gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:06:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My failed "Brian" (1990) Wiki entry  (Read 4212 times)
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »

Hello there, I may hold the record for longest lurker. I guess it's been almost 20 years!

Anyway, my BBs superfandom goes all the back to the glory days of 1986, the 25th anniversary special, the "Heroes and Villains" Gaines book, and Carl yelling at John Stamos on the "You Again" show for not being able to read music.

I'll discuss more of that another time...I'm here to ask for some help on something I worked on last winter for a week or so. My favorite (as opposed to "the best") BW solo album is the first version of Sweet Insanity called "Brian".  I became so caught up in tracking down as much info on this version of the album as I could, that I wrote an entire entry on the "Brian" link on the SI page. It was rejected for "unverifed sources", etc. I forgot about it and it has since been completely deleted from Wiki.

I was wondering if y'all might be interested in reading it if I post it here. I believe that I dug up a couple of facts on this topic that have not been discussed elsewhere. At the very least I think you'll find it entertaining reading. If anyone wants to pick up the ball and run with some of this text in a new Wiki post, feel free...I don't care about credit, it would just be cool to have more detailed info out there on this unusual project. I don't think I have time to mess with the Wiki thing for awhile.

Looking forward to posting more and hearing from you!

Tante
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »

Hello there, I may hold the record for longest lurker. I guess it's been almost 20 years!

Anyway, my BBs superfandom goes all the back to the glory days of 1986, the 25th anniversary special, the "Heroes and Villains" Gaines book, and Carl yelling at John Stamos on the "You Again" show for not being able to read music.

I'll discuss more of that another time...I'm here to ask for some help on something I worked on last winter for a week or so. My favorite (as opposed to "the best") BW solo album is the first version of Sweet Insanity called "Brian".  I became so caught up in tracking down as much info on this version of the album as I could, that I wrote an entire entry on the "Brian" link on the SI page. It was rejected for "unverifed sources", etc. I forgot about it and it has since been completely deleted from Wiki.

I was wondering if y'all might be interested in reading it if I post it here. I believe that I dug up a couple of facts on this topic that have not been discussed elsewhere. At the very least I think you'll find it entertaining reading. If anyone wants to pick up the ball and run with some of this text in a new Wiki post, feel free...I don't care about credit, it would just be cool to have more detailed info out there on this unusual project. I don't think I have time to mess with the Wiki thing for awhile.

Looking forward to posting more and hearing from you!

Tante

Welcome! Please feel free to post your information here, I know I'd be interested to read it and I'm sure others would too.

I've had the "Sweet Insanity" material on CD for years (scored a Vigotone silverdisc copy in a record shop's clearance rack before they went out of business back in the 90's), and it's a bit of a conflict for me - I can hear some glimpses of classic BW songwriting peeking through, but it's difficult to get beyond the dated production and the Landy influences. So absolutely, if you have some new perspectives on the music I'm interested!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:39:58 AM »

Hi Guitarfool, been enjoying your posts for sometime! All I have right now are cell phone pics of my finished Wiki post. I'll try to upload those first (there are ten photo images). They are not the best images so I can try to pull the text off them later.

ANY corrections, updates, current info, etc. on the "Brian" album are more than welcome in my book. This is the only topic I've felt compelled to do a Wiki on. BTW the 30th anniversary of the Prime Time Live special is in two weeks. It is mentioned on my Wiki because I believe the woman in shadow talking about Brian not being able to get calls is NOT Melinda as many people believe.

I'll get the Wiki photos up in myy next post if I can. Thanks GF!
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 08:50:24 AM »

Sorry, I couldn't get those to upload. Will send text tomorrow morning (Pacific time)

Thanks again for your interest!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »

Welcome to the board  ! 😎

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »

Hi Billy C! Thanks for the greeting. OK here goes...my "Brian" wiki, warts and all!

Introduction

"Brian"" is the first version of the album project more commonly known as "Sweet Insanity".

As of early 2021, very little is known about the actual recording of this version of the album, other than the few references in the 1991 book "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (My Own Story), Beach Boys fan magazines from 1990-1991, and deep internet searching. The two versions of t

Timeline

Below is an attempt to construct a timeline of events surrounding the recording of these tracks.

Late February 1990-Brian Wilson tests out piano and vocal acoustics at the Brains and Genius studio in West Los Angeles before renovations were complete.

March 1990-"Brian" sessions commence upon completion of the studio. Songs that didn't make it to "Sweet Insanity" are as follows: "Let's Stick Together" (with guest star "Weird Al" Yankovic on accordion, later released as "The Waltz" with lyrics by Van Dyke Parks), "Save The Day", "Concert Tonight" (full version, only the vocal intro was used for "Sweet Insanity") and "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll' without Bob Dylan's verse vocals, which appear to have been added for "Sweet Insanity", as they are not part of the 1990 mix of "Brian". The recording of only one song is publicly known to have been pinned down to a date, which is the May 3, 1990 session for "Water Builds Up".

May 7, 1990-Stan Love press conference, Brian appears and reads statement.

July 2, 1990-The "hotel jam" featuring Brian, Bruce Johnston, Jeff Foskett and John Stamos, with Kevin Leslie behind the camera. "Brian" songs performed during this gathering were: "Someone To Love", "Rainbow Eyes", "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" and "Brian".  None of the lyrics seemed to be complete to the songs other than "Spirit" (whih was written in 1986) or Brian possibly could not remember them at the time. It should also be mentioned that Bruce forcefully tries to help Brian rearrange "Rainbow Eyes', which Brian politely dismisses.

July 28, 1990-Brian's appearances at the Beach Boys Convention in San Diego, and the Hard Rock Cafe in La Jolla, CA. Brian only performed "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" from the album. He is interrupted mid-performance by an assistant, who tells him to perform to the pre-recorded track instead. T-shirts were sold during the event that read "BRIAN WILSON The Spirit Of Rock And Roll" but it is unknown if this title was possibly being considered for the album. A video that was solod of the two appearances shows a clip of Brian dining with Eugene Landy and Alexandra Morgan afterwards.

(Footnote: The assistant who interrupted Brian's performance is also speaking about the "Spirit Of Rock And Roll" session at the beginning of the existing video. "You be Mike, you be Carl, etc." It is believed by some that this is the former Landy employee who is featured in shadow in the Prime Time Live special "Brian's Song", but this cannot be confirmed at this time.)

Part one ends here, more coming later today. Thanks for reading!
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »

Here is part two (and the rest of the timeline)

Late summer through late fall 1990-"Brian" listening parties. It was documented in Beach Boys fan magazines at the time that listening parties were sometimes held at Brains and Genius studio to obtain feedback on the cuts. One such party was attended by Don Was, who went on to produce both Brian and The Beach Boys in the mid-1990s. He described the tracks once as "maybe having too uch stuff on there, and he hadn't sorted out what to use yet". One person who was able to attend asked someone in the studio who was producing the album, and they pointed to Brian and said "he is".

December 4, 1990 (date unconfirmed)-"Heal The Bay" benefit. Three "Brian" songs were performed with backing tracks and possibly Rob Wasserman on bass. These are: "Water Builds Up", "Make A Wish", and "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll". Recordings emerged of backing and vocal tracks to these tree songs around the mid-2000s in near pristine quality. Close examination of the lone poor quality tape that exists of the "Heal The Bay" show reveal these to be the same recordings, mixed down for this performance (and possibly others).

Early December 1990-Meeting between Brian, Lenny Waronker, Seymour Stein, Eugene Landy and Alexandra Morgan to premiere what is referred to as an "unmixed" version of "Brian" to the Sire executives. It is possible that this version may have been thought of at the time by the studio team to be the finished version. The meeting did not go well, as documented in pg. 380-383 of the "Wouldn't It Be Nice" book.

This could be considered to be the end of this phase of the solo album project. Brian appeared on a cooking show shortly after the meeting. He made a dish called "Surfer Chicken" which he called "a collaboration between Eugene E. Landy, Alexandra Morgan and myself". He went on to discuss his frustration with the record company: "Our company thinks that we should go back in and fix it up a little bit. They said, well we like it, but they think we better fix it up, like the hard rock songs should rock a little harder, that the ballads should sing a little differently, so we said "ah well, okay, we'll do it". He then sings a piece of "Smart Girls" for the guests.

That's the end of the "Brian" timeline. Be back later with the track-by-track! Thanks again for reading.
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »

Okay here are some corrections:

The keyboard ate part of the opening paragraph. It should say:

The two versions of the album are quite different, and this will be discussed in depth in the section "Track-by-track A-B".

Videos were sold, not solod.
"Tree Songs"=three songs
"too uch"-too much

Glad to be part of the board!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 06:22:39 PM »

Tante, thanks for the contribution. Wikipedia is a pain to deal with. i've submitted corrections to articles numerous times, been rejected for not having enough sources, yet other people seem to be able to just post anything over there.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 08:09:47 AM »

If you are interested in the dates of some sessions go to http://www.bellagio10452.com/gigs90.html as well as the 1989 page and you will see the sessions listed that we have viewed AFMs of for Sweet Insanity. The site was developed by AGD and I am responsible for all the gigs info and some of the sessions info. C-Man has contributed a lot of sessions info based on American federation of musicians forms and inside info he has been privy to as well.
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 08:40:23 AM »

Hi Lonely Summer! Yeah, I think I've come to that conclusion too...

Now onto the rest of the Wiki entry!

Track-By-Track comparison between "Brian" and "Sweet Insanity"

The two sources for this comparison are the original mix of "Brian" that has circulated since late 1991, and the Brains and Genius "Sweet Insanity" cassette distrubuted to certain parties around the same period. Some fans prefer the original "Brian" mixes to the finished "Sweet Insanity" project (especially in the case of "Smart Girls") and there have been attempts to mix the two versions together, with interesting results. Higher quality versions of "Smart Girls" version 1 and "Let's Stick Together" have recently surfaced online.

The main differences in the two album mixes, which utilize the same backing tracks, can be found in the bass (believed to be performed by Rob Wasserman, judging by the credits for "Smart Girls" and the similar bass style used throughout "Brian") which is MUCH more prevalent on "Brian", and the more eclectic sounds in the mix being minimized in an attempt to make "Sweet Insanity" sound more commercial.

The two versions will be referred to as "Bri" and "SI" for this section.

"Concert Tonight": Only the fifteen second intro is used for SI. It appears to be the identical mix for both.

"Someone To Love": Slight lyric differences. Verse and chorus lyrics are answered on "Bri" with Brian speaking in suggestive tones words like "Oh baby, let me come inside". On SI, the lyrics are answered by singing.

"Water Builds Up": Very slight lyric differences. Brian's vocal is pitched lower in many spots on "Bri". Bass is much louder, as is the tea kettle whistle sound. Brian's new lead vocal mixed much louder on SI.

"Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel": Major lyric differences in first and second verses. Horns are mixed louder through verses on "Bri". Choruses appear identical on "Bri" and SI, save for drum machine additions.

"Do You Have Any Regrets" (aka "I Do"): Very slight lyric and musical differences, mainly the much louder bass on the "Bri" version. Fade uses more echo on SI.

"Brian" (aka "Thank You"): Intro starts with bass on "Bri", tinkly synths on SI. Lyrics are identical. Bass is louder as usual. Unfortunately the "stuck on Band-Aid" trumpet solo is on both versions.

"The Spirit Of Rock And Roll": Same lyrics. Brian sings all verses on "Bri", Bob Dylan trades verse vocals on SI. Brett Tuggle and Gregg Bissonette from David Lee Roth's band played on this, as well as guitarist Steve Hunter. A picture exists on Waddy Wachtel's site of them together at the session.

"Rainbow Eyes": Slight lyric differences, again the bass is much more prevalent on "Bri", and almost non-existent on SI. Six second outro utilized on SI; unknown if it was recorded for Bri and not used then.

"Make A Wish": Different bridge lyrics, louder instrumentation on"Bri", louder mix on SI. Music stops on bridge on SI except for synths. Slight lyric differences on verses.

"Smart Girls": Slightly different lead vocal, lower pitched and less "shouty" on "Bri". All Beach Boys song references are sung in multi-part vocal by Brian on "Bri". The original vocal takes bleed through on the SI mix. Many fans prefer the "Bri" version (at least as a novelty) over the sample-laden mess that is the SI version.

Musicians (this is based on the "Smart Girls" cassette credits and other mentions)

Brian Wilson-lead and background vocals, musical arrangements

Michael Bernard-keyboards, percussion, special fx, programmer

Rob Wasserman-Clevinger 4-String bass

Guest musicians:

Tim Weisberg-flute, piccolo

Paula Abdul-backing vocals

"Weird Al" Yankovic-accordian

Fred Katz-cello

Scott Page-saxophone

John Stamos-backing vocals

Guests on the "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll":

Brett Tuggle-piano, keyboards

Steve Hunter-guitar

Gregg Bissonette-drums

Bob Dylan-lead vocals (Note: Brian mentions Bob singing on his record at the "Heal The Bay" show. Whether this had taken plae by December 1990 is unknown, but his vocal is not on the "Brian" mix.,

Other possible guests: David Marks, Glen Campbell, Eugene E. Landy

Sources: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (My Own Story), Brian Wilson and Todd Gold, Harper Collins, 1991.

Beach Boys Stomp, issues 79-92.

Brains and Genius "Smart Girls" cassette insert

Waddy Wachtel musician site: Sweet Insanity (unreleased 1989)

Beach Boys Convention video 1990

"Hotel Jam" video, July 2, 1990

"Heal The Bay" show, December 4, 1990 (collector's cassette)

OK that's it man! Thanks for reading.
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 08:45:41 AM »

Hi Ian! Thank you so much, don't know how I missed that. I could have really used this info (not that Wiki would have accepted it anyway) but this is all great stuff for us completists.

BTW-One more correction...it should say "Let's Stick Together" was re-recorded and released as "The Waltz".

Thanks again y'all!!

Tante
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »

Okay checked that out Ian, great great info! So we now have:

June 23, 1990-"Spirit Of Rock And Roll" session (possibly the one with the Roth band and the picture on Waddy's site)

August 20-23, 1990-Studio Ultimo sessions for "Brian" album. All of the songs were worked on during this four day period except "Save The Day". These might have been instrumental tracking sessions for the project.

September 4, 1990-Brains and Genius session. All of the "Brian" songs were worked on except "Do You Have Any Regrets", "Save The Day", "Let's Stick Together" and "Smart Girls". Possibly a vocals-only session.

"Weird Al" also played accordian on "Rainbow Eyes" and "Angel"!

"Heal The Bay" benefit date is actually December 1, 1990.

Since there is no session info for "Save The Day", it's possible that this was entirely made at Brains and Genius given the "demo-ey" nature of the track. Interesting that there is no 1991 session info for SI. Curious...

Thanks again for the terrific info Ian!
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »

OMG Ian!! This 1980s-1990s session info is a goldmine.

A couple of questions arise...did you happen to notice on the AFM sheets if Rob Wasserman played all of the bass on the "Brian" sessions? Sure sounds like him, and it is a HUGE part of the sound of the "Brian" stuff. Studio Ultimo seemed to be a common studio destination for BW during the 1987-1990 period. I have questions about some of the BW88 stuff I'll post in another thread (God forbid!)

With the session info from Ian and co., this only leaves "Love Ya" as a song specifically recorded for SI. When and where did this session take place? (as well as the many new overdubs for SI)

Just one more question (Columbo style..) Have any of the board members actually been to a "Brian" listening session? Was Landy there? Was it awkward??

Thanks everyone!

Tante

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 06:17:48 PM »

"Weird Al" also played accordian on "Rainbow Eyes" and "Angel"!

Side note: I met Weird Al several years ago, and sincerely regret that I completely brain-farted and forgot to ask him about working with Brian Wilson. D'oh!

I wonder how many times he's been asked that. I can't think many, especially how obscure and unreleased the material was that Al worked on.
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »

Hi CD!

Yeah, that tripped me out that Weird Al played on three Brian/SI tracks. "Rainbow Eyes" (the original recording) is actually one of my favorite BW pieces. It kinda gave me hope to hear that small segment during the "Brian's Song" 20/20 special that it wasn't all bad news.

Tante
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »

Hi CD!

Yeah, that tripped me out that Weird Al played on three Brian/SI tracks. "Rainbow Eyes" (the original recording) is actually one of my favorite BW pieces. It kinda gave me hope to hear that small segment during the "Brian's Song" 20/20 special that it wasn't all bad news.

Tante

For as famous and beloved as Weird Al is, it's a surprisingly little-known and little-discussed fact. I hope one day somebody gets to ask him about it, it would be worth it just to see the look on Al's  face to have somebody even know that he did those tracks - deep cuts!

Although I assume that any/all memories that Al might have about those tracks would probably be tainted by some weird Landy goings on.  

I have to wonder, was Al simply asked to perform on those tracks as a way to rope in some celebrity connection to the album? Was he a big fan of Brian Wilson? That certainly wouldn't be hard to believe. I just wonder how he wound up doing them, was he asked, and how did all that go down... I've never heard of any connection between him and Brian or Brian's people so I wonder how they did get connected.

Come to think of it, there needs to be a Weird Al Jardine collab.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:25:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »

OMG Ian!! This 1980s-1990s session info is a goldmine.

A couple of questions arise...did you happen to notice on the AFM sheets if Rob Wasserman played all of the bass on the "Brian" sessions? Sure sounds like him, and it is a HUGE part of the sound of the "Brian" stuff. Studio Ultimo seemed to be a common studio destination for BW during the 1987-1990 period. I have questions about some of the BW88 stuff I'll post in another thread (God forbid!)

With the session info from Ian and co., this only leaves "Love Ya" as a song specifically recorded for SI. When and where did this session take place? (as well as the many new overdubs for SI)

Wasserman's down for playing on pretty much all of the Sweet Insanity songs, with a lot of those AFM contracts just covering his participation. His instrument was a fretless electric upright bass with 6 strings. The few surviving AFMs are basically all overdubbing with a handful of musicians a while after the initial sessions took place, and if it's helpful, here's what they are (credit to Craig for digging them out):

June 23 (Take One) - Steve Hunter, Matt Bissonette, Gregg Bissonette, Brett Tuggle (the David Lee Roth Band session)
August 20 (Studio Ultimo) - Brian, Rob Wasserman / Tony Selvage (violin), Weird Al (accordion) [2 sessions]
August 21 (Studio Ultimo) - Brian, Rob Wasserman
August 22 (Studio Ultimo) - Brian, Rob Wasserman
August 23 (Studio Ultimo) - Brian, Rob Wasserman
September 4 (Brains & Genius) - Jon Clarke (oboe) / John Reynolds (horn) [2 sessions]

Credits for Country Feelin' exist in the liners for that Disney compilation CD (with Jim Cummings as the animals!). David Marks playing on a session was recounted in his book with Stebbins -- the song isn't named, but it's been thought to be Spirit. The guest vocalists on Spirit include Bob, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Paula Abdul and John Lodge, while Belinda Carlisle and Toni Childs' guest appearances may be accounted for by Make a Wish. Brazilian producer Liminha worked on Do You Have Any Regrets, presumably along with Paulinho DaCosta and Ricardo Silveira.

I think it's entirely possible that Love Ya and Country Feelin' were recorded with the rest of the songs but left off the original lineup. And Hotter, which appears to be a fresh version, not the one recorded for BW88.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 02:09:12 AM by WillJC » Logged
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2021, 08:03:41 AM »

Hi WillJC, thanks for the awesome contributions! Thanks to Craig too..

So this is starting to look pretty complete. Thanks for the conf on Rob W. I know the fretless bass isn't to everyone's taste, but I thought he killed it on this stuff.

So "Hotter" was re-recorded for SI. Was the original much different?

They brought in a Brazilian producer to help with "Regrets". Awesome!!

I forgot about the Disney cassette with "Country Feelin'". I have it somewhere but can't find it. I remember it has complete credits. I think it came out in Spring 1991, while SI was still being prepped.

I dunno, "Love Ya", "Hotter" and "Country Feelin'" just have a different vibe than the rest of the tracks. Different studio? Different musicians? No Landy? He was coming and going by 1991 I think.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »

Sketchy source, I know, but the Wouldn't It Be Nice book states that 15 original songs were recorded during the SI sessions (I forget the wording) before being pared down to an album, which neatly ties in with the original tracklist + other three. Country Feelin' features Wasserman too. Could've been later, of course. It's only a guess. Hotter '88 would've included sax, flute and violin/saw contributions per the AFM contracts, which the one we've all heard doesn't have. Plus, different sort of vibe. The Landy era is peppered with complete rerecords of the same songs. Another detail -- Save the Day was originally Is There a Chance (there's a version on David Foster's album) before a Landy/Morgan lyric overhaul.

There are also the covers of In My Life and Let It Be, which haven't circulated. Which... yeah, they recorded. Sounds surreal.
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »

Okay, "Is There A Chance" is one I forgot about. I heard it back in the day ('92 or so) and thought it was done after STD (oh that is a funny abbreviation!) I remember I liked it. That melody is classic no matter what you do with it.

Hey, does anyone think that the SI title came from the popular TV series "The Hogan Family"? It is sung by Roberta Flack and written by the team that wrote "Killing Me Softly".

It goes:
"Life is such a sweet insanity
seems the more you learn, the less you know..."

I noticed that Michael Bernard (BW's "programmer" as he was referrred to in an interview from the time) name is not on the AFM credits (or am I overlooking something?) I'll bet this guy has some stories to tell if he's still around.

Hey it's almost the 30th anniversary of the horrendous book tour. Did anyone think at that time that BW would still be alive, let alone kicking ass on the level he has the last 30 years?? Sorry if I sound like an awful Motley Crue song right now but it is pretty amazing. Hooray for Brian!!

I'm thinking back to that Today show appearance where they smeared BW with pancake makeup and sent him out there as stoned as can be. "The vocals are as good as John Lennon, I'm telling you that" Man he was selling this SI stuff!!

Anyway, signing off for now..."Ah-ooooou"

Tante

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2021, 09:43:27 PM »

Hi CD!

Tante

For as famous and beloved as Weird Al is, it's a surprisingly little-known and little-discussed fact. I hope one day somebody gets to ask him about it, it would be worth it just to see the look on Al's  face to have somebody even know that he did those tracks - deep cuts!

Although I assume that any/all memories that Al might have about those tracks would probably be tainted by some weird Landy goings on.  

I have to wonder, was Al simply asked to perform on those tracks as a way to rope in some celebrity connection to the album? Was he a big fan of Brian Wilson? That certainly wouldn't be hard to believe. I just wonder how he wound up doing them, was he asked, and how did all that go down... I've never heard of any connection between him and Brian or Brian's people so I wonder how they did get connected.

Come to think of it, there needs to be a Weird Al Jardine collab.
I'm guessing you never heard his song Pancreas. Completely Smile era sound/tribute. I say Wierd Al is a genius.
Al himself would probably say "I'm just a hard working guy".
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 02:28:48 AM »

Hi Ian! Thank you so much, don't know how I missed that. I could have really used this info (not that Wiki would have accepted it anyway)

Bellagio 10452 is managed by a published author who has worked closely with the BBs, which meets enough checkmarks for it to be accepted on Wikipedia
Tante
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »

Hi Terrei, didn't mean the Bellagio info, but the entire article I wrote. Poorly worded I know.

WillJC: Wow, complete BW Beatles covers recorded during the Landy era. I remember around 1994 BW was part of a special discussing Sgt. Pepper. He played segments of some of the songs (She's Leaving Home, With A Little Help, Day In The Life) and he sounded good on them, like he had been practicing the songs. I wonder if he was doing this regularly with a bunch of Beatles songs?

So Rob W. is on Country Feelin' too. Harder to hear with all the overdubs, plus the 1991 mixes seem to de-emphasize the bass. I like my Rob W. good and loud!

Ah-ooooou, Tante
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx