gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:11:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Bernard Haitink  (Read 1187 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2021, 05:15:34 AM »

Bernard Haitink (1929–2021), who died last week aged 92, is regarded as the greatest Dutch conductor of the past sixty years.

I was lucky enough to attend at least one concert under his baton. The main meat of this one evening was Mahler's nocturnal Symphony No. 7. During the hushed opening bars before the Tenorhorn began its mournful solo, one of the double bass players dropped his mute with one hell of a clatter that must have been heard in the back row. We were close enough to Haitink to be able to read his face. There was not the slightest change in his expression, which was one of the deepest concentration. (He was utterly devoted to the symphonies of Mahler and even more so to those of Bruckner.) It was as if the incident had never happened.

Right now Dutch TV and radio are full of interviews with and documentaries about the man, who offstage was self-effacing almost to an embarrassing degree. My wife tells me he used to devour huge quantities of food after his concerts to bring himself back down to earth! Here he is conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker in the opening minutes of the finale of that Mahler symphony. Slaap zacht, Maestro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4iN2VJoBRk

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Haitink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »

Sad

I have whole bunch of CD's with him as conductor.

In fact, in a freaky coincidence, I was literally just 3 minutes ago listening to Mahler's 8th with him conducting! And I didn't even know he had died until I read this post 3 minutes later!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 12:53:25 PM »

"On the beach at night, alone" from Ralph Vaughan Williams' A Sea Symphony, here sung by the baritone Jonathan Summers, is such an evocative piece, and most especially in Bernard Haitink's hands.

Bon voyage, maestro.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aK6k6tt1Z4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sea_Symphony

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx