gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:50:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys and George Harrison 1971  (Read 1493 times)
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »

I've just come across a cutting from UK magazine Record Mirror 10th July 71, which says in the US George dropped in to see the band recording a Beach Boys TV special, and from that meeting came news that he will be recording with them and possibly tour with them, along with Keith Moon. I presume nothing more came of this?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 02:19:56 PM »

Interesting. I guess this picture may come from that occasion:

Does anyone know who George is talking to?

The Boys played Crystal Palace Bowl in '72 and were joined by Elton John and Keith Moon. So maybe plans were for Harrison to appear as well but for some reason didn't work out

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 06:33:13 AM »

George Harrison is in the audience during the Beach Boys' 1971 Central Park TV broadcast (probably there to see other artists).

Here's a screencap from the same special the BBs were a part of, showing George talking to Garfunkel:

The B&W still photo above shows Mike and George in the same clothes as the TV special, so it's likely from the same day.

I think the rest of the weird details from that vintage article about George playing with the BBs, etc. are all baloney, typical made-up rumor stuff that was in those types of papers back then.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 03:18:13 AM »

Man, how awesome would it have been if Harrison and the band collaborated together?  Harrison's guitar would have sounded great on "Forever" (and quite apropos since the song was the band's equivalent to the Beatles' "Something").  And I can picture the band supplying some lush harmonies on "Here Comes the Moon" among other songs.  Oh well.  At least we got Ringo to play on a track, albeit a forgettable one.   🤷‍♂️

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx