gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:46:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 60th Anniversary Tour  (Read 17105 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »

Hi everyone, I somewhat want to clarify my comments: I didn’t expect a big 60th tour for all the reasons we’ve gone over here countless times, but hoped (like Al did or does) that there would be a handful of shows or so. I’m a younger fan who wasn’t as into the band when C50 happened, so I’ve been hoping for my last chance to see at least four or five Beach Boys together on stage again. I’ve seen Brian and Al once (and I will again for a second time this year) and Mike and Bruce twice and enjoyed both shows but have constantly hoped for that chance to see them all together. Maybe it was a hopeless dream from the start, but it was my dream.

With my comment on Azoff’s money magic, I also meant that I thought we’d have a really great documentary no later than December, especially with the archives that BRI has (and that users like HeyJude, Howie Edelson, Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, and others have continuously informed us about).
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2022, 11:37:18 AM »

It’s only July!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2022, 11:39:55 AM »

I didn’t expect a big 60th tour for all the reasons we’ve gone over here countless times, but hoped (like Al did or does) that there would be a handful of shows or so. I’m a younger fan who wasn’t as into the band when C50 happened, so I’ve been hoping for my last chance to see at least four or five Beach Boys together on stage again. I’ve seen Brian and Al once (and I will again for a second time this year) and Mike and Bruce twice and enjoyed both shows but have constantly hoped for that chance to see them all together. Maybe it was a hopeless dream from the start, but it was my dream.

These are my exact sentiments as well. I knew another 50th would never happen (it was a miracle it happened the first time). But I was expecting something for the 60th. And while I know the Iconic acquisition was more about the catalog, I too was hoping it would spark some reconciliation between all parties.

It's just sad that a band that created the most wonderful music about love, warmth, and comfort, seems to embody polar opposite traits of that. And I'm not saying that every remaining member has solely negative traits. But it just seems that the band itself, the modern name of The Beach Boys is a brittle plastic shell of what it could be.

It's the 60th anniversary of America's Band and what is going on during July 4th weekend? Mike is duetting the "Drink em down down drink em down" song with LoCash in Nashville. The blame is probably scattered, but it is sad a hell nonetheless.

I don't even want to say that the fans deserve better - because this is the most childish music fandom I've ever come across (and I contribute my fair share of the petulance, but the infantile whining/fighting/finger-pointing is scattered all over the forums and social media). But at least for the sake of the future fans, for the sake of the music itself, hell for the country itself, these guys need to come together and do something special. This is a huge milestone, and it seems to just be going to waste - as every good opportunity does with this band.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2022, 12:33:08 PM »

A documentary is being worked on. There are already some copyright filings for an "Untitled Beach Boys Documentary" jointly from Iconic and Disney.

I think Al mentioned an interview the team doing it. I think we're getting something closer to "Endless Harmony" than "The Beatles Anthology", but we'll have to wait and see.

As far as a reunion for the 60th, the problem with a one-off show, or a short series, is that the greatness of the C50 tour in 2012 was that it wasn't just chance to have the novelty of seeing them all on stage together. A full tour (albeit one that should have lasted longer) allowed them to refine and evolve the show. It was truly not just a novelty with a boring hits setlist. It was the best live Beach Boys since arguably about 1975.

I don't believe that could be pulled off in 2022, and certainly not in the form of one or a few shows. If it's integrated into some sort of "Tribute" show, then that could end up even worse.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2022, 12:39:57 PM »

Brian is on tour with Chicago (why?) And The Beach Boys are still playing County fairs.

The touring situation is a mess

No messier than it’s been for 23 of the last 24 years.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2022, 02:41:48 PM »

Brian is on tour with Chicago (why?) And The Beach Boys are still playing County fairs.

That is true
No messier than it’s been for 23 of the last 24 years.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2022, 02:46:15 PM »

A documentary is being worked on. There are already some copyright filings for an "Untitled Beach Boys Documentary" jointly from Iconic and Disney.

That's pretty big news. I had idea Disney we're involved

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2022, 07:35:32 PM »

Nothing wrong with playing county and state fairs. Mike's Beach Boys are always part of the state fair out here, where most acts are charging $80 and above these days. Mike comes through once a year, $30 show, which makes a nice day out for families. By the time you've paid for parking, corn dogs, curly fries and the show, that can easily be over $200.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »

Nothing wrong with playing county and state fairs. Mike's Beach Boys are always part of the state fair out here, where most acts are charging $80 and above these days. Mike comes through once a year, $30 show, which makes a nice day out for families. By the time you've paid for parking, corn dogs, curly fries and the show, that can easily be over $200.

...a few chilli dogs and man I'm goin' broke!  Wink
maskedwindsurfer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »

Not only Al sounds good, but Mike too.
The French show i attended on 06/24 was great
The Royal Albert show was even better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLrIROeffvQ
So i could see Al and Matt joining Mike's band in the fall of 2022
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:59:25 PM by maskedwindsurfer » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2022, 05:40:41 AM »

The Beach Boys as a touring band seem to be charging along on the 60th anniversary tour, sounding just as great as ever. In my opinion, Mike surprisingly sounds the best he has since C50 or '17 as of late. 2020 and 21 were kinda shaky with Mike's vocals, but this year he once again sounds very strong and on pitch again. Ike is the best 'BW part' singer the band has ever had since BW himself--- with Cowsill and Totten being the best guitarist and drummer since Carl and Dennis left us. Totten and Cowsill both recreate Carl and Dennis' signature parts perfectly, but also have their spirit and energy that was severely lacking with other instrumentalists in the past. In my humble opinion, Christian sounds so much like Carl at some moments it's freaky. He has his own tone, and for most of the show he just sounds like Christian, but there are always moments, whether they be whole songs, or simply syllables, where he channels Carl so well, I'd swear Carl is singing through him. It's kinda a crazy spiritual type of thing to me it's wild. Timmy B is so rock solid on those keys, I don't think I've ever heard him screw up, and while I do miss Meros, he fills his spot as well as anyone could. Randy's playing adds so much--- the sax, harmonica, flute, percussion etc he adds are all elements that were crucial on those respective songs, and his sax solos are outta sight!!!! Keith's bass playing is really solid and you can see he's having a blast onstage, his enthusiasm is contagious.

Love seeing America's Band, The Beach Boys, celebrating 60 years on a great tour, spanning multiple countries, being led by Mike&Bruce in such great form, with such an excellent group of musicians- honestly, one of the best lineups of the band EVER in my opinion. My favorite lineup since the last time the core 6 were together (Knebworth era) and then 5 surviving members w C50.

All things considered, at the end of the day, this is the perfect way to celebrate the 60th to me. The band still gets to travel the world, playing the best music ever made, with the guy who sang & co-wrote the majority of the material, and the 'new guy' who's been around since 65.  It allows Brian to do his own thing, and as we learn now, cancel all future shows, but still receive income from the BBs' shows. The production is now more elaborate and worthy of the legendary band  w/ the video screens, lighting effects, and Totten's precise MusicalDirecting. As far as the world of TheBeachBoys on tour, they're 'still crusin' alright, and sounding just as great as ever.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2022, 06:48:10 AM »

The Beach Boys as a touring band seem to be charging along on the 60th anniversary tour, sounding just as great as ever. In my opinion, Mike surprisingly sounds the best he has since C50 or '17 as of late. 2020 and 21 were kinda shaky with Mike's vocals, but this year he once again sounds very strong and on pitch again. Ike is the best 'BW part' singer the band has ever had since BW himself--- with Cowsill and Totten being the best guitarist and drummer since Carl and Dennis left us. Totten and Cowsill both recreate Carl and Dennis' signature parts perfectly, but also have their spirit and energy that was severely lacking with other instrumentalists in the past. In my humble opinion, Christian sounds so much like Carl at some moments it's freaky. He has his own tone, and for most of the show he just sounds like Christian, but there are always moments, whether they be whole songs, or simply syllables, where he channels Carl so well, I'd swear Carl is singing through him. It's kinda a crazy spiritual type of thing to me it's wild. Timmy B is so rock solid on those keys, I don't think I've ever heard him screw up, and while I do miss Meros, he fills his spot as well as anyone could. Randy's playing adds so much--- the sax, harmonica, flute, percussion etc he adds are all elements that were crucial on those respective songs, and his sax solos are outta sight!!!! Keith's bass playing is really solid and you can see he's having a blast onstage, his enthusiasm is contagious.

Love seeing America's Band, The Beach Boys, celebrating 60 years on a great tour, spanning multiple countries, being led by Mike&Bruce in such great form, with such an excellent group of musicians- honestly, one of the best lineups of the band EVER in my opinion. My favorite lineup since the last time the core 6 were together (Knebworth era) and then 5 surviving members w C50.

All things considered, at the end of the day, this is the perfect way to celebrate the 60th to me. The band still gets to travel the world, playing the best music ever made, with the guy who sang & co-wrote the majority of the material, and the 'new guy' who's been around since 65.  It allows Brian to do his own thing, and as we learn now, cancel all future shows, but still receive income from the BBs' shows. The production is now more elaborate and worthy of the legendary band  w/ the video screens, lighting effects, and Totten's precise MusicalDirecting. As far as the world of TheBeachBoys on tour, they're 'still crusin' alright, and sounding just as great as ever.

I don't doubt the authenticity and sincerity of people who enjoy Mike's tour, but this does read like when a company asks employees to write a positive review on GlassDoor, or a business asks customers to write reviews on Yelp. 

Honestly, where all the members are at right now is kind of just the default. Some people dig it, some don't. I don't view it as a triumphant 60th anniversary situation. But I also recognize there's not much else anybody could be doing. Brian's struggling. About the only room to maneuver is to just have Al join Mike's band (or I guess Mike and Bruce join Al and Brian's guys, minus Brian?). And that would honestly kind of feel sort of flaccid compared to a legit reunion. So I dunno.

I think Totten continues to run a tight, oiled machine.

I think all of the guys are having a more challenged time on stage than they did ten years ago.

The ideal situation given the high quality of the 50th in 2012 would have been for *that* lineup to do a few more years of touring, and then for everybody to call it a day in like 2015 or so, and then they could all go back to doing solo gigs and private/corporate gigs if they wanted to stay active. But that obviously didn't and can't happen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

You won't get any disagreement from me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2022, 06:26:07 PM »

I personally can’t comment as the only performance I saw recently was the 4th of July show , and…yeah. That said I will check out some of the recent shows online based on the reviews!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2022, 07:42:29 AM »

I watched the 25th television show recently and really like that format for a band that could do well to have other artists involved ( hopefully above the Stamos, McGrath food chain) a little editing, a high energy crowd, a nice backdrop like Hawaii...December slot...why not?
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »

Beg to differ, but I thought the 25th anniverrssary show was a bit of a sham. Other than when the Boys sang their own songs. But when they supported the other artists you couldn't even tell it was them on BVs. There was a ton of editing done too after the show. Just not my cup of tea.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2022, 11:07:19 AM »

The McParland/Gary Usher book has a good break down of the 25th Anniversary TV special. That was what Variety/TV Specials were like back then. It’s got some (unintentionally) funny bits. Some of the music bits are okay. It was probably a little less cringy back in 1987 when it aired as compared to now. But I watched it when it aired. It was cheesy back then too. It wasn’t even like A-list status for many of the guests back then. 

It’s been sounding like some sort of tribute show may be in the offing for the 60th. I think as usual the hardcore fans would rather just see the *actual* band perform. How good or awful tribute shows are comes down to who they book. It can go wrong on many fronts.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2022, 11:02:06 PM »

Dear friends -

I have it on good authority that there will be an expanded and newly remastered edition of Made In Calfornia, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of our band. It's going to be a gorgeous novelty, as exclusive as it gets.

Playing time will be that of 8 CDs. So we may expect a total duration of about 560 minutes.

The format, you ask? Well, thing is: since vinyl is ubiquitous nowadays, and does very well, Universal decided to take a new bold step to honour a popular technology from yesteryear.

The boxed set will hold 80 shellac 12" records, as introduced by RCA-Victor in 1903. These offer about 3 and a half minutes playing time per side. That makes 560 minutes in total. Needless to say that a beautiful replica of a Victrola record player will be included for free. And a case-bound newly written Beach Boys Encyclopedia in 5 luxurious volumes, spanning 2,500 pages.

No details were given to me about price point and shipping costs, I am sorry to say.

_______

Motto: old is the new new, and mining the past is totally hip.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »

Well, re 25th, I do like me some 80's cheese, especially 80's beach cheese...loud shirts, OP, Vuarnet, Windsurfers...

And, Ray Charles, The Everly Brothers, Glen Campbell, those are solid guests in my book!

Really though, my comment is more that as a format, it would seem like a doable option. Probably right up Joe Thomas' alley, and Irving and Jerry's involvement could bring out some heavy hitters!

And you can control the end product. I've seen some cringe worthy live appearances over the years!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2022, 04:28:07 PM »

I'm really sad there won't be a 60th tour and I'm really sad we probably won't even see them all on stage together in any meaningful way again

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2022, 08:12:37 PM »

Same.

Just thought about how it’s been 10 years since C50. Amazing how quickly time passes

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2022, 11:07:05 PM »

I'm really sad there won't be a 60th tour and I'm really sad we probably won't even see them all on stage together in any meaningful way again
I think they're just waiting for the 70th anniversary to roll around. Or maybe the guys are saving it up for the 60th anniversary of Pet Sounds. There might even be an anniversary box set to tie in with that date.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2022, 06:56:00 AM »

There is no need for a 60th anniversary reunion tour.  These guys do not owe us one either.  And despite the way the 50th anniversary reunion fizzled out near the end, it overshadowed the fact that it was still actually a very successful and high profile reunion complete with a great appearance on Jimmy Fallon's show among other appearances.   And it produced an album that was far better than it had any reason to be.  Even if some folks groaned over the production, it still is a better way to conclude the band's studio album career than with Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1 and especially Summer In Paradise.   The potential documentary is more than enough to recognize the band's milestone.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:56:33 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2022, 08:46:55 AM »

There is no need for a 60th anniversary reunion tour.  These guys do not owe us one either.  And despite the way the 50th anniversary reunion fizzled out near the end, it overshadowed the fact that it was still actually a very successful and high profile reunion complete with a great appearance on Jimmy Fallon's show among other appearances.   And it produced an album that was far better than it had any reason to be.  Even if some folks groaned over the production, it still is a better way to conclude the band's studio album career than with Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1 and especially Summer In Paradise.   The potential documentary is more than enough to recognize the band's milestone.

Not trying to derail the thread, but am I really in the minority of people who actually prefer Summer In Paradise to Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1?

I mean, admittedly, I'm not a country music fan, generally speaking. But, even with all the problems of Summer In Paradise, it just pains me to see The Beach Boys being used as a back-up band to mostly second or third rate country artists. The only redeeming quality for me is that the background vocals are stellar as always, and I quite like this version of "Caroline, No."

But, I absolutely agree that That's Why God Made The Radio is far and away a MUCH better ending for the guys than even a new studio album at this point would be. Even if I'd welcome it with open arms.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2022, 12:11:20 PM »

Not trying to derail the thread, but am I really in the minority of people who actually prefer Summer In Paradise to Stars & Stripes, Vol. 1?

I mean, admittedly, I'm not a country music fan, generally speaking. But, even with all the problems of Summer In Paradise, it just pains me to see The Beach Boys being used as a back-up band to mostly second or third rate country artists. The only redeeming quality for me is that the background vocals are stellar as always, and I quite like this version of "Caroline, No."

But, I absolutely agree that That's Why God Made The Radio is far and away a MUCH better ending for the guys than even a new studio album at this point would be. Even if I'd welcome it with open arms.
I'm with you 100% on this.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx