gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:45:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Ch 105 Sirius XM Good Vibrations  (Read 2220 times)
kenh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2021, 02:12:50 PM »

Any chance this will come back sooner than next summer ??

Ken H
Houston, TX USA
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 03:28:21 PM »

Any chance this will come back sooner than next summer ??

I dunno, it took three years for them to bring it back this year after 2018.

Also, as I recall, back in 2018 they extended the channel's run for another month or two past the original end date, whereas this year they stopped cold at the end of August.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:37:58 PM »

Judging from past incarnations -- only if they have something they're trying to sell.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
kenh
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:39 AM »

I am hoping that the new efforts by Azoff's team will result in at least every summer !!

Ken H
Houston, TX USA
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 01:16:21 PM »

Iconic has done a great job so far. Really, there's no reason there can't be a *permanent* Beach Boys channel. When you consider their vast catalog *as a band* -- studio albums, concert albums, a ton of archival releases -- plus their solo material, outside projects, covers and influences (both inspired by and inspiring TO The Beach Boys), and the possibilities of talk shows...it could easily be done.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:25 PM »

Iconic has done a great job so far. Really, there's no reason there can't be a *permanent* Beach Boys channel. When you consider their vast catalog *as a band* -- studio albums, concert albums, a ton of archival releases -- plus their solo material, outside projects, covers and influences (both inspired by and inspiring TO The Beach Boys), and the possibilities of talk shows...it could easily be done.

Agreed - several other bands/artists have permanent channels (i.e. The Beatles, Elvis, Tom Petty, U2, Jimmy Buffett, etc.).  As you say there is certainly enough content out there to make it worthwhile. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 04:26:36 PM »

Maybe.  Although I found myself pretty winded from this channel after listening to it for only a couple of minutes at a time.  I mostly enjoyed it in small doses.  Only so many times you need to hear some songs like "Spirit of America" get replayed. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 11:48:24 AM »

Hey -- some of us actually like "Spirit of America" a lot!!

But yeah, I got tired of some songs being constantly repeated, including the alternate version of "Let Him Run Wild." And I was only listening to Sirius while in the car, so also listening in short spurts.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:49:15 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 02:43:38 PM »

I enjoyed the channel and the music but only listen to it and limited spurts when I was driving. It was on continuously this summer and I must say some of the songs repeated over and over and over again sometimes within 2 or 3 hours. Still lots of promise with this channel if they would only expand
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 05:02:36 PM »

I got a new car this summer, and it came with Sirius, so this was the first time I ever heard the BB channel. At first, it was very cool hearing songs like Forever or Cool Cool Water on the radio. It brought me back to a time when you would hear songs like that on commercial radio. By the time I heard Forever for the fourth day in a row, the novelty was over.

One of the issues with these single artist channels is that even the greatest bands don't have enough songs to avoid having stuff being frequently repeated. Even if you played every song the BB's ever recorded, you have what, 300-400 songs. Maybe 100-200 more if you add in solo stuff? That is probably similar to the typical repetitive classic rock playlist. If you play 10 songs per hour (which is probably a low number, considered how short many BB songs are), you are going to be repeating songs every 3-4 days at the most.

In addition, these channels also expose the uneven quality of many band's catalogs. I listen to the Beatles channel, and I have learned over the past month how horrible Ringo Starr's catalog is. I also have no desire to hear Hey Jude, or Something, again and again, after hearing them on commercial radio for years. The Beatles channel also has a lot of miserable filler programming, either mediocre folk artists doing mediocre covers of Beatle songs, or interviews with artists talking about how the Beatles influenced them. So, while these channels sound like a cool idea, I understand how they can wear thin quickly.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:11:44 AM »

The BBs have a pretty large catalog to draw from for a "single artist" channel, especially considering they pulled in nearly all of their solo albums, all of the archival sets including all of the studio and live copyright extension sets, and even pulled in some "grey market" releases like live '81 Carl stuff, '66 Japan, '71 Fillmore East, '81 Washington DC, etc.

The problem is that they didn't like run through everything on any sort of even basis. They seemed to rotate the same 25-50 songs *over and over and over* and then sprinkle in the other 90%+ of the catalog very sparingly. "Kokomo" and "Be True To Your School" and "Fun Fun Fun", etc. all got played *dozens* of times per day, and then once every few days I'd see something weird like a "Celebration" song or Carl live at the Bottom Line, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »

Hey Jude, my thoughts exatly.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »

they would need to release more live recordings of songs and mix in some interviews , celebrity DJ kind of things, the BB themselves playing songs . Other BB knockoffs  It could be done easily .
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »

The BBs have a pretty large catalog to draw from for a "single artist" channel, especially considering they pulled in nearly all of their solo albums, all of the archival sets including all of the studio and live copyright extension sets, and even pulled in some "grey market" releases like live '81 Carl stuff, '66 Japan, '71 Fillmore East, '81 Washington DC, etc.

The problem is that they didn't like run through everything on any sort of even basis. They seemed to rotate the same 25-50 songs *over and over and over* and then sprinkle in the other 90%+ of the catalog very sparingly. "Kokomo" and "Be True To Your School" and "Fun Fun Fun", etc. all got played *dozens* of times per day, and then once every few days I'd see something weird like a "Celebration" song or Carl live at the Bottom Line, etc.

Yeah, I don't remember as many repeated songs going on in a given day the first time SiriusXM brought this channel out. Even though there still was a lot of variety in the material they were playing, I still notoriously heard a lot of the same stuff pretty consistently and I never had the station on much longer than a few minutes at a time.  Although the band definitely has a lot of material to warrant a permanent channel I believe a lot of said material, especially almost anything post-"Good Vibrations", is rather alien to the average listener that just wants to hear the hits.  So deep-diving into the rare stuff like the Celebration albums probably won't prove marketable.  🤷‍♂️

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx