been on Mike's recent solo albums, so that is pleasant. But it is still there nonetheless.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »

If everyone here hates everything that Mike Love does then this place would be nonexistent - as he was pretty integral to the formation and success of the band. So right off the bat the dude is just spouting nonsense. I think most grounded fans can both appreciate Mike's positive contributions and critique his ongoing poor decisions...I mean it was just two years ago(?) he sparked a boycott of his own music because Mr. Surfrider TM positivity wanted to support the act of firing bullets into beautiful animals throughout the world. I mean, I know some people will bend themselves into pretzels to defend that, but the reality is that it was a rather poor choice for Mike to make.

I don't dislike the LoCash song because Mike had anything to do with it, I dislike it because it's the same bro-country song I've heard in local barbecue joints for the last 15 years. It's unoriginal, autotuned, the song glorifies getting wasted on booze (about the dumbest thing you could glorify in a song called "Beach Boys" considering the history of booze with this band). It's just not my thing.

You've summed it up very well, the point made by that commenter on YouTube gets contradicted immediately by the most basic fact that people are here because they're fans of the band's music, and it comes off yet again as someone spouting crap or trying to bash this forum and the people here for whatever reasons they may have. It's obvious, it's very transparent, and it's childish, but would we expect anything less than that from those circles who seem to have nothing better to do than find ways to trash this forum?

Like I said, maybe if more than 500 people eventually view that video, some will see the word "infamous" next to the board name and want to see what is so infamous about it, so thanks to that person for the name-check and reference.  LOL

And I really do not hear Mike or Bruce being much of a presence on this recording, so it's just a song that isn't really my style and not what I would listen to regularly.

I do question, however, why LoCash released the song near the end of 2021, had their fans buy that version if they wanted to, then basically rerelease the same song with contributions from Mike and Bruce which aren't even prominent enough in the mix and which do not significantly change the original all that much, and expect fans to buy it again! From a marketing standpoint that doesn't make much sense to release almost the same single about 4-5 months apart after fans already would have bought and heard it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2022, 11:00:27 AM »

Yes, the infamous (love that word...) "Red Solo Cup" is on full display in that video, and for those not familiar with Bro Country or Beer Country or Booze Country or whatever name can be attached to the genre, Red Solo Cup was a massive country hit a decade ago.

And on that point, I have to wonder why Mike Love is attaching himself to songs that glorify drinking a lot of booze and partying with booze (and in the case of Somewhere Near Japan scoring hard drugs) given his decades-long history of discussing his cousins' and bandmates' history of addictions and substance abuse, which included alcohol and alcohol abuse. I can understand Mike's viewpoint 100%, anyone who has seen a friend or family member go through any addiction can relate, but when you're making public comments regularly about how such abuses and addictions ruined your band and your family, I guess I couldn't see how singing and writing songs almost celebrating booze-filled parties and the like would line up with that previous commentary. It just seems like an odd fit to get involved with a song that replaces one of the best hooks  the band had in "round round get around..." with the phrase "drink 'em down down..." considering the history behind it all.

Here's an article from a month ago about it along with a related photo from a concert:

https://musicrow.com/2022/02/locash-collaborates-with-beach-boys-mike-love-bruce-johnston/

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 11:57:31 AM »

Country love bro-country remix? Grin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 11:59:23 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »

Almost 2 hours into the AMA on Reddit and it has 4 upvotes yikes. It's a mediocre AMA - didn't know that about the genesis of 'How She Boogalooed It' which is a cool story. One question made me chuckle: "Bruce how do you sleep at night" LOL. Between 4 guys answering questions in that AMA it's odd they only responded to 9 questions.

I'm hoping they answer ExUpstairsCaptain's question about Brian's involvement with the project. But it looks like they stopped answering questions an hour ago.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »

For those interested, here's the Q&A:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/t6p13d/its_chris_preston_from_the_country_duo_locash/

I think they needed Wink Martindale back again to moderate this...wow. Reddit? No thanks, I'll pass.

Although yes, the info behind "How She Boogalooed It" is pretty interesting, I don't recall hearing that elsewhere unless I missed it.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2022, 11:20:32 AM »

Actually, Mike promising a live 'Big Sur' in the setlists is a super cool little nugget of news. Here's hoping it happens!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2022, 12:47:11 PM »

Just in case those with reading comprehension problems are visiting this thread - I don't think anyone here or elsewhere (from what I can tell) has said this song is, quote, "ruining The Legacy," nor has anyone even alluded to the idea that this song is going to crash and burn the image of the band.

I think they needed Wink Martindale back again to moderate this...wow. Reddit? No thanks, I'll pass.

Oh wow I totally forgot about the Wink Martindale Q&A.

And on that point, I have to wonder why Mike Love is attaching himself to songs that glorify drinking a lot of booze and partying with booze (and in the case of Somewhere Near Japan scoring hard drugs) given his decades-long history of discussing his cousins' and bandmates' history of addictions and substance abuse, which included alcohol and alcohol abuse. I can understand Mike's viewpoint 100%, anyone who has seen a friend or family member go through any addiction can relate, but when you're making public comments regularly about how such abuses and addictions ruined your band and your family, I guess I couldn't see how singing and writing songs almost celebrating booze-filled parties and the like would line up with that previous commentary.

Yeah, I know it's meant to be a fun song for people - so I'm not really going to harp on this point. But it is odd given Mike's very public outbursts not too many years ago about Brian's dependency on substances and how it ruined his life (and supposedly it was the only thing Mike Love ever regretted in his life somehow?). Just in a million years, given what Dennis went through, I can't really see Brian doing a song that tells people to chug beer and take shots. But then again, he supposedly gave this song his blessing? So who the heck knows with this band haha.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2022, 12:55:49 PM »

I am the EH board boogeyman!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2022, 01:07:04 PM »

Hey I have it on good authority that you’re Melinda Wilson! Which is it!?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »

I am Joe Thomas as well.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2022, 10:53:26 PM »

I

Hey I have it on good authority that you’re Melinda Wilson! Which is it!?

LOL

To this day, that’s one of the funniest , most ridiculous things I’d ever heard/read. Old guy probably should’ve switched his cape for a straight jacket

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »

Is Billy C. really Superman? LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2022, 03:38:37 PM »

Nah..I’m Batman

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx