gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:40:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mini interview with Brian in latest Mojo  (Read 3866 times)
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2021, 04:50:37 PM »

December's Mojo (Zep on the cover) features a brief Brian interview as part of the regular feature All back to my place Fave album, first album bought, fave Saturday night record... most interesting, he says he's "currently grooving" to The Rolling Stones, and HE STILL WANTS TO MAKE THAT ROCK AND ROLL ALBUM: "I've been wanting to make a rock'n'roll album for years and years. I have some ideas, so hopefully I'll be able to do that one next."

There's also a gorgeous picture of him, from some years ago I'd guess, I had never seen it before.
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »

I wish that the powers that be would just let him make his "rock and roll" album. It would be one of the great tragedies of the man's life if he never got to do it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:33:54 AM »

I wish that the powers that be would just let him make his "rock and roll" album. It would be one of the great tragedies of the man's life if he never got to do it.

I would imagine that the only entity stopping Brian from doing this is Brian himself. Now, if it is something that he actually really wants to do, I would hope that Melinda and those who are there supporting Brian would encourage him to start hitting the studio to record some covers.

What kills me about this project is that Brian has Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin at his disposal. Al is probably the only person from the 60s heyday that still has the pipes that mostly resemble the sound of his youth. Blondie brings so much power with that guitar - I can see him playing on a track or two of heavier songs on the album. And not to mention that Brian has an assembled group of incredibly talented musicians who all work fluidly together. If this is a project that Brian wants to tackle, there's no time like the present.

If Brian doesn't actually want to record this thing then I wish he'd stop teasing us with it! I recently dug up his "Listen To Me" Buddy Holly cover after forgetting about it for a couple years, and man is it good. No doubt he'd knock this record out of the park!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 12:16:56 PM »

Pretty sure they tried, pre-pandemic. Band was there, everyone was ready.

BW wasn’t up for it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »

Agreed, I don't think there's a "powers that be" that are stopping Brian from doing such an album.

He's got a epic musical support system to do all sorts of projects. He's got his backing band, plus Al and Matt, and Blondie. Granted, Al himself needs a kick to get his own projects going.

These projects do need a Joe Thomas-type to make it happen I think, whether that means the *actual* Joe Thomas or someone like that. They've got to be someone Brian likes, and someone who can both musically and organizationally clap their hands and say "Okay, this is what we're gonna do." If they have some financial backing as Thomas has often brought to the table, even better.

Aside from all of this, I'd wager between what we know about and what we don't know about, he probably has enough tracks in the can recorded during his "solo years" that they could package up such an album with minimal to moderate work to finish it out. If "Some Sweet Day" is the type of thing they're willing to put out, then he's got dozens more of that type of stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »

It's just always seemed like a project he's actually been bursting with excitement about every time he's mentioned it over the years and years (and years). But I understand that he may really want to but just doesn't feel it in the moment every time the band is ready to go.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »

I’ve always thought it’s his stock answer in interviews to move them along or end them.

What’s your next project?
I want to do a R&R album....Next!

It’s been the same for what, 15 years? In that time, with many albums and projects and a band at his disposal it’s never happened. Don’t think it has ever been tbh.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 02:07:43 AM »

We want Pleasure Island!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 10:34:23 PM »

I’ve always thought it’s his stock answer in interviews to move them along or end them.

It’s been the same for what, 15 years? In that time, with many albums and projects and a band at his disposal it’s never happened. Don’t think it has ever been tbh.
The real rockers in the band were Carl and Dennis.
I can't imagine Brian, especially nearing 80, suddenly coming out with an album of uptempo rock and roll songs.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 01:54:06 AM »

Brian's on record stating that he's always abhorred the question of what his next project will be.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 05:46:07 AM »

I can't imagine Brian, especially nearing 80, suddenly coming out with an album of uptempo rock and roll songs.

One of Brian's most recent original releases was 'Run James Run', which I would absolutely consider an uptempo rock-n'-roll song (especially that jangly Byrds-esque intro). My memory is kinda hazy on this project - but isn't his rock-n'-roll album supposed to be a slew of covers from the late 50s and early 60s? I don't see this as unrealistic considering his recent Buddy Holly cover, and many of his covers for the Disney album had quite a good rock-n'-roll feel to them.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 06:07:54 AM »

One of Brian's most recent original releases was 'Run James Run', which I would absolutely consider an uptempo rock-n'-roll song (especially that jangly Byrds-esque intro). My memory is kinda hazy on this project - but isn't his rock-n'-roll album supposed to be a slew of covers from the late 50s and early 60s? I don't see this as unrealistic considering his recent Buddy Holly cover, and many of his covers for the Disney album had quite a good rock-n'-roll feel to them.

I thought the plan was half covers, half originals.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »

That definitely sounds right. Yeah, I don't have much hope for the album anymore, but at least it keeps our imaginations going about what could be Smiley

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

I thought the plan was half covers, half originals.

No, all covers. That's what Brian said as recently as in "Long promised Road".
I tried to come up with some reasonable songs he probably would record in this thread. As others have pointed out, there's also "Honeycomb" that Brian even performed on stage and would fit the idea.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 10:37:50 AM »

Thanks, Rocker! Man, 2015 Huh Coming up on seven years ago - and Brian's been talking about this album for way, way longer than that.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »

Yep yep. Here are live versions of Honeycomb and I'm Broke from a 2015 rehearsal. Both are rough/under-rehearsed, but definitely fun in that late 50s-early 60s vein and utilize Blondie and Al nicely. You can imagine what songs like these might sound like with some more polish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQWi6jzK220

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 09:45:35 PM »

He probably should've made this album in the late 90s/early 2000s. I think Brian made two records with the band that may come close, each in its own way, to what he might have in mind when he mentions the rock & roll album: Wild Honey and 15 Big Ones. He also said many times that "Marcella" is one of his favorite songs.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 03:24:02 AM »

He probably should've made this album in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Agreed.  And even then I would have been skeptical of such a release.  Now that he's less than a year shy of turning 80 and doesn't seem to be in particular good shape, I'm even more skeptical he'll ever record this type of album.  If anything maybe this is just his "go-to" response he uses in interviews when he doesn't have anything suitable to talk about. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx