gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:12:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JEM Records Celebrates Brian Wilson - New Tribute Album due July 16th  (Read 3616 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:46:56 AM »

A new tribute album from the artists on New Jersey-based label JEM Records:

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/jem-records-will-release-multi-artist-tribute-to-brian-wilson-july-16/

http://www.jemrecordings.com/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »

I remember JEM as the leading album importer back in the 70s. Some of the coolest records were import only. I haven't heard that name in a long time.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »

I remember JEM as the leading album importer back in the 70s. Some of the coolest records were import only. I haven't heard that name in a long time.

IIRC the name JEM is somehow linked to my copy of Black Vinyl Shoes by the Shoes.

Is that right?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 12:50:35 PM »

Another BW tribute album by a bunch of artists I've never heard of.  🤷‍♂️

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »

I’d like to welcome you to the Old Farts Club. I’ve had the same indifference for about 20 years now and it worries me not one dot. 👍
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 10:47:35 AM »

I’d like to welcome you to the Old Farts Club. I’ve had the same indifference for about 20 years now and it worries me not one dot. 👍

Think I've already been there for quite some time now.  🤣  There's been enough BW/BB tribute albums by no-name indie artists to make an endless supply of drink coasters for everyone to go around.  Aren't there any relevant artists that would like to participate in one of these things...?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »

IIRC the name JEM is somehow linked to my copy of Black Vinyl Shoes by the Shoes.

Is that right?

Same label from the 70's and 80's that did all the imports. They restarted it around 2012 with reissues and comps and an added focus on signing bands and artists to release original material, more like an actual label than a distributor or importer. Here's more info: https://theseconddisc.com/2013/07/31/interview-excavating-jem-with-marty-scott/

So yes, it's the same label who did all those imports 35-45 years ago.

And as far as "unknown" bands doing tributes like this, it's one way for them to become known and let new ears hear what they do. Had it not been for Smile bootlegs and the like, I doubt anyone would randomly find "The Ant Bee" and start seeking out more of that music (for me it wasn't the Smile cover that won me over as a fan but rather a cover of The Monkees' 'Love Is Only Sleeping' which I found solely through further digging from that Smile related track) , and perhaps same with Olivia Tremor Control apart from the Elephant 6 cult following of fans. And I'm sure the unknown artists who were on various BW comps from 20 years ago or more gained new fans after people heard them on those comps. It's kind of cool how all that plays out, especially if a musician gets new listeners to hear what they do through a tribute album.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocknsoulman69
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 01:27:51 PM »

Jem Records Celebrates Brian Wilson out this Friday! It is killer! See interview here: https://youtu.be/2zTDN3IszO4
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »

Welcome to the board! I had this release covered here a few weeks ago, http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27810.0.html

If you don't mind, I can merge the two threads together to keep the discussions centered on the release. I'm looking forward to hearing the full album!

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »

I really liked The Grip Weeds' version of You're So Good To Me - video it's at the end of the first link. Never heard of them, but sounds like a solid power pop band. Gonna check them out. Interesting how they took what originally was kind of Brian doing his very own idea of a Rolling Stones track, and put the Ticket to Ride drumbeat over it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 09:37:07 AM »

Another BW tribute album by a bunch of artists I've never heard of.  ‍♂️

I’d like to welcome you to the Old Farts Club. I’ve had the same indifference for about 20 years now and it worries me not one dot.

Think I've already been there for quite some time now.    There's been enough BW/BB tribute albums by no-name indie artists to make an endless supply of drink coasters for everyone to go around.  Aren't there any relevant artists that would like to participate in one of these things...?

The one artist on this I've heard of is Lisa Mychols. She's worked with Darian Sahanaja in the past, her first band made several appearances on a local Los Angeles TV show that was created by Domenic Priore, and once played in a band with the guy who played Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch. https://www.allmusic.com/artist/lisa-mychols-mn0000246734/biography
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:39:44 AM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »

and once played in a band with the guy who played Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch.

It's kinda funny how Robbie Rist, who's a quite talented musician, is forever defined by a 6-episode sitcom gig in 1974.  A jinx or a blessing, I don't know how he sees it these days.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx