gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Fun (book)  (Read 1842 times)
jeannethornton
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2021, 10:53:42 AM »

Hi, per mod advice, I am posting about this here. So my name is Jeanne Thornton, and I published a book this year through Soho Press called Summer Fun. It's about a trans woman named Gala who lives in the desert in New Mexico, and who's writing very long and intense fan letters to a musician named B--. B-- is the musical impresario of a band called The Get Happies, who vanished from the public eye after failing to release an album called "Summer Fun" in the mid-1960s. The book is told entirely in fan letters, some of which tell the story of Gala's life in the present tense, the rest of which tell the story of B--'s life and musical career in a suspicious amount of detail.

Here's the Goodreads page, with a pic of the cover: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52034695-summer-fun

I know it's a little self-promoy to post about a book I wrote here. But I think it's likely that the book has some relevance to this group, in the same way Paul Quarrington's Whale Music does, and that folks here may be interested? I will lay my cards on the table as a huge fan of the Beach Boys, and though the story goes off in a very distinct direction from the actual band's, I tried to weave in as much deep Beach Boys ephemera as I could fit for anyone who wants to look for it. (I also did thank the forum in the acknowledgements just for being a place to go to steep in the deeper mysteries of this band and its world, even well before I was writing the book.)

Would be interested to know any thoughts folks have, especially if you've somehow read it already! And thank you to everyone here now and over the years for creating this space--I have loved it. <3
jeannethornton
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 10:57:08 AM »

...and I managed to post this to the wrong "General Discussion" board...my apologies!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 01:35:32 AM »

Looks fascinating, on many counts. I'm not much of a book person but I might just get this one -- one of my best friends is a trans woman and one-time SMiLE scholar (see lower link in my signature).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jeannethornton
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:48:21 AM »

Oh wow, this SMiLE essay your friend wrote looks AMAZING and relevant--am really looking forward to diving in; thank you for directing my attention to it!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:31:46 AM »

You're welcome! She's moved on since then but it's an awesome achievement and doesn't deserve to slip from view.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:50 AM »

Thank you for posting, Jeanne! This looks like a book I'd really enjoy, especially the references and tie-ins to the music of that era, and I will be getting a copy to read for sure.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »

Ordered! I'll be collecting it from a local shop sometime in the last week of October.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 02:42:39 PM »

Well, Jeanne, I've possessed a copy of your book for three months now. If I turn my head 100 degrees to the left, I can see it on the shelf. Wink

But, I shall wait until the summer before I dive in. It will make a wonderful holiday read. Roll Eyes   

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx