gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:05:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian music this Friday ?  (Read 26070 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2021, 05:47:05 AM »

Considering his “fans” are so freakin toxic I’m glad they don’t really take any seeming interest in our ideas. I mean, half the “fans” think that Brian is forced at gunpoint by Melinda to tour and record music. Other fans complain that Brian’s music is over produced, his vocals are bad, his vocals are too autotuned. I hope they have completely tuned us out regarding listening to any feedback or ideas. However, I will always wish that they do a radio concept album with a DJ, radio ads, and full of covers of classic rock songs. Pleasure Island.

I’m glad they decided to do their own thing. And considering this could have been an album of nothing but hits, but they decided to throw on some fairytale music and a SMiLE medley, this is such an amazing gift to us.

We as fans probably think too deeply about these things.  Brian and the other Beach Boys have put out music we either have liked or disliked.  It might be a tad unfair to suggest anyone frowning at this new release are automatically acting as toxic fans (although I'm fully aware they exist).  I admit that I haven't liked every album Brian has put out.  I honestly never really got a whole lot out of the Gershwin album save for a few songs, and to this day I don't think I've ever listened to his Disney album in full.  But on the other hand I still enjoy listening to No Pier Pressure and occasionally still play some of his other solo albums.  I don't think it's realistic that we warmly embrace everything an artist offers us.

As far as this piano solo album goes I am currently completely indifferent towards it.  It might prove to be something special or it might barely get one listen from me and then I'll completely forget about it.

On a side note, didn't Brian recently record a brand new song to appear in his documentary?  When do you suppose we'll get to hear that...?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2021, 07:29:20 AM »

I have listened to GOK several times, and here is my expert opinion:

1. The piano playing is obviously autotuned. If you listen to the notes as they fade away it is clear that someone--likely Melinda--is pushing the autotune button all the way to 11.
2. It is obvious that Brian is not playing at all, despite his name being on the album. I have heard Brian play many times on YouTube, and based on the bending of the notes and the fingering, it is clearly not Brian. Also, many insiders who I cannot name publicly have told me that Brian is not playing on the album. As a matter of fact, Brian was forced years ago by Melinda to sell all his pianos, and all he has now is a toy Casio that he is only allowed to play in the bathroom.
3. As to the album cover, Brian looks like some old man in this seventies. What were they thinking in using this photo? Also, he is smiling, and it is obvious that he was forced to smile, since Brian never smiles voluntarily.
4. It is obvious that the genesis of this record is the fact that Brian--as well as his brothers--took drugs.
5. The version of GOK is very melancholy, and lacks the positivity that made the BB's popular in the first place.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »

I have listened to GOK several times, and here is my expert opinion:

1. The piano playing is obviously autotuned. If you listen to the notes as they fade away it is clear that someone--likely Melinda--is pushing the autotune button all the way to 11.
2. It is obvious that Brian is not playing at all, despite his name being on the album. I have heard Brian play many times on YouTube, and based on the bending of the notes and the fingering, it is clearly not Brian. Also, many insiders who I cannot name publicly have told me that Brian is not playing on the album. As a matter of fact, Brian was forced years ago by Melinda to sell all his pianos, and all he has now is a toy Casio that he is only allowed to play in the bathroom.
3. As to the album cover, Brian looks like some old man in this seventies. What were they thinking in using this photo? Also, he is smiling, and it is obvious that he was forced to smile, since Brian never smiles voluntarily.
4. It is obvious that the genesis of this record is the fact that Brian--as well as his brothers--took drugs.
5. The version of GOK is very melancholy, and lacks the positivity that made the BB's popular in the first place.

You have just won the award for post of the month! I haven't given one out in a long time, but this commentary was so on-point and all-inclusive it had to be done. Enjoy your well-deserved statue!

PS...The phrase "It's All About The Music" will be engraved along the base of this statue as well.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »

Considering his “fans” are so freakin toxic I’m glad they don’t really take any seeming interest in our ideas. I mean, half the “fans” think that Brian is forced at gunpoint by Melinda to tour and record music. Other fans complain that Brian’s music is over produced, his vocals are bad, his vocals are too autotuned. I hope they have completely tuned us out regarding listening to any feedback or ideas. However, I will always wish that they do a radio concept album with a DJ, radio ads, and full of covers of classic rock songs. Pleasure Island.

I’m glad they decided to do their own thing. And considering this could have been an album of nothing but hits, but they decided to throw on some fairytale music and a SMiLE medley, this is such an amazing gift to us.

We as fans probably think too deeply about these things.  Brian and the other Beach Boys have put out music we either have liked or disliked.  It might be a tad unfair to suggest anyone frowning at this new release are automatically acting as toxic fans (although I'm fully aware they exist).  I admit that I haven't liked every album Brian has put out.  I honestly never really got a whole lot out of the Gershwin album save for a few songs, and to this day I don't think I've ever listened to his Disney album in full.  But on the other hand I still enjoy listening to No Pier Pressure and occasionally still play some of his other solo albums.  I don't think it's realistic that we warmly embrace everything an artist offers us.

As far as this piano solo album goes I am currently completely indifferent towards it.  It might prove to be something special or it might barely get one listen from me and then I'll completely forget about it.

On a side note, didn't Brian recently record a brand new song to appear in his documentary?  When do you suppose we'll get to hear that...?

I do think to Rab's points that there is a certain bizarre knee-jerk negativity that comes out nearly every time a new Brian Wilson project is announced, it's been that way for almost 20 years, and the increase in this kind of thing seemed to parallel the rise of the internet music communities discussing Brian and the band that went beyond a few chatroom or mailing list fans with AOL dial-up and into a much more extensive online presence.

Remember Brian's Christmas album? I could be wrong but I think that was the first time I really saw the reactions that were dead-set against the project as soon as it got announced, with the common thread being the fans thinking Brian should be doing something else instead, before hearing anything from the album itself. Then there were the inevitable conspiracy theory posts, falling in line with all those saying Brian was "forced" to do something he didn't want to do, that his "handlers" or "wife and managers" were working their puppet strings on him, or how his involvement in the actual projects was in name only, and he was a passenger along for the ride. Or even more ridiculous, that Brian was doing this because he needed the money. News flash: He doesn't need the money.

So where did this bullshit come from, and why? For fans who have followed this for the past two decades some lines could be drawn, and maybe there is more to it, but it's crazy no matter what or who is behind this, if anyone...or if some of the nonsense just stuck after other fans heard it so often that it became a knee-jerk reaction. When you have people claiming "insider" status spreading gossip and rumors for years on boards like this and other outlets, things which are patently false and even slanderous no less, unfortunately some of it will stick and be carried forward. Combine that with attitudes of "I know what the truth is and nothing will convince me otherwise!", whether their version of the "truth" is true or false, it creates this toxic atmosphere that continues to show up whenever a new project is announced.

And then the inevitable straw man arguments show up as well, where others start defending and arguing the right to say this or that or even suggest opinions are being censored. But that's not what's happening or what happened previously. I think fans have the right to voice opinions, but perhaps I differ in saying those opinions should be based on something factual or at least relevant to the discussion. This crap about Brian not being involved or being a puppet of his management (or whatever else) is one example where I do think it veers into that conspiracy theory territory, and it's coming more from old personal grudges, false rumors, or just plain old ignorance which may not be the person's fault if they've been fed lies and innuendo for years.

Again this is just personal opinion, but to take the example of this latest album release announcement, if people are saying it's not Brian playing piano and therefore they don't like it, that's not based on fact. If people are saying it's not what Brian wants to do and he's being forced to do this, therefore they don't like it, that's not based on fact. If people are saying they don't like it because it's not what they think Brian should be doing and therefore won't buy it, that's more valid but still a little closed-minded considering only ONE TRACK has come out as a preview. Maybe there would be less debate and tension within the fan base if people would at least listen first before writing it off entirely, or finding reasons why other fans should not get excited.

And there's the difference: The opinions offered prior to hearing a work or project, and those after hearing it. I think the latter would, logically, be more accepted and valid. Add in opinions based on fact versus those based on false info or innuendo/rumor/heresay, where the former would logically carry more weight. Plug in all the comments we saw about Brian "not playing" on this new project based on the original preview clip lasting less than 10 seconds on Instagram to see how that one fits with basic logic.  And there is the divide, and perhaps the toxicity as well.

For me the best advice is if you're not into it, don't buy it. If you don't like the idea of Brian Wilson playing piano, don't buy it. If you listen to something and don't dig it, that's fine to express that opinion, but at least do so after hearing it and don't spout a bunch of false nonsense to explain to other fans why the project is no good. And maybe throwing water on the campfire when other campers are gathered around and it's just starting to properly light up isn't the best way to go.

Just spouting random stuff as always.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2021, 10:11:49 AM »

I don’t think I said that anyone disliking this album is toxic (or even suggested it), I was just pointing out that many of the fans are toxic, and because of that I kinda like that the BW camp doesn’t listen to any fan critiques or ideas.

I’ve got nothing against people disliking the idea of this album, I have something against people immediately speculating that Brian didn’t play on this album, or that it doesn’t even sound like Brian (whatever the heck that means, as I doubt these people have sat around with Brian every time he plays the piano). It’s that kinda of garbage that made me think for years as a young fan that Brian was a kind of Uncle Bernie who was being propped up by Melinda. I’ve read and heard so many lies that are based on this idea that Brian can’t do anything for himself, and it’s speculation like this that keeps feeding these lies. It’s disgraceful.

And to add to Guitarfool’s response, I also want to point out that elsewhere it is being asked why is it a problem to criticize Brian, but it’s encouraged to criticize Mike? I will answer that by saying that Mike’s solo career is most always criticized based off of his own standards (he critiqued Brian for possibly using auto tune on NPP, then Mike spent the next 5 years creating music that puts T-Pain to shame). Whereas there seems to be a vast supply of “fans” who go straight at Brian’s dignity when it comes to his solo output (see guitarfools examples above). Brian literally has schizo-affective disorder and is a manic depressive yet people take time out of their day to publicly rip his dignity and his family to shreds whenever he steps out with new music…think about that.

And as for the Long Promised Road documentary music, I hope we get to hear that stuff soon! Apparently they are great sounding tracks. If this documentary and soundtrack take any longer to come out, the thing is going to start getting a reputation like SMiLE Grin

@relx, agreed with the post of the month award LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2021, 03:55:21 PM »

My guess is that this wasn't a projected album as such but probably grew out of Brian just spending some time during the pandemia. Maybe he showed his kids how to play some of his songs and it went from there.

It looks like one of the guys that did the Royal Philharmonic albums is on this new Brian album too, and it's coming out through Decca UK, so I'm curious if that guy pitched the album to Brian's camp rather than it springing up randomly as a project.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2021, 03:59:11 PM »

Let's say this is Brian's McCartney III.

Actually, that would be an interesting compare and contrast exercise.

It would be hard to compare. McCartney III is an album of songs with full instrumentation, with vocals, and is all original songs.

The closest comparison to McCartney would be, I guess, the unreleased "The Backyard" project from the 70s where he ran through stuff on acoustic. I guess a slight comparison could come with something like McCartney's "Unplugged".

Actually, the best comparison would probably be to McCartney's 1998 "Working Classical" album, with is a few orchestra pieces and then remakes of his old songs in chamber/quartet arrangements.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2021, 10:38:30 PM »

I would say the most valid criticism of this album is that it's Brian revisiting the classics one more time. McCartney still comes up with new material every couple of years (you can debate whether that material is any good or not). Brian hasn't exactly been prolific in that dept. since going solo.
Mike Love took many years to finally release an album or original material - Unleash the Love; then quickly followed it with two albums of covers/remakes.
Al Jardine took decades to finally put out a solo album; and when he did - surprise, surprise...yep. Remakes and covers among the few new original songs.
Now if all three had been working together, they might have had enough material between them to come out with a new album every couple of years.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2021, 03:41:23 AM »

I would say the most valid criticism of this album is that it's Brian revisiting the classics one more time. McCartney still comes up with new material every couple of years (you can debate whether that material is any good or not). Brian hasn't exactly been prolific in that dept. since going solo.
Mike Love took many years to finally release an album or original material - Unleash the Love; then quickly followed it with two albums of covers/remakes.
Al Jardine took decades to finally put out a solo album; and when he did - surprise, surprise...yep. Remakes and covers among the few new original songs.
Now if all three had been working together, they might have had enough material between them to come out with a new album every couple of years.

I see what you’re saying about revisiting the same old material, but I will say that at least Brian isn’t doing straight up sound-for-sound copies of the classics. And, 7 out of the 15 songs are probably not even recognizable to your average-joe fan, so I’m very thankful that it’s not a Sounds of Summer track list. I mean how cool is it that we get to hear Brian Wilson noodle around with I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times and the fairytale music?

But I see what you’re saying. I would love to see Brian come out with some new material. Run James Run was pretty darn cool, and I can’t remember if Brian has an original/new song coming out with the Long Promised Road doc or if those are all covers. Hopefully this album does well enough that it inspires Brian to record some new material. But if not, I’m still grateful and thankful for this offering.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2021, 04:15:39 AM »

If Brian is playing, I'm buying.

I'd love to hear an album of Brian playing his songs on piano.

I really hope there is a little video somewhere of the recording!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2021, 10:46:17 AM »

This is a sad debacle

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »

This is a sad debacle

What is? Brian recording this, or people’s reaction to it?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2021, 03:38:01 PM »

I think it’s pretty clear that Brian hasn’t been writing for some time. It’s okay. He’s 79. If he wants to stay in the game by recording something, this seems decent enough. I’ve heard pre-pandemic reports from the studio, and I think it’s safe to say he’s not interested in producing band sessions right now.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »

I don’t think I said that anyone disliking this album is toxic (or even suggested it), I was just pointing out that many of the fans are toxic, and because of that I kinda like that the BW camp doesn’t listen to any fan critiques or ideas.

I’ve got nothing against people disliking the idea of this album, I have something against people immediately speculating that Brian didn’t play on this album, or that it doesn’t even sound like Brian (whatever the heck that means, as I doubt these people have sat around with Brian every time he plays the piano). It’s that kinda of garbage that made me think for years as a young fan that Brian was a kind of Uncle Bernie who was being propped up by Melinda. I’ve read and heard so many lies that are based on this idea that Brian can’t do anything for himself, and it’s speculation like this that keeps feeding these lies. It’s disgraceful.

And to add to Guitarfool’s response, I also want to point out that elsewhere it is being asked why is it a problem to criticize Brian, but it’s encouraged to criticize Mike? I will answer that by saying that Mike’s solo career is most always criticized based off of his own standards (he critiqued Brian for possibly using auto tune on NPP, then Mike spent the next 5 years creating music that puts T-Pain to shame). Whereas there seems to be a vast supply of “fans” who go straight at Brian’s dignity when it comes to his solo output (see guitarfools examples above). Brian literally has schizo-affective disorder and is a manic depressive yet people take time out of their day to publicly rip his dignity and his family to shreds whenever he steps out with new music…think about that.

And as for the Long Promised Road documentary music, I hope we get to hear that stuff soon! Apparently they are great sounding tracks. If this documentary and soundtrack take any longer to come out, the thing is going to start getting a reputation like SMiLE Grin

@relx, agreed with the post of the month award LOL

Understood and I wasn't really trying to call you out for anything, Rab.  I was more generalizing the argument I've been hearing (not from you) by some suggesting we should be happy with anything Brian or his bandmates put out unconditionally.  And if we offer even the slightest bit of dissent we're acting toxic.  That just seems silly to me. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2021, 11:03:34 AM »

Understood and I wasn't really trying to call you out for anything, Rab.  I was more generalizing the argument I've been hearing (not from you) by some suggesting we should be happy with anything Brian or his bandmates put out unconditionally.  And if we offer even the slightest bit of dissent we're acting toxic.  That just seems silly to me. 

We're on the same page. The majority of my post was aimed at those fueling the negativity. I have admittedly been overzealous in defending Brian and his work over the years - and I think it's because I've seen the pendulum swing so far in the negative direction that I tried really hard to get people to see the positive in Brian's music. That being said, when people say they hate Imagination's production, I get it. His solo career hasn't been perfect, but it also hasn't been the pits like some people like to suggest.

You had mentioned not listening to the entirety of the Disney album. Be sure to check out 'Baby Mine', 'Stay Awake', and his lead vocal on 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' - they are really stellar. Vocally, I think that Gershwin and Disney were the pinnacle of Brian's solo career as far as his singing goes.

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »

WIBN:

https://youtu.be/tKa8LlvOY7Q
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2021, 06:57:18 AM »

My number 1 favorite song of all time! Fantastic. It really does remind me of the Gershwin "Piano Rolls" project.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2021, 12:11:55 PM »

thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2021, 01:29:10 PM »

When I brought McCartney  into this, I was really getting at the fact that both are "long past their prime" artists doing what they do "by themselves" in the studio without outside influence, control, help, guidance.

Some of that might be true in both cases, some a bit of a stretch, and some plainly not true.

I think I will really enjoy this new outing from Bri. Really looking forward to sketches of SMiLE track, but my desire for a rehash is far outstripped by my want of that one new Brian original on the doco soundtrack.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2021, 02:28:12 PM »

I really enjoyed that.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »

YES!!! After the classics, let's have Volume 2, with (among others) a selection of tunes from his adventures in San Diego...the "Deep Cut" edition.  Cool Guy

Won't be complete, of course, without a piano demo version of "Beatrice From Baltimore"...

Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »

Brian's Twitter account posted this picture today:

Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »

Also saw this picture at Amazon:

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate