gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:10:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoCash Wrote + Recorded New Song ‘Beach Boys’ With the Actual Beach Boys  (Read 13080 times)
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2022, 07:28:25 AM »

The version with Mike and Bruce doesn't drop until tomorrow, but having heard the original, I think it's fine. It probably would have been stronger had they NOT sampled the "I Get Around" chorus. But, this will be FAR far from the worst thing Mike and Bruce have ever done, especially because I'm assuming they just threw their vocals on top of the first version. I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize the song. It's not worth it. And no, this doesn't diminish the band's legacy. Heck, this song is at least a more sincere venture into Country Music than "Stars and Stripes."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 07:32:57 AM by ExUpstairsCaptain » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2022, 10:10:44 AM »

Everyone get your questions ready…

(Via https://twitter.com/MikeLoveOFCL/status/1499442274207293441)

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2022, 10:18:01 AM »

The version with Mike and Bruce doesn't drop until tomorrow, but having heard the original, I think it's fine. It probably would have been stronger had they NOT sampled the "I Get Around" chorus. But, this will be FAR far from the worst thing Mike and Bruce have ever done, especially because I'm assuming they just threw their vocals on top of the first version. I'm not going to go out of my way to criticize the song. It's not worth it. And no, this doesn't diminish the band's legacy. Heck, this song is at least a more sincere venture into Country Music than "Stars and Stripes."

I have no affinity for country music, but I can't fathom there's anything more "sincere" about this track than the stuff on "Stars and Stripes." This uber-autotuned dude-bro stuff is less sincere than a beer commercial.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2022, 10:24:02 AM »

Everyone get your questions ready…

(Via https://twitter.com/MikeLoveOFCL/status/1499442274207293441)

Join us for a fun-filled, rowdy afternoon chock-full of bros n' brews, hats n' tats, and a good ole time chewin' the fat.

As if the last two weeks couldn't get any more surreal, Mike and Bruce are joining the Bro Country scene. Happy 60th!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:25:14 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »

Heyjude and Rab better get in line and like the song (or else) from the good people at the EH board. Roll Eyes

LOL yeah, I guess me sharing my viewpoints is me “stroking out”? One guy said the “rage” here made him relisten to the song, whereupon he found he likes the tune.

Honestly, if people like this song and get some joy from it, I’m glad! For me, I live in what was previously a confederate state (whose many occupants listen to this music constantly), so I’ve heard this exact song (with slight variation) for the last 15+ years (trucks, rednecks, booze). If this music is new to some people (or the addition of The Beach Boys adds a nice flavor), or they just like the song, that’s great. For me, it has been an unoriginal genre for over a decade (maybe even longer), and it’s odd to see The Beach Boys associated with it…especially as the year of the 60th anniversary gets underway.

I thought I was the one stroking out. I appreciate the namecheck on another board. I'm fine. I just find this particular track to be the aural equivalent of that photo of Mike from 2016 with you-know-who.

But I've never been afraid to admit when a song is catchy even if the people making it are caricatures, or even if the lyrics are bad. There's just none of that here. It's just simply grating across the board, from the synthetic nature of the recording, to the absolute insincere nature of the song and everything of this sub-genre of music (I don't think the vast majority of people who listen to *this* type of music tend to hold the original 1964 "I Get Around" in great reverence), to the lyrics that are so beyond parody, to the lack of originality even *within* this awful sub-genre of music. It's truly Weird Al territory, and even saying that is truly offensive to Weird Al and his fans.

I mean, these elderly "legacy" artists piggybacking on younger artists is usually pretty awful anyway. That McCartney Nirvana track, or that Kanye/Rihanna song, those are pretty awful as well. But I'd listen to those on a loop over this.

I'm not losing sleep over it, or fuming for any length of time, or even thinking about this track other than the couple of times I listened and when I'm writing about it here. But I also have no problem citing it's possible status (I suppose we should give it a little more time to stew) as the worst Beach Boys *related* track ever. It's not uncommon for some cabal of fans to offer their anti-criticism on material like this with some variation of a shoulder shrug and "it's not that bad!", and if that's how they actually feel, awesome.

And, as I've already gone on about, the use of the BB trademark and the BB logo on this release is also something that adds insult to injury *in the context* of the how both Brian and Al have been sued and/or had lawsuits threatened over issues related to use of the BB name/logo/likenesses. I honestly thought, having seen the cover art *prior* to hearing the song, that the icky use of the BB name and logo would be more awful than the song itself, which I assumed would just be hack, bland material. I wasn't fully prepared for the cringe of the actual song/recording.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »

And to the issue raised elsewhere of there being worse actual Beach Boys tracks than this Locash thing, I'm more than happy to have some fun if people want to start spitballing ideas/examples of something they think is worse, whether an actual BB track or a track that involved some BBs. I'm more than happy to amend my rating of this new track if someone can cite some worse track that I just haven't thought of. Truly.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2022, 10:40:57 AM »

While I have to reiterate that I'm not as angry about this track as apparently a few folks think I am, I have also been informed that it has been clinically proven now that if you listen to this song enough times, you may turn into the Joaquin Phoenix Joker. Just saying......

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »

I have no affinity for country music, but I can't fathom there's anything more "sincere" about this track than the stuff on "Stars and Stripes." This uber-autotuned dude-bro stuff is less sincere than a beer commercial.

Yeah I don't see how anyone could think that Willie Nelson's lead vocal on 'Warmth of the Sun' is somehow less sincere than a song that is an unintentional caricature of every mainstream bro-country song that's been recorded for the last 15 years. But that's just my opinion.

As for The Beach Boys image being tarnished by this - I think this is just yet another small blip added to the list of "seriously?" moments that keeps piling up every year. I think I just need to resign myself to the fact that The Beach Boys will forever be associated with Uncle Jessie, Trump, supporting Trophy Hunting, lawsuits, fighting...and however you personally feel about any of these topics - none of these things should have happened (and it's not just Mike's fault, but every band member who did things to mess things up along the way). Just for the sake of defending Mike we don't need to pretend that this band hasn't done anything to alter their image for the worse. Nor do we need to pretend that their image is completely untouchable.

We currently are 3 months into this 60th anniversary year and the most memorable thing to happen is The Beach Boys name being tethered to a song about John Deeres, Rednecks, and Cuervo. I guess for some fans that is something to celebrate, for the rest of us, I think the Boys can do better than this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2022, 10:56:45 AM »

As someone who has only begun to appreciate various types of country music over the last ten years or so, I can appreciate this song for the fun little ditty that it is. And yes, I do find it more sincere than "Stars and Stripes" if only because it's a country act performing a country song as opposed to The Beach Boys pointlessly remaking old material with country artists, thereby producing inferior versions of those songs. To be clear, I understand not liking this type of music. But the song itself is not inherently bad.
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2022, 11:02:53 AM »

Yeah I don't see how anyone could think that Willie Nelson's lead vocal on 'Warmth of the Sun' is somehow less sincere than a song that is an unintentional caricature of every mainstream bro-country song that's been recorded for the last 15 years. But that's just my opinion.

As for The Beach Boys image being tarnished by this - I think this is just yet another small blip added to the list of "seriously?" moments that keeps piling up every year. I think I just need to resign myself to the fact that The Beach Boys will forever be associated with Uncle Jessie, Trump, supporting Trophy Hunting, lawsuits, fighting...and however you personally feel about any of these topics - none of these things should have happened (and it's not just Mike's fault, but every band member who did things to mess things up along the way). Just for the sake of defending Mike we don't need to pretend that this band hasn't done anything to alter their image for the worse. Nor do we need to pretend that their image is completely untouchable.

We currently are 3 months into this 60th anniversary year and the most memorable thing to happen is The Beach Boys name being tethered to a song about John Deeres, Rednecks, and Cuervo. I guess for some fans that is something to celebrate, for the rest of us, I think the Boys can do better than this.

This LOCASH song is a country song by a country band. "Stars and Stripes" was The Beach Boys needlessly remaking their old songs with country singers, thereby producing inferior versions of those songs.

As for The Beach Boys legacy and its true connection (if any) with this song, it does basically nothing one way or another, in the sense that it is not a Beach Boys product/project. I understand that it has arguably been misrepresented as such, but that doesn't change the facts. I don't think it's fair to lump solo projects into any band's legacy. I strongly dislike Paul McCartney's "Driving Rain" album, but the disc does nothing to impact The Beatles' legacy or anything like that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2022, 11:31:04 AM »

I think the "what damages the legacy" debate is a non-starter. I think one either gets or doesn't get it. Nothing much (barring some Billy Cosby/Michael Jackson-level scandal) is going to like literally bring down the BB legacy, and even a scandal of that order probably wouldn't since the BBs are a group and not a single person.

It's simply a question of what adds or subtracts to it. This track can only subtract, but probably not a great deal. This track will surely quickly fall into obscurity. I'd have to look back, but I don't think I even invoked any ideas of the band's "legacy" regarding this Locash track. I think other things (a few Mike gig choices of recent years, the clusterf**k ending of the 50th anniversary, that '88 Rock Hall speech, etc.) are far more damaging to the band's legacy.

My criticism of this track has been entirely in the here and now. It's just awful music on every level. Even viewed simply as *product*, it's bad. This act doesn't even seem to be an A-lister within this country sub-genre.

Did Locash track down Mike Love on Cameo or something? This smells much more like that than some kind of inspired collaboration.

I'm not saying Mike's the only guy in the music industry with a ton of side-hustles and whatnot. But I don't think it's crazy to be a little depressed that he'll sign up for stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrtoQ0e5hoQ

And this Locash track is the musical guest star equivalent of agreeing to do what's in that video.

Like, I'd *love* to see the requests for collaborations and guest spots that are *turned down* by Mike....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:33:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2022, 11:31:25 AM »

This LOCASH song is a country song by a country band. "Stars and Stripes" was The Beach Boys needlessly remaking their old songs with country singers, thereby producing inferior versions of those songs.

As for The Beach Boys legacy and its true connection (if any) with this song, it does basically nothing one way or another, in the sense that it is not a Beach Boys product/project. I understand that it has arguably been misrepresented as such, but that doesn't change the facts. I don't think it's fair to lump solo projects into any band's legacy. I strongly dislike Paul McCartney's "Driving Rain" album, but the disc does nothing to impact The Beatles' legacy or anything like that.

The song is literally called "Beach Boys" and the marketing for it has The Beach Boys logo on it, and two of the original Beach Boys sing on the song, and two of the original Beach Boys are going on the 7th most popular website in America tomorrow to do a Q&A regarding the song called "Beach Boys". Does it have any connection with The Beach Boys legacy? Legacy merely means anything left behind by an entity for certain people...in this case, fans or the general public. So from the Radiant Radish to lawsuits, Good Vibrations to Ten Little Indians, anything this band leaves behind, be they songs or memories, it's all a part of the legacy. So yeah, I'd say this is a very infinitesimal part of Beach Boys history.

As for Stars and Stripes - I guess it's all subjective (like The Beach Boys LoCash song). Remaking classics isn't always a bad thing - there are remakes that I actually prefer over the originals, some that I'm indifferent about (I don't listen to Stars and Stripes but I do listen to Willie's Warmth of the Sun song because I find it beautiful...it's not better than the original, but Willie's performance is something I love about it). In some circumstances, just because something is remade doesn't make it "inferior" - it just makes it different. Kinda like BWPS vs the original recordings. There are some songs on there that are straight up copies of the original material, but in their context of the album they don't need to be considered inferior, they're just different.

Anywho, I'm glad you enjoy the song. Honestly, I'm sure a lot of people will get a lot of enjoyment out of it, and who knows, it may lead some people to become fans of The Beach Boys.

*edit, when I credit Bruce as an original member, I just mean that he has been with them since the 60s - I don't mean that he was a founding member.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:35:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2022, 11:45:03 AM »

And while I can envision that Mike would find these types of dudebro Country lyrics appealing because they are kind of like a Country version of what Mike might write (idealizing the now, idealizing the past via nostalgia, very direct, blunt, inartful lyrics, etc.), I do genuinely feel bad for Mike even if he doesn’t, because he’s also the guy that wrote lyrics to songs like “Only With You”, “The Warmth of the Sun”, "Please Let Me Wonder", "I'm Waiting for the Day", "All I Wanna Do", "Add Some Music to Your Day", and so on. Mike's better than this, even if he doesn't know or doesn't care.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2022, 11:50:56 AM »

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »

Here's a better collab: Al Jardine signing someone's drawing of a can of sardines:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2022, 12:41:08 PM »

For several decades I think this has been the internal response to any of these things, I call it the Alfred E. Newman reply:

Or this from others:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:42:31 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2022, 12:48:37 PM »

"Baywatch" was actually bumped up to HD awhile back, and thanks to a heads up about this from Elora on YouTube, I was able to get this upgraded screengrab:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2022, 01:15:24 PM »

Didn’t somebody make a meme of that with “sometimes I feel very scared” from IJWMFTT?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »

No desire to even listen to this. It could be 1966 Brian on there and I’d still pass. I despise everything about bro country.

That said, nobody cares either way except on bb forums. No issue with affecting the legacy…that’s intact. We as BB fans (not just here) are so focused on we think that somewhere along the way The Beach Boys already got their career reevaluation ; this is lame, but it’s just something to roll our eyes at and move on. If any of you all are worried about his they would be viewed by future generations, don’t. We got copyright extensions out the ass coming. The influx of new fans coming in vs most of their contemporaries is telling. Just use Spotify as an example. The lowest amount of new followers I’ve seen in a single day since UA took over has been a shade over 1000, but usually it is 1500-2000 new followers a *day*. There are indie  rock playlists with them on there (which doesn’t mean anything to most of you all but for the Gen Xers like me that’s a hell of an accomplishment).  The generations after mine missed the whole Full House and Home Improvement fiascos.

So yeah , this is just something to laugh at and move on. Oh, that Mike. Doesn’t change what came before, and never will. 20 years ago would be different

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »

Where is the long tall Texan bro country version? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2022, 04:06:41 PM »

No desire to even listen to this. It could be 1966 Brian on there and I’d still pass. I despise everything about bro country.

That said, nobody cares either way except on bb forums. No issue with affecting the legacy…that’s intact. We as BB fans (not just here) are so focused on we think that somewhere along the way The Beach Boys already got their career reevaluation ; this is lame, but it’s just something to roll our eyes at and move on. If any of you all are worried about his they would be viewed by future generations, don’t. We got copyright extensions out the ass coming. The influx of new fans coming in vs most of their contemporaries is telling. Just use Spotify as an example. The lowest amount of new followers I’ve seen in a single day since UA took over has been a shade over 1000, but usually it is 1500-2000 new followers a *day*. There are indie  rock playlists with them on there (which doesn’t mean anything to most of you all but for the Gen Xers like me that’s a hell of an accomplishment).  The generations after mine missed the whole Full House and Home Improvement fiascos.

So yeah , this is just something to laugh at and move on. Oh, that Mike. Doesn’t change what came before, and never will. 20 years ago would be different

Whatever is churned out, be it Stamos murdering Forever, or Brian talking inappropriately to his young kids, that’s all there for people to see/read about anytime they want thanks to the internet. It’s stuff we remember because it’s either completely amazing or embarrassingly bad. I wasn’t really a fan when Santa’s Goin to Kokomo came out, yet I’ve seen it a decade after the fact and it’s cringy as hell and it does impact how I view the band. It doesn’t ruin their amazing music - but it is something there that we’ve all seen and heard because it’s terrible and its associated with the band (yeah it’s a Mike solo, but it’s still associated with the band and it’s #1 hit Kokomo). Mark McGrath, the Trump connection, the boycotting of The Beach Boys catalogue, the pointless lawsuits do nothing to ruin my love of the band or their music, but yet those things are negatively attached to the band and their music. That’s just the way it is and I don’t get why that is hard for people to grasp.

I agree that this LoCash song is a very minor blip on the radar, but it’s a drop in an ever full bucket of embarrassing crap that this band is associated with.

I can’t imagine the remaining Beatles attaching the Beatles logo to a Luke Bryan song called “Beatles” with the chorus lyrics “I wanna hold your hand in my truck”

Why? Because they have standards when it comes to that legacy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »

We’ll agree to disagree but a sizeable amount of people that let things like this color their views of the band’s legacy quite frankly going to be around in a couple of decades. Obviously it bothers us here because most of us have been fans for decades. The younger fans generally don’t care.  The folks who were hitting college when the SMiLE box came out and then went on to form bands influenced by what they heard( including  the band with the #2 song on the Hot 100 ) don’t care. There is an entire generation of fans who view The Beach Boys as the innovators of indie pop, lo-fi , and shoe gaze.  The stuff that Mike’s doing isn’t hurting that; it’s hurting the touring band *only* after this point. *we*, the long term fans, are the ones with the problem. 70+ years of rock has proven that every artist who continues into advanced age eventually will end up being cringey or embarrassing. It happens. We get older and lamer with age. It happens. We care. Nobody else does.

I stepped out of my little bubble during my sabbatical, (especially when the board went down ( pretty much avoiding The Beach Boys fan community. Besides preparing for the birth of my son, I was concentrating on my own music career and also helping others with their projects. I still ended up talking quite a bit about The Beach Boys with other musicians I was working with… except I wasn’t the one bringing them up. I acted like I wasn’t familiar with them, or that I wasn’t a fan really. Very eye opening.

One list thing…the bitching I’ve seen about the LPR doc’s “talking heads”  said a lot too. We’re not the target audience any more. The copyright extensions are kinda like our reward for loyalty and dedication (if one looks ar it like that) but the focus is on winning new fans. And it’s working, and no lame ass “God n country yee haw” bullshit is going to ruin that

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2022, 06:31:30 PM »

Thanks for writing that up, Billy. I see your point. It’s a shame that some of these fumbles (not including this LoCash song) have done damage in the short term (perhaps reunion chances ruined, etc), but yeah in 100 years a LoCash song isn’t going to matter to fans of the band.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2022, 11:47:54 PM »

Behind the scenes.

https://youtu.be/KxQpuycNeLk
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2022, 01:21:57 AM »

I like when guy number 2 says you wrote California Girls right?  LOL awkward. First time I've ever heard the term bro country.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx