gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Squares #6 (Shut Down Vol. 2) is now up!  (Read 1515 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:18:18 AM »

Sorry for the 3 month wait...had to let the hubbub die down around FEEL FLOWS!

It's the usual thorough and slightly irreverent dissection, this time of SHUT DOWN VOL. 2...treble up, everybody!

https://youtu.be/aVMsqOXuP4U
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »

Thanks, Adam!

I like the Shut Down Vol. 2 album very much, even if there indeed are a lot of weaknesses. What I'll never understand though is the dislike of "Louie, Louie". I think it's a great performance (very close to the original). Especially the blasting surf solo by Carl is a highlight.  I also think that they sound very cool on this track, like a real Rock-band and not like the dorks they where (and I say that with great admiration!).
Not too keen on "Pom pom play girl" and "In the parkin' lot", although the intro and outro of the latter is fantastic and reminds me of some of the vocals on "Mt. Vernon and Fairway".

BTW hearing their playing on "Cassius vs. Sonny", I always hoped that there is a complete run-through of their show in the archives. Would be nice to hear that. But then I'm a fan of the Boys' live qualities of this periode.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 09:47:18 PM »

Thanks, Adam!

I like the Shut Down Vol. 2 album very much, even if there indeed are a lot of weaknesses. What I'll never understand though is the dislike of "Louie, Louie". I think it's a great performance (very close to the original). Especially the blasting surf solo by Carl is a highlight.  I also think that they sound very cool on this track, like a real Rock-band and not like the dorks they where (and I say that with great admiration!).
Not too keen on "Pom pom play girl" and "In the parkin' lot", although the intro and outro of the latter is fantastic and reminds me of some of the vocals on "Mt. Vernon and Fairway".

BTW hearing their playing on "Cassius vs. Sonny", I always hoped that there is a complete run-through of their show in the archives. Would be nice to hear that. But then I'm a fan of the Boys' live qualities of this periode.

Thank you for watching, sir! I always appreciate everyone who tunes in.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »

'Twas worth the wait, Adam! Though I think you set a new record for the most self-corrections in the upper right-hand portion of the screen!!  Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »

Speaking of "Louie, Louie", I just read about the Kingsmen's version. Seems like they were inspired by Rockin' Ron Roberts' version of the song, which also seems to have influenced the Beach Boys if you listen to the guitar solo that was not present on Richard Berry's original. So the Boys probably knew both versions and basically combined them. Still, Carl's guitar performance is outta this world imo.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 02:16:19 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 07:58:19 PM »

'Twas worth the wait, Adam! Though I think you set a new record for the most self-corrections in the upper right-hand portion of the screen!!  Grin

Haha. There's so much inaccurate information on the 'net I don't like adding to it. Episode 5 was basically motivated because I decided I had the musician credits in Ep. 4 mostly wrong. But I think this episodes it wasn't so much corrections as additional information. There's only so much you can cram in there.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 08:39:23 PM »

I'm totally in favor of its use for either purpose--it adds a layer of new info and is often entertaining in its own right...  Smokin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx