gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:05:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian album announced  (Read 30136 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »

Taken from BBBritain:

Launch Radio Networks has issued the following report
from Howie Edelson:

BRIAN WILSON SCALING THINGS BACK ON NEW STUDIO ALBUM

Brian Wilson is back in the studio and going full steam ahead for a new solo album, due out next year. In an exclusive to LAUNCH, Wilson revealed that in addition to the track he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach called "What Love Can Do," he's completed about a half dozen tracks, featuring most of the instruments and vocals performed by himself and touring band member Scott Bennett. Wilson added that on several songs horns have been overdubbed.

LAUNCH asked Wilson if he's heading into the studio every day: ["No. Not every day. Every two, three days. About four, four hours per session. I'm writing on a synthesizer. It's like a kick, it makes me inspired to write a melody."] SOUNDCUE (:10 OC: . . . write a melody)

The stripped down approach has been used by Wilson many times in the past, most notably on the Beach Boys' Wild Honey and The Beach Boys Love You albums, released in 1967 and 1977, respectively.

Wilson's mid-'90s work with the Paley Brothers' Andy Paley was the last time he utilized the "two-man-band" approach.

Among the songs that Wilson said will be included on the still-untitled album are "Oxygen To The Brain," "I'm Goin' Home," "A Message Man," "Wonderin' What You're Up To Now," a new untitled ballad sung partially in Spanish with both music and lyrics by Wilson, the Bacharach co-written "What Love Can Do," and a cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Proud Mary."

Brian Wilson will be performing a special 40th anniversary performance of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album on November 1st in Los Angeles at UCLA's Royce Hall. It's his only remaining scheduled show this year.

So he does most of the singing by himself again....hm....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:37:14 AM »

Interesting...

Well, Scott Bennett is a one-man band, he can play darn near everything you'd want instrumentally from drums to guitar to keys to harmonica to who knows what else. And he's a VERY good vocalist. And the "No Wrong Notes In Heaven" collaboration with BW on Scott's "Dotted Line" CD is quite good.

But...

I just am afraid of the vocals. At first blush it seems it could easily be too much Brian. But maybe there are other bandmembers doing vocals as well, that would be a real plus.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:39:47 AM »

Frankly, I really like the sound of this. This sounds like the most BRIAN project that Brian's worked on in a long time. It sounds like he's large and in charge on this 'un, and the stripped down approach really appeals.

I dig the song titles too: "Oxygen To The Brain?" Sweet.

And "Proud Mary" *FINALLY* resurges! That oughta make AGD have fits, but I'm ecstatic.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:39:56 AM »

I hope it's more like Wild Honey than The Beach Boys Love You.

Glenn
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »

I hope the exact reverse.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 07:44:37 AM »

Wonder if it'll have 'It's Not Easy Being Me' on it?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:48:06 AM »

I like the sound of it, I love the Paley sessions, I want more Brian being hands on. I like 'Goin home' assuming thats the one from then. 'Wondering...' is a title mentioned in the Tim White book, I think. I can live without Proud Mary, but at least we get the Shortenin bread riff again!
I think if Brian sings well I can live with it, personally (not a popular opinion) the BW band vocals get on my nerves a bit after a while.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:53:16 AM »

I was hoping that Brian would use other vocalists to round out the vocal blend.  Can Scott Bennett sing falsetto?  Why not bring in Mike Love to put that bottom down, and bring Al Jardine in (on a different day, if necessary...no problem) to further aid in getting that Beach Boys sound.  I'll buy it just to hear the Wilson/Bacharach (or is it Bacharach/Wilson?) tune.  
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 08:03:50 AM »

I'm very worried about the inclusion of Proud Mary. What the heck's Brian going to do once that's in the public domain? There'll be no more reason to continue...

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 08:13:10 AM »

I'm very worried about the inclusion of Proud Mary. What the heck's Brian going to do once that's in the public domain?

Well, watching the game, having a bud...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 08:31:25 AM »

I want Darian on this release, DARIAN RULES FOREVER!
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 09:11:59 AM »

I was hoping that Brian would use other vocalists to round out the vocal blend.  Can Scott Bennett sing falsetto?

Yes, but not as well as Jeff or Probyn Gregory (or Taylor).  So maybe we'll hear Jeffrey on there too - assuming there are falsetto parts to be sung.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »

I want Darian on this release, DARIAN RULES FOREVER!

I think Lee mentioned that Darian is on a years contract with Disney, writing soundtrack stuff.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »

Yes!  Brian singing a song in spanish!  One can only hope for "Featuring: Special Guest, Esteban."

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »

I doubt that Darian's contract doesn't allow him to work with any other artist, if he's only doing incidental music then there certainly wouldn't be a problem, and since the 'Mints tend to bust the studio out in a week, there is no way he couldn't find time to record some vocals, I'm sure between Brian Wilson and Disney he can afford a plane ticket to wherever Brian is recording.  And also, I think it's time for a new Wondermints record, Mind If We Make Love to You has been playing for 4 years, I need more 'Mints!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 10:23:37 AM »

F*CK YES!!!

That's about the best news I've heard in a while! I think the stripped-down approach is a great thing. I hope for something in the spirit of "Friends". I mean, I love his last records, but he tried very hard to copy a style that he is famous for (wall of sound). This one sounds like something new, original.

"I'm writing on a synthesizer"; "Oxygen To The Brain"; "sung in spanish"... The whole project sounds much more experimental to me than his last albums. It sounds like he does what he wants to do, not what would be commercial.... God I can't wait to hear something of it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 10:25:32 AM »

It somehow doesn't matter to me this time if the vocals are rough, or un-perfect, as long as he sings with FEELING.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 10:43:09 AM »

Get in the studio, get it recorded and get out.  Do it once, with FEELING.  Skip the multitracked BW vocals. 
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »

This sounds extremley promising. I just hope he uses real instruments, instead of synth sounds, and his voice is in great shape.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:00:40 AM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »

I just hope he uses real instruments, instead of synth sounds
Well, why not? I could live with some Love You-eccentricity.

Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »

Heh, I don't care if he uses real instruments or not, only thing that matters is that he is genuinly interested in the recordings and makes them as perfect as he can, based on his own current preferences and not someone elses or someones elses expectations.

And I still think he can sing a nice falsetto, if he really tries to perfect it when recording. The falsetto on surfs up (a childrens sooong) I think is totally fine. I still prefer a later-day brian falsetto to someone elses.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:07:40 AM by Rockard » Logged
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »

For an example of how it might sound, check out "Walking Down The Path Of Life," which I believe was ALSO cut with basically Brian and Scotty.

I think that song is one of the most interesting things he's done in a while. It at least has a measure of creativity and passion and he sounds very engaged, and its a lovely melody.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 11:12:06 AM »

To me, Brian is way past the point where he has to proof anything anymore to anyone. I'm just happy that he is having fun recording some new music. Especially in way that HE wants to record it, not how some Joe Thomas-guy wants it.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 11:14:23 AM »

I truly doubt that this is going to be an "experimental" album by any means, yet it still could turn out to be the most honest and inspired recording of his entire solo career. But then, that's pretty much what everybody's waiting for almost anytime a new BW record is being announced, isn't it?

Can't wait. Smiley

If he's going to do some truly stripped-down music like Anna Lee, The Healer, now that whole project might turn out to be fantastic. Kind of glad he's going to work with Bennett.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:19:32 AM by phirnis » Logged
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »

For an example of how it might sound, check out "Walking Down The Path Of Life," which I believe was ALSO cut with basically Brian and Scotty.

I think that song is one of the most interesting things he's done in a while. It at least has a measure of creativity and passion and he sounds very engaged, and its a lovely melody.

I agree, I like the song - but don't forget the voice on top was Taylor Mills.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx