gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:00:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian album announced  (Read 30147 times)
donutbandit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2007, 09:57:15 PM »

Autotune? Why an issue? It's obvious that Brian has been using some kind of aural enhancement on his voice since at least the late 1980s. Listen to the all too brittle sound of the Sweet Insanity tracks. Listen to the backgrounds on self titled. The tracks are all aurally sweetened to include only the highest frequencies. Using Autotune is only another step in that direction.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2007, 09:50:22 AM »

A lot of people on this board consider using any digital assistance the equivalent of eating children.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »

Didn't Stephen Desper say that as far back as the late 60s/early 70s, Brian was speeding up his some of his vocals to make them a smidge higher (I'm not talking about Caroline No, but about songs where he was having trouble hitting the notes even then). Correct me if I'm wrong.

A lot of singers use autotune. Does McCartney? No idea, but I'd guess yes. It's like how models use airbrushing, I guess, and to a lesser extent how athletes use steroids.

But Brian does still sing live, so I don't think he's trying to hide anything.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2007, 12:33:51 PM »

You're right about Desper's comment. And as some people are probably sick of hearing me say, I don't think it matters at all. A studio album isn't the same thing as a live show, and if it were supposed to be, virtually everyone has been "cheating' for the entire history of rock. (In fact, jazz, too. I just read the liners to a Monk & Coltrane album that notes that different takes were spliced to fix a post-solo train wreck (not 'Trane wreck...no puns here) on an otherwise good take. And that would've been circa '57.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2007, 08:51:01 PM »

Again like I've said a million times too, if you throw out autotune you've got to throw out reverb and chorus effects and double tracking lead vocals and blah blah blah all for the same exact reason.  Insincere replication of somebody's actual singing voice.  So for instance when Brian's singing the entire track on "Love and Mercy", you have to turn the radio off because tha'ts impossible for him to sing live.  It's just a rediculous argument to say Autotune is cancer or whatever. 
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 27, 2007, 01:45:36 AM »

A new Brian Wilson album is always good news! So - are they going for a one-two release plan in 2008 (like in 2004)
with the 'regular' album first  and the the big song cycle  following  later that year? 'That Lucky Old Sun' as  presen-
ted live last year is among brian's finest pieces of works ever and his best in decades - and should be kept as an entity!
(allowing modifications and bonus tracks - sure, but without losing its integrity altogether please). So when he claims in
the new interview that he IS recording TLOS soon, does that mean that they are working on two albums simultaneously?
Just wondering...

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2007, 02:05:45 AM »

Just found this (from the blueboard).TLOS could be recorded as soon as next month (mid january 2008)?:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07360/844253-42.stm

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2007, 02:30:04 AM »

A new Brian Wilson album is always good news! So - are they going for a one-two release plan in 2008 (like in 2004)
with the 'regular' album first  and the the big song cycle  following  later that year? 'That Lucky Old Sun' as  presen-
ted live last year is among brian's finest pieces of works ever and his best in decades - and should be kept as an entity!
(allowing modifications and bonus tracks - sure, but without losing its integrity altogether please). So when he claims in
the new interview that he IS recording TLOS soon, does that mean that they are working on two albums simultaneously?
Just wondering...

Most of the 'album' that Brian & Scotty were working on in 2006 was utilised for "TLOS" (and according to Scotty they were only cutting demos anyway). I sincerely doubt that there is another 'new' album - but iffn there is I hope it's a helluva lot better than GIOMH. (Bear in mind that GIOMH was all ready for release before BWPS was premiered and was, allegedly, part of the studio BWPS package].

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2007, 03:39:30 AM »

Just wondering...

Most of the 'album' that Brian & Scotty were working on in 2006 was utilised for "TLOS" (and according to Scotty they were only cutting demos anyway). I sincerely doubt that there is another 'new' album - but iffn there is I hope it's a helluva lot better than GIOMH. (Bear in mind that GIOMH was all ready for release before BWPS was premiered and was, allegedly, part of the studio BWPS package].

Andrew, that last part intrigues me, since GIOMH and BWPS were released by two different labels (at least the CD editions were...granted, the vinyl versions were both on Rhino...and granted, both Rhino and Nonesuch were distributied by Warners...but still, two different labels...)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2007, 05:16:54 AM »

I don't think there is another album besides That Lucky Old Sun.  This thread was started in September of 2006, and as someone already said, most of the song titles mentioned found their way into TLOS, in one way or another.  Brian did mention a new song, "Love Is Just A Song", being recently recorded, but who knows if that's another demo.  The Carl tribute was something done in one day, and as good as Brian's vocals are, it's really not releaseable as is.  I just hope Brian's vocal sweetness, however it's achieved, is present on the TLOS recording. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:53 AM »

I don't think there is another album besides That Lucky Old Sun.  This thread was started in September of 2006, and as someone already said, most of the song titles mentioned found their way into TLOS, in one way or another.  Brian did mention a new song, "Love Is Just A Song", being recently recorded, but who knows if that's another demo.  The Carl tribute was something done in one day, and as good as Brian's vocals are, it's really not releaseable as is.  I just hope Brian's vocal sweetness, however it's achieved, is present on the TLOS recording. 

I would think they'd use the "demo" vocals for "Midnight's Another Day" and "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"...those vocals are of a very high quality, and I really can't imagine Brian doing a better job these days.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2007, 09:44:37 AM »

I would think they'd use the "demo" vocals for "Midnight's Another Day" and "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"...those vocals are of a very high quality, and I really can't imagine Brian doing a better job these days.

I can't agree on the latter--at least unless they bury him in the mix in favor of the others on the higher parts, on which he sounds like garbage.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »

I can't agree on the latter--at least unless they bury him in the mix in favor of the others on the higher parts, on which he sounds like garbage.

Really?  I thought he sounded really good on the high parts in that one.  Although I do admit that having the band doing the harmonies would probably sound even better.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »

I think Brian sounds great on the "Forever... Surfer Girl" demo. It's my least favorite TLOS song, but he sounds great on it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx