gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:40:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian music this Friday ?  (Read 26065 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2021, 06:16:46 PM »

They are teasing something on Instagram

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:04:49 PM »

Yes, a collection of piano instrumentals of Beach Boys songs by Brian. It’s called “At My Piano.” Already released in Japan.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 08:13:25 PM »

God Only Knows on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/track/0uASyQM62OGfteRsM5bk5s?si=df66ca700ac34aed

Produced by Brian, Darian and Nick Patrick, the guy who produced that thing of the Beach Boys backed by the RPO.

I'm not impressed at all. Better go back to Dylan's latest Bootleg Series, another Friday release.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8qhfG5iXIc

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:39:54 PM »

I'd be very surprised if this is actually Brian playing, it sounds nothing like his piano style (he virtually never does LH chords RH melody like this, he prefers to just bash out chords with some bass movement). Even the soft legato feel just doesn't sound like Brian to me at all - he's not that kind of pianist.

If it is Brian then it's done with layers of overdubbing imo.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 08:44:02 PM »

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/cd-wilson-brian-at-my-piano-cd

Note the ‘typo’ (I presume) for Mt Vernon

CD

1. God Only Knows
2. In My Room
3. Dont Worry Baby
4. California Girls
5. The Warmth of the Sun
6. Wouldnt it be Nice
7. You Still Believe in Me
8. I Just Wasnt Made for these Times
9. Sketches of Smile: Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains/Wonderful/Surfs Up
10. Surfs Up
11. Friends
12. Till I Die
13. Love and Mercy
14. Mt Vernon Farewell
15. Good Vibrations

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 08:47:01 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »

Almost certainly Brian playing, likely with melody overdubbed (or perhaps done by Darian sitting alongside him at the piano?). He's done the two-piano thing before, back on the "Songs Without Words" release of "This Isn't Love."

(You can listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGWHBQhT9Q)

This GOK is simple and a bit wonky technically, which points to the big man himself on the keys. I also suspect it was recorded at home, or close to.

Really exciting, and precisely what a lot of folks on this board have suggested for ages.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 09:49:31 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 10:06:20 PM »

Oh man. This sounds absolutely wonderful (the idea for this album). And so does the recording of "God Only Knows" as well.

At My Piano? Bring it on. Sure, I'd love to hear a new vocal album from Brian with Al and Blondie, but I really like this idea and can't wait to hear the album!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »

Almost certainly Brian playing, likely with melody overdubbed (or perhaps done by Darian sitting alongside him at the piano?). He's done the two-piano thing before, back on the "Songs Without Words" release of "This Isn't Love."

This GOK is simple and a bit wonky technically, which points to the big man himself on the keys. I also suspect it was recorded at home, or close to.

Really exciting, and precisely what a lot of folks on this board have suggested for ages.

Here here!

It sounds like Brian to me, and credits state it is him. Now I wouldn’t be surprised if his playing is quantized but then again…that’s recording these days. Been going on for years. Hell, I do on my playing. I like this version of GOK. Others may not, but that’s on them. My ears work. Not much else of me does these days but those are still good for now lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 02:20:27 AM »

It shocks me to read what some so called fans (once again) say about this, a new release, not necessarily here but for example on reddit. Stating to know that it's not Brian and how bad he looks in the photo. Are we living in the same universe here? He looks great on the photo, and if that's a cover of the album, it's very classy.

As stated above, the playing, especially chords, sound very Brian to me. Most likely quantized, and overdubbed, but those are  basic production techniques used for like decades now. There's nowhere a text stating this is supposed to be live!

The little clip on Brian's IG of him playing GOK some time ago is maybe for a cover shoot / music video coming out soon!

Now I only hope for a acoustic type of album like this with minimal vocals, call Blondie and Al to Brian's house and plug in a few mics in the style of Harry Dean Stanton's Partly Fiction.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:22:52 AM by RiC » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 05:40:33 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to this album. Especially the vinyl, if for no other reason the cover! But yeah...this is....really getting my interest piqued.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
jeffcannell
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 05:59:38 AM »

I’m thinking of this as:

Beach Boys Party (of one)
(Partying introvert style”

I’m also hoping he releases a double album of only playing shortening bread!
jeffcannell
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 06:08:49 AM »

Beach Boys Party (of one)
(Partying introvert style”

I’m also hoping he releases a double album of only playing shortening bread!.

Also… I’d love for him to do an old man Brian at the piano version of the Playback Comp…
Maybe with Al, Darian, his daughters, joining in around the piano…
Not over produced, not overdubbed…
Maybe redo Imagination snd Lay Down Burden.
Maybe a Cover of Be My Baby,This Could Be the Night.
In the Dpirit of the Don Was Doc, but not flick.
Set up his rom yo record do whenever inspiration hits he can go do it.
Especially if Friends are visiting.

My .02
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 06:18:12 AM »

No doubt people are going to hate on this. They hate it when Brian does full fledged productions so why wouldn’t they hate on Brian doing a simple piano album? The man can’t get a break from some people. I mean, I totally get that this isn’t everyone’s taste in music, but for people to take time out of their day to publicly claim that Brian didn’t do this or he looks bad in the photo? Sad.

I love this so much. I mean I really love this. That outro on GOK!!!

I’ve been waiting for something like this from Brian since I became a fan - just Brian at the piano (with a little help from his friends).

SKETCHES OF SMILE !!!! Guys we are in for a treat with this. I know I’m probably over-excited about this, but I never thought we’d see anything like this album - I didn’t even think Brian would put out another album.

Thanks to everyone who got this going, what a treat for us fans. An absolute treat!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 07:26:04 AM »

I can get piano-only versions of all of those songs for free on Youtube, played by random people, some of whom are better piano players than Brian. I can't get excited over hearing again those songs I've known by heart for decades, just because they're performed on the piano by their composer. I's really bottom-of-the-barrel, in terms of creativity.
Bob has a Job
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »

I think what people asked for was Brian playing *and singing*. I'm fine with it not being live/getting some studio polish but I want it to be recognizably Brian. If I know for sure that it's him playing on these recordings, that does make it somewhat more appealing, but I'd still rather get vocal versions. Has it been confirmed that the whole thing is instrumental like this?

Also, BTW, I don't get why people are dunking on that cover photo either. What a great picture. He's a happy old man... how far he has come.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »

I can get piano-only versions of all of those songs for free on Youtube, played by random people, some of whom are better piano players than Brian. I can't get excited over hearing again those songs I've known by heart for decades, just because they're performed on the piano by their composer. I's really bottom-of-the-barrel, in terms of creativity.

Sheesh, don’t hold back! I get it’s not everybody’s bag but think you’re missing the point somewhat if you’d rather hear other people doing piano versions on YT because they can play better!!

For me it was a pleasant surprise to read about this upcoming release and wasn’t disappointed listening to the GOK teaser. Moved me as only BW can. Have always loved Brian’s unpolished piano demos and a dedicated recording like this could be great. Look forward to hearing the rest, especially the smile medley.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 08:57:47 AM »

The year is 1814 and, hypothetically, Beethoven is still performing, and puts on a note-for-note piano concert of his 7th symphony. Fans complain that he isn’t doing anything original. Meanwhile, hundreds of years later, most of us would think it would be an honor to hear such a performance from the composer himself…but this is 20/20 hindsight.

I think many people get so caught up in the current moment, so caught up in dreaming of what “could be” instead of being thankful for what actually is…I think most of us come around to the latter point of view when there is no longer a possibility of what “could be”. As in, one day Brian will pass on from this world, and we will absolutely be thankful for the music he left for us, even a handful of piano covers that he took the time to record.

From a technical standpoint, perhaps these covers won’t be as good as some random YouTuber’s covers. Maybe recording a bunch of hits isn’t the most creatively original idea. But perhaps there is more to these songs than being technically perfect, or being 100% original: When I listen to ‘In My Room’ I don’t just think “what a cool original song about a kid in his room” - I instead think about a young Brian himself trying to articulate his thoughts about his safe haven. Or when I listen to ‘Til I Die’ I’m not just thinking about a literal cork on the ocean, I’m thinking of a mentally ravaged Brian being so consumed with depression that he wrote such a tragically beautiful song.

My point being, there is a person behind all of this music. And that person has a crazy incredible story that is all wrapped up in the music he has put out…including an album of piano covers. So when I listen to this piano version of GOK I’m picturing Brian playing the keys on that piano, putting effort into recording one of the last albums he may ever release. And the feeling you get when you think that way is nothing you could feel listening to a random YouTube cover.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 09:03:12 AM »

Was very pleasantly surprised listening to God Only Knows. Actually, it was incredibly moving.... if the rest of the album turns out as good and this turned out to be Brian's final album, I must say it would make for an incredibly poignant swan song
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 09:16:59 AM »

Listening to God Only Knows. It's achingly lovely. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album. IMO it really has Brian's 'feel' to it, and I love that.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »

I'm very, very excited too...but, I'm biased because any time Brian and Darian work together on music, it's something special. I loved God Only Knows so far, the piano texture allows those rich chord voicings and changes, and that beautiful melody, to breathe and be heard on their own merits without anything else on top. It gets to the heart of the music and how it was constructed, and played by the composer.

Just wanted to point out a precedent and a parallel between Brian Wilson and George Gershwin. It was a project called "Gershwin Plays Gershwin: The Piano Rolls". I bought the album when it came out, and it's a fascinating listen. You get to hear one of the key pieces of musical inspiration in Brian's life, "Rhapsody In Blue", as imagined and played/arranged by its composer Gershwin in the form of a piano roll. So it's a solo piano, more or less, with "overdubs" as the old piano roll technology allowed the player to stack part after part onto the roll via the punch-out holes which the player piano would read mechanically. This was Gershwin's interpretation of his tune minus the orchestration, and Rhapsody on that set is worth the price of the album alone. Absolutely beautiful, and you get to hear that music "played" by its composer.

The Gershwin Piano Rolls album was very well received, and you had fans and musicologists excited across the board to hear what are now classic songs as played and imagined by their composer, and done so on primitive media from the teens and 20's that allowed the paper rolls to be "played" and imported onto modern equipment and a state of the art grand piano which was then recorded. I think the biggest draw was being able to hear how Gershwin himself played and heard his own songs on the piano, minus the familiar arrangements and orchestrations that most listeners would recognize.

For those who don't know about the Gershwin project, here's more info: http://albumlinernotes.com/The_Piano_Rolls.html

So in this case of Brian's piano recordings, it's conceptually even better than the Gershwin project: It's not a piano roll fed into a player piano, it's his own hands playing his compositions.

Just some perspective and precedent to consider.  

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »

I missed this beautiful quote from the promo email:

“We had an upright piano in our living room and from the time I was 12 years old I played it each and every day. I never had a lesson, I was completely self-taught. I can’t express how much the piano has played such an important part in my life. It as bought me comfort, joy and security. It has fueled my creativity as well as my competitive nature.

I play it when I’m happy or feeling sad. I love playing for people and I love playing alone when no one is listening.

Honestly, the piano and the music I create on it has probably saved my life.”

– Brian Wilson

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »

My highest hope for this is I can see Brian doing something cool arrangement or presentation wise with the deeper cuts included in the tracklist.

To be more "demanding", I would have preferred similar but with vocals (yes that would significantly change the concept). Even a few of the guys e.g. Brian, Al, Matt, Darian and someone on bass duties. Mike Love perhaps ha...obviously a huge can of worms. Brian can do decent bass, but I prefer him at least in the middle of the range.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »

I, for one, am excited about this album and very much looking forward to buying it.
Do I believe that it's Brian really playing?  Yes, I am willing to believe that.  There's almost certainly quite a bit of overdubbing and splicing various takes, etc., but so what?

Years ago I commented on Brian "fake playing" his keyboard at his shows and wondered aloud if he could still play.  The late great Bob Hanes assured me that Brian plays beautifully when he plays alone and is not under pressure.  Bob had personally witnessed Brian playing many times.

Two years ago, I went to David Leaf's fundraiser at UCLA music school.  They had a piano, and David invited Brian to play Heroes & Villains or Surf's Up, but Brian was reluctant.  He played a few seconds of H&V and then stopped.  And yet a year later, there he is on video at his house banging out GOK or Do it Again very capably. I guess my point is that Bob Hanes was right.  Brian plays very beautifully when he's relaxed.  If it's a pressure situation where he isn't comfortable, then it's not his thing.

Bob has a Job
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »

The year is 1814 and, hypothetically, Beethoven is still performing, and puts on a note-for-note piano concert of his 7th symphony. Fans complain that he isn’t doing anything original. Meanwhile, hundreds of years later, most of us would think it would be an honor to hear such a performance from the composer himself…but this is 20/20 hindsight.

I think many people get so caught up in the current moment, so caught up in dreaming of what “could be” instead of being thankful for what actually is…I think most of us come around to the latter point of view when there is no longer a possibility of what “could be”. As in, one day Brian will pass on from this world, and we will absolutely be thankful for the music he left for us, even a handful of piano covers that he took the time to record.

From a technical standpoint, perhaps these covers won’t be as good as some random YouTuber’s covers. Maybe recording a bunch of hits isn’t the most creatively original idea. But perhaps there is more to these songs than being technically perfect, or being 100% original: When I listen to ‘In My Room’ I don’t just think “what a cool original song about a kid in his room” - I instead think about a young Brian himself trying to articulate his thoughts about his safe haven. Or when I listen to ‘Til I Die’ I’m not just thinking about a literal cork on the ocean, I’m thinking of a mentally ravaged Brian being so consumed with depression that he wrote such a tragically beautiful song.

My point being, there is a person behind all of this music. And that person has a crazy incredible story that is all wrapped up in the music he has put out…including an album of piano covers. So when I listen to this piano version of GOK I’m picturing Brian playing the keys on that piano, putting effort into recording one of the last albums he may ever release. And the feeling you get when you think that way is nothing you could feel listening to a random YouTube cover.

I mostly agree with you, but the Beethoven comparison falls flat because the 7th symphony is already instrumental. This is a reimagining away from the "plonk plonk plonk" in the right hand/melodic, moving bass in the left with Brian's vocals as the cherry on top. Not to say that that doesn't have value at all, but again, if you'd asked me "what would be your ideal Brian Wilson 2021 remake of old songs?", it'd be "just Brian, at the piano, doing his classic thing and singing his songs".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx