gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 60th Anniversary Tour  (Read 17107 times)
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »

If the Beach Boys have a 60th Anniversary tour, what are the chances of getting The Honeys involved?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »

I think the chances of such a tour are very poor to begin with. As for The Honeys, they’ve been retired from performing for many years, at least Marilyn has, and it might also bring back painful memories with the way her and Brian’s marriage dissolved.

The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »

Yes, I have wishful thinking. As for The Honeys, it's so unfortunate that they never put out more music with Brian. I know it was circumstances, but it's still too bad.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 08:12:36 AM »

I think the chances of such a tour are very poor to begin with. As for The Honeys, they’ve been retired from performing for many years, at least Marilyn has, and it might also bring back painful memories with the way her and Brian’s marriage dissolved.

The Honeys performed a show in August. They still perform shows, just not regularly.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »

The Honeys performed a show in August. They still perform shows, just not regularly.

Yes, and I think they did that California Saga benefit a couple years ago, and they did something over Zoom last year.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 06:36:23 AM »

I don't hold out much hope for a tour.  Maybe a one-off show?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:50:12 AM »

Both Brian and Mike have their own shows booked through much of 2022, so there's certainly no way something on the magnitude of 2012's C50 could happen next year, at least not in the Spring/Summer.

Considering the timing, and the stuff they already have booked, and the way 2012 went down, I'd also guess a larger tour is unlikely.

I think they'd treat the 60th as more of a semi-hands-off multi-media project than an album/tour "reunion" cycle. Maybe that documentary Iconic has talked about, and a one-shot show (or short string of shows culled for a single airing/release). And *possibly* a new album? Not sure if they have the motivation and time to do another new album, especially if it's *not* leading up to a full tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »

Both Brian and Mike have their own shows booked through much of 2022, so there's certainly no way something on the magnitude of 2012's C50 could happen next year, at least not in the Spring/Summer.

Considering the timing, and the stuff they already have booked, and the way 2012 went down, I'd also guess a larger tour is unlikely.

I think they'd treat the 60th as more of a semi-hands-off multi-media project than an album/tour "reunion" cycle. Maybe that documentary Iconic has talked about, and a one-shot show (or short string of shows culled for a single airing/release). And *possibly* a new album? Not sure if they have the motivation and time to do another new album, especially if it's *not* leading up to a full tour.

Really though, how much time and effort went into the recording of TWGMTR by the actual principals?  Obviously, Brian (and maybe Mike to a lesser extent) would have to write material, but I'm not sure that the five Beach Boys were involved in more than just a handful of recording sessions.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:14:25 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »

10 years from now, we'll be begging the guys to reunite one more time for the 70th anniversary.
I'm quite happy with things as they are now. Mike has a great band around him now that plays the songs the way they should be played. You don't have to love Mike as a person to admit he's got a great band now.
For those who can't stomach the thought of being in a room with Mike and Bruce, there is the Brian and Al and Blondie show.
This way, everybody wins.
Try putting the two factions together again, and inevitably it's gonna cause a clash again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »

I’ll believe it when I see it as far as a world tour goes, but the 5CD set is a new one.

The group’s 60th anniversary will be marked by the release of a retrospective five-CD set, a new documentary and, “hopefully,” a world tour, Jardine said.

https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/brian-wilson-special-guests-bring-beach-boys-catalog-to-the-palace/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »

Without cancelling a lot of dates (that have only been rescheduled multiple times) there isn't physically enough time on the calendar for a world tour. Maybe a small scattering of dates in the fall at best.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 07:07:56 AM »

I’ll believe it when I see it as far as a world tour goes, but the 5CD set is a new one.

The group’s 60th anniversary will be marked by the release of a retrospective five-CD set, a new documentary and, “hopefully,” a world tour, Jardine said.

https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/brian-wilson-special-guests-bring-beach-boys-catalog-to-the-palace/

I think that one has already been released...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 07:17:11 AM »

There is really logistically almost no way to make a 2012/C50-sized "World Tour" happen for 2022 given their individual solo dates already booked through the first half or more of 2022.

The earliest they could start a full-on *tour* would be late Summer/early Fall.

My guess is that the 60th will be about some sort of documentary, some sort of new career-spanning best-of compilation (I already have heard a few things about it), and, if live shows are in the offing, I think we're looking at one show or a short string of shows. It might be something that could be called a small "tour", but I don't envision a 73-date, 5-month tour like 2012 (and even that tour in 2012 was short for such a big deal project).

I'd say even a "new" studio album seems more likely and doable than a large reunion tour, given their schedules.

And, hopefully, we'll also get the next archival set in 2022 as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 06:34:53 AM »

I'd bet the "60th Anniversary Tour" will be merely a string of Mike and Bruce dates.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »

They desperately need an era-defining documentary like the Beatles Anthology to really give their notoriety a massive kick up the bum. There’s nothing you can show people currently to explain what the band is about.

The 2/3 world cities concert idea still sounds like the most likely one to me
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:37:56 AM by UEF » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 02:59:46 PM »

I’m going to revive this thread for a second to say some things I forgot to say before the board temporarily went down. Didn’t Brian and Al already shoot down a new album? Second, if LPR hadn’t been given a soundtrack, was some of the newer material technically “available” to reuse for a possible full Brian solo or BB album?

I also agree with the statement that a 5-CD set has already been released: maybe they’ll repress MIC? That’d be nice - I wasn’t as big a fan as I am now, and I’d like to get a copy soon.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 06:11:55 AM »

I’m going to revive this thread for a second to say some things I forgot to say before the board temporarily went down. Didn’t Brian and Al already shoot down a new album? Second, if LPR hadn’t been given a soundtrack, was some of the newer material technically “available” to reuse for a possible full Brian solo or BB album?

I also agree with the statement that a 5-CD set has already been released: maybe they’ll repress MIC? That’d be nice - I wasn’t as big a fan as I am now, and I’d like to get a copy soon.

I don't see them re-releasing MIC but it's a good bet there will be yet *another* inevitable greatest hits compilation to cash in on the occasion.  Although it would seem the group has been very quiet as to how they will celebrate their anniversary or if they plan on even recognizing it at all. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 06:52:24 AM »

Trust me, there's PLENTY going on.
kenh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »

Thanks, Howie, for giving us something(s) to look forward to !!

Ken H
Houston, TX

Ken H
Houston, TX USA
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 07:32:53 PM »

Thanks, Howie, for giving us something(s) to look forward to !!

Ken H
Houston, TX

Ahh a fellow Houstonian I see! Been here all 43 years on this planet myself

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kenh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 01:19:36 PM »

Only 71 years for me !!     

Ken H
Houston, TX  USA

Ken H
Houston, TX USA
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2022, 12:30:05 PM »

Al just posted a birthday message for Mike and included “See you at the reunion”.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2022, 12:51:18 PM »

Al just posted a birthday message for Mike and included “See you at the reunion”.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Darn that Al Jardine.  Every time I think I'm out, he pulls me back in...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2022, 01:23:05 PM »

Darn that Al Jardine.  Every time I think I'm out, he pulls me back in...

We can always count on Al to give us news of the Family

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2022, 02:15:15 PM »

The luhvfather! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx