gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:41:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Video: Brian creates at the piano  (Read 2297 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »

Hey everyone.  I'm not able to work on my orchestration videos right now, so I put together an alternative video about ways that Brian created unique songs by recycling basic harmonic ideas.  Hope you enjoy and learn something!  Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oFOC0VPN7w
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »

This was good; thanks.

I'm not musically educated, but it seems like what you're illustrating here is the basic Brian Wilson trademark sound? I've read various materials about Brian's music, and writers have referred to it as basically a straight quarter-note downbeat thing, or a "rhythmic monad," and that if another songwriter wants to consciously evoke a Brian Wilson feel, they'll do this - like just downbeats and then the bass line and/or drums and other instruments move around it.  Van Dyke Parks makes some comments about Brian's style in the Priore/Smile book, and he characterizes the approach to a "smart-dumb" thing, or a "minimalist" thing.  Anyway, the basic pattern is noticeable in seemingly countless BW songs, even to somebody (like me) who doesn't really know music. 

Your video has right hand doing straight chords and left moving around - what somebody might think of as the "interesting" parts. To me - and again I don't play music - the standard approach to keyboard is left hand with steady bass or rhythm, and more ornate stuff with the right hand... if that's true, then is Brian's compositional thing notable for reversing that?

And, a question that is maybe related: I have noticed that if I get a Brian Wilson song stuck in my head, it is often not the melody of the song, as is most often the case with other pop music.  It's something else; the catchiness is somethig else that I can't put my finger on, necessarily. It might have something to with overall orchestration, and/or the bass line that pulls you in.  Thoughts?

If anyone else who knows music wants to jump in, I would appreciate it, since I'd like to get some sort of cogent, musically-informed description of what the Brian Wilson sound is.

Thanks for the video
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »

Great to see another video from you, Joshilyn! Fascinating insight.

Something that came to mind while watching was Anna Lee the Healer; whether that's accurate or not I'll let you figure out!

Watch out for snakes!
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:22 AM »

Wow! Very interesting, thank you
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »

Your video has right hand doing straight chords and left moving around - what somebody might think of as the "interesting" parts. To me - and again I don't play music - the standard approach to keyboard is left hand with steady bass or rhythm, and more ornate stuff with the right hand... if that's true, then is Brian's compositional thing notable for reversing that?

Not really, that style of piano (RH chords, LH moving bass) was popularised in the 50's with doo-wop and dancehall type music as far as I can tell. E.g. Fats Domino. It went on to be the prevailing style for most popular/rock music in the 60's and 70's.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 06:31:04 AM »

That was brilliant!  I loved it.  I'd love to see more like this.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 05:02:38 PM »

Sorry for the bump, but I was watching this recently, and I thought I might have another example of Brian reusing that chord progression with a different bass line (I didn't check with my guitar, though, so I'm probably wrong).  Would Stevie be an example of this?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx