gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:54:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 1, 1971 Footage  (Read 2153 times)
DSalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2021, 07:20:50 PM »

Interesting footage that I've never seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2zFZlyjnBw
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:30:20 AM »

Proof that the hippies really DID dig the Boys again by this time, after having banished them to the "square, has-beens" wasteland for a good four years or so. I think the beards helped!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »

Proof that the hippies really DID dig the Boys again by this time, after having banished them to the "square, has-beens" wasteland for a good four years or so. I think the beards helped!

It's very interesting trying to wrap my head around watching this. The footage is phenomenal and I'm so glad it exists.

C-man, I'd say your statement is only partly right! Smiley I think a good amount of hippies were still trying their best to give the band the cold shoulder at this time. But the camera can see it changing a bit in front of us, too. It's a transitional period that got documented.

Watching the crowd react to the band is also really a trip, it almost seems like more members of the crowd "want" to dance around and enjoy the music, but perhaps some of them think they are too cool for school and wind up looking a bit standoffish.

But nevertheless some other people are dancing (it would appear to be a relatively small amount of the crowd), and that almost gives "permission" for other hipsters in the crowd to start bopping their heads and outwardly enjoy the music as well.

Around this time period, I think some young people were second-guessing what was socially acceptable to like and enjoy. I mean, I'm sure people had their tastes legitimately change anyway, and some people just didn't really dig The BBs anymore...but there was also a secondary matter of how much some people were willing to outwardly show they were enjoying music (being performed by musicians who for the last several years had largely been thought of by the hipster elite as being "squares") in the event that showing enjoyment would cause some sort of social repercussions in their elite social group.

From a social perspective and trying to understand "The BBs are unhip and very uncool" wilderness years mentality, and how that perception wound up changing and turning around, this is truly an invaluable historical document. It's almost like you can begin to see the cracks in that perception here. Also this is particularly interesting because this wasn't a "Beach Boys show", it was a festival with multiple bands, so you're seeing the reaction of many people who are just seeing the band inadvertently, who likely didn't go there for the specific reason to see The BBs play.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:46:57 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »

I posted this a while back in the media-section, while I was looking for more on the May Day show.

I saw some recollections online about people who went there. The Boys seemed to have made an impression, even though they weren't what the people came out for in the first place.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:27 AM »

Jack Rieley was right!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »

The Beach Boys are Freeks now!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 07:01:11 AM »

My earliest memories of The Beach Boys are hearing my sister (ten years older than me) spinning her 45 of "California Girls" and "Let Him Run Wild" on one of those cheap portable record players in our garage. My next memory of The Beach Boys was seeing them on TV a few years later, with my sister and our mom (had to be the 1971 "Good Vibrations From Central Park" special aired a few months after this May Day event). I recall my sister saying, "Remember when The Beach Boys were clean-cut and wore white tennis shoes? Now they're hippies!"  Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 07:30:42 AM »

Seeing a group of hippies with their arms draped over each others' shoulders, kick-dancing chorus-line style to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" at an anti-war rally is so cool...and reminds me of how, twenty years later, I was close to the stage for a Beach Boys show at a state fair, and saw a group of 16-year old or so girls doing the exact same thing to the same song, speaks volumes of the timelessness and universal appeal of this music...! Smiley
Jim Curtis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 06:10:34 AM »

Wow…I think what makes this special is seeing Dennis on drums right before his hand incident.  I was lucky to see them play in Central Park that same year which was a PBS special and videos of the 30 minute PBS special are available.  I was 13 and it was my first concert.  I have listened to them everyday since and I’m now 63.  It would be great to see this concert in full.  I’m sure professional video exists as displayed here.  Although I was blown away at Central Park, I always thought having Dennis on the drums gave the band completeness.  This video would of the May 1 concert would fulfill my wildest dreams.  I would love to show my kids what I experienced in 1971 so they could understand my obsession.  They only know the BB on video from later concert videos and mtv of Kokomo.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx