gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:44:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Managing the Beach Boys and ... - Fred Vail  (Read 1442 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2021, 02:14:30 AM »

Managing the Beach Boys and 65 years of having "Fun, Fun, Fun" with music legend, Fred Vail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoBIewSGgA

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 02:03:28 PM »

Finally got around to listening to the BB content of the interview. They were all just as naive and inexperienced as each other weren’t they? Great recommendation. Thanks. 👍
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »

Fred was such an advocate and champion of the group during a difficult period. His interview in BRIAN WILSON:SONGWRITER gets me every time when he's telling the story of the program director saying that "The Beach Boys aren't hip anymore"  and that he won't play "Add Some Music To Your Day" on the station, and the emotion wells up in Fred's eyes.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »

Fred was super generous with me and allowed me a number of interviews. He had a good memory. The only issue was that he’s told the story of how he met them for every BBs author ever so I kept trying to find stuff that hadn’t already been covered by Gaines and Badman, or seen in Endless Harmony.  Therefore I focused more on the 1969-70 period when he was part of their management/promotion. He added a lot of great detail about that time! Nice guy!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx