gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:29:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love just announced a "Good Vibrations" Cruise  (Read 9538 times)
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »

So Mike just announced a "Good Vibrations" cruise with what's left of the Monkees. Yahoo News does a great job of asking some questions - (i.e. 60 anniversary tour and so on). I am not a Mike hater but man he makes it hard to like him.... see below....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/questions-beach-boys-monkees-good-190830868.html
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »

Originally a Rolling Stone article:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/monkees-beach-boys-cruise-mark-mcgrath-1238631/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/10/07/beach-boys-plan-bahamas-fan-cruise-with-the-monkees-temptations/

The cruise has its own website now with more details:

https://www.thebeachboyscruise.com/

Not Mike's only cruise planned for 2022, he's also back on the high seas again with the "Malt Shop Memories":

https://maltshopcruise.com/lineup/the-beach-boys/

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 01:43:42 PM »

Ringin' in the 60th with Mark McGrath. Sweeeeet!  LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »

Ringin' in the 60th with Mark McGrath. Sweeeeet!  LOL

And Joe Piscopo.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:05:56 PM »

I would be very surprised if Mike Nesmith is doing this, so I imagine it will just be Monkee, singular.
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »

Mike Love Sells Out! (Again)
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »

The promovideo on the website, oh my... Robo Vibrations and musical legacy assassinations, way to go!

But anyway, if someone goes and enjoys, good for them.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 03:29:03 PM »

Gofundme for oldsurferdude to go? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 04:01:22 PM »

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 05:00:02 PM »

The website promo writeup on the Beach Boys is full of gems... you really have to read the whole thing to appreciate it, but:

"Had this remarkable band been less committed to its art and its fans, it could have retired from the field with honor at dozens of points along the way, confident that it had made a lasting contribution to world culture.  It could have rested on the success of the epoch-shifting Pet Sounds masterpiece in 1966… or after Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world… or after recording Love’s co-written Golden Globe nominated “Kokomo” in 1988 and seeing it become its best selling single ever… or after being inducted that same year into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame… or after watching its worldwide album sales blow past l00 million… or after winning the NARAS Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001 [along with The Who, Bob Marley, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr. and Les Paul].  And still, The Beach Boys continue to have fun, fun, fun, with no end in sight."

https://www.thebeachboyscruise.com/artist/the-beach-boys/

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 07:21:07 PM »

Gofundme for oldsurferdude to go? Evil
CLOWN OVERBOARD!!!!!  Evil Evil Evil
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:23:03 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 07:34:55 PM »

Is the endangered animal safari package included?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:02 PM »

I thought The Monkees were done after their current tour dates but I guess money talks. From what I’ve seen though, Nesmith doesn’t look too well these days. He can’t play guitar anymore and walks with a cane. I figured they were wrapping up so that he could retire.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 08:57:53 PM »

I would be very surprised if Mike Nesmith is doing this, so I imagine it will just be Monkee, singular.
I think that's a very good guess.
It's strange, Micky was a guy who insisted back in 1993 that he did not seek the glare of the spotlight, didn't need the applause, was happier working as a director; yet he seems to be on the road as much as Mike Love is these days.
Also seems to have been inspired by Mike for his choice of headwear in recent years.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 09:59:12 PM »

Well, it's a spring cruise...so there's still plenty of time in 2022 for a 60th tour. Strikes me that this is just Mike being Mike, continuing to demonstrate his unquenchable neediness to see his name in the media somewhere.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »

FWIW. Being on a cruise is hardly part of a tour. Being on the road for Mike Nesmith is one thing. Making your way from a nice suite to the stage on a ship is pretty easy….especially if the pay check is good.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 11:43:41 PM »

It's interesting.  Some number of months ago, when it was announced that a controlling interest in BRI had been sold to one of Irving Azoff's companies, we saw a fair number of remarks along the lines of, "Thank God that the Beach Boys' brand finally has adult supervision.  This is the end of the line for the overall cheesiness.  Finally, we can expect these guys to be managed in a way worthy of their legacy and historical significance."

As some folksy tv personalities (Dr Phil?) like to say, "How's that workin' out for y'all?"   LOL
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 01:15:45 AM »

Bruce might get cabin fever being on there for 3 days...McGrath better watch his back  LOL

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 02:33:41 AM »

Mike Love Sells Out! (Again)

https://twitter.com/brianwilsonlive/status/1226587030974541830
Blind Class Aristocracy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 05:36:41 AM »

"Had this remarkable band been less committed to its art and its fans, it could have retired from the field with honor at dozens of points along the way, confident that it had made a lasting contribution to world culture.  It could have rested on the success of the epoch-shifting Pet Sounds masterpiece in 1966… or after Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world… or after recording Love’s co-written Golden Globe nominated “Kokomo” in 1988 and seeing it become its best selling single ever… or after being inducted that same year into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame… or after watching its worldwide album sales blow past l00 million… or after winning the NARAS Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001 [along with The Who, Bob Marley, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr. and Les Paul].  And still, The Beach Boys continue to have fun, fun, fun, with no end in sight."

I read this in Mike's voice from the R&R Hall of Fame speech.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 06:29:10 AM »

Honestly a bit surprised that Mike’s group has top billing, considered Nesmith and Dolenz are performing together. I’d think that pairing has more cachet than Love and Johnston. Guess not. Of course if it was the reunited Beach Boys that’s a different story. But as the photo shows, it’s Mike and his gang of dudes.

Also count me as surprised Nesmith is doing this. I’m also surprised he’s been doing this Monkees thing at all recently.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 06:30:54 AM by Jim V. » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 07:41:22 AM »

“The beach boys do about 180 cruise ship performances every year…I’d like to see the Mop Tops match that!”

But for real, what a great observation - this thing reads just like Mike’s speech. Also, wasn’t the Endless Summer album Dennis’ idea?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »

“The beach boys do about 180 cruise ship performances every year…I’d like to see the Mop Tops match that!”

But for real, what a great observation - this thing reads just like Mike’s speech. Also, wasn’t the Endless Summer album Dennis’ idea?

IIRC Capitol planned a best of album and Mike suggested the title "Endless Summer". Never heard that Dennis had anything to do with it, but that doesn't mean he didn't

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »

There's a lot to unpack here. I'm somewhat surprised that Mike and Irving believe enough folks would be attracted to an entire cruise centered around the touring band. Kiss has been pulling this sort of thing off for years now, but many of their fans are fanatical and, to be fair, they tend to put together solid supporting lineups on their Krusies. Def Leppard tried this a few years ago, and not nearly enough people bought tickets. Time will tell. This seems like a pretty lackluster way to celebrate the 60th, all things considered, so I would hope there really is something else in the pipeline. I don't see this as, "super cheesy," or necessarily, "damaging the band's legacy." I just don't understand the appeal of what is essentially a, "Mike Love Cruise."

On the one hand, I would hope McGrath would be allowed to play a set of his own rather than just singing a few numbers with Mike. After all, unlike Stamos, he's an accomplished musician in his own right. On the other hand, I don't see many of this cruise's likely customers being Sugar Ray fans.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2021, 08:26:42 AM »

It's interesting.  Some number of months ago, when it was announced that a controlling interest in BRI had been sold to one of Irving Azoff's companies, we saw a fair number of remarks along the lines of, "Thank God that the Beach Boys' brand finally has adult supervision.  This is the end of the line for the overall cheesiness.  Finally, we can expect these guys to be managed in a way worthy of their legacy and historical significance."

As some folksy tv personalities (Dr Phil?) like to say, "How's that workin' out for y'all?"   LOL

Iconic nor Azoff (nor BRI's President Jerry Schilling) run Mike's tour. It's a completely autonomous entity, which licenses the name from what is now Iconic/BRI.

I don't recall anybody thinking or saying that, upon Iconic's purchase, anything would change in any significant way as far as Mike's touring. Indeed, I think a pretty fair assumption/guess would be that, considering touring is essentially clearly Mike's main deal in life at this point, both personally and professionally, Mike would likely never sign off on such a sale if it meant any significant change to the status quo as far as his touring.

The one area where I'd put a small asterisk is concerning Mike's political gigs (and gigs that are easily politicized). I do believe Iconic will ensure that there will be no more s**t-shows like Mike's trophy hunting gig or the Trump fundraiser gigs, etc. Indeed, after the most recent PR biff with "The Beach Boys" doing a Trump gig, it's not a coincidence that the next Trump-related gig Mike did was under *his own name*.

But outside of extreme situations like that, I think Mike's tour was always going to largely continue as it has. And this cruise gig isn't really insanely more heinous or tacky than what Mike normally does. It's the same deal as usual, just on a boat. He's been doing multi-band bills with c-lister bands for ages, and he's been playing small and sometimes tacky venues for ages.

Make no mistake, I'd love for Iconic or anybody to convince these guys to do something more unified and classy. But I never thought or assumed, especially on the *touring* front, Iconic's purchase would change things. Again, I don't think Mike would sign off on any deal that significantly altered how he tours.

The area where Iconic can and already has helped is with the archives and other projects that largely don't require active and/or reunited participation of the band members.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:27:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx