gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:10:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Influence on Keepin' The Summer Alive Album?  (Read 1961 times)
TheLukeDiamond
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:03:03 PM »

Specifically on Goin' On, that vocal hook sounds so similar to the vocal snippet that plays before the string outro on the Smile Sessions version of Heroes and Villains. Is there any proven influence, or is it just a coincidence as far as we can tell?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:25 AM »

I know it's been mentioned in various liner notes on Beach Boys reissues. To me, though, it -- and so much of the rest of the song -- sounds like a Queen send-up.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »

Don't think you can really tie the two together.....certainly an album that could do with a SMiLE influence though  Grin

sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 04:15:19 PM »

It's not just influence - it's the exact same vocal arrangement note for note. It wasn't originally conceived for Smile either: the same arrangement was used as the intro for All Dressed Up For School in 1964.
Jim Curtis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 04:48:11 PM »

Is it just me but the first time I listened to this album when it came out in 1980 my thoughts were that Goin On was heavily influenced on the Supertramp album of the same era Breakfast in America.  When I heard the bridge all I could think is that they were trying to sound like Supertramp.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »

Specifically on Goin' On, that vocal hook sounds so similar to the vocal snippet that plays before the string outro on the Smile Sessions version of Heroes and Villains. Is there any proven influence, or is it just a coincidence as far as we can tell?

Actually the influence is originally from Les Paul and Mary Ford's hit "How High The Moon". 10 years ago this week I made and posted this video about that vocal segment that Brian used and reused multiple times, take a listen to the audio examples and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmdQ0jc6rQg

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 06:53:28 PM »

Actually the influence is originally from Les Paul and Mary Ford's hit "How High The Moon". 10 years ago this week I made and posted this video about that vocal segment that Brian used and reused multiple times, take a listen to the audio examples and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmdQ0jc6rQg

Wow, I've always loved "How High The Moon" but never made that connection to that vocal section Brian loved so much.  Very cool.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »

Probably coincidental.  Brian and the band are known for reusing various motifs and bits throughout their music in other songs.   Take the similarities between BW's "Walkin' The Line" and Al Jardine's "Looking Down the Coast" for example.  Hell, their early previously unreleased song "All Dressed Up For School" morphed into "I Just Got My Pay" before finally achieving it's Super Saiyan form of "Marcella".

And yeah there seems to be more of a direct Queen influence going on here. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx