gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:24:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's a little web-series about some Feel Flows era tunes  (Read 6396 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

Hey.  So I can't do full on, I'm Grass and You're a Power Mower style production breakdowns right now, being temporarily divorced from a lot of my musical equipment.

So to bide my and your time, I'm going to do little bite-size videos that highlight my fave little musical moments from the Feel Flows material.  I'm hoping to do one every day or so, starting with Slip on Through.  Let me know what you think, and please ask questions, or request that I talk about some musical moment that you love.

When I finally do have everything in place to go full-bore on the SDSN material, you're going to want to batten down the hatches and bolt your furniture to the floor.  But for now, Five Minute Feel Flows Feels to Reels, episode 1, Slip on Through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OjiGUoB_0E
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:54:03 PM »

Great to see and hear from you! I'm looking forward to this series and gaining insights into the songwriting on display in the set. Thank you in advance!

Watch out for snakes!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:54:45 AM »

Very nice! I just had a suggestion related to the Slip On Through installment: With your classical background I think it would be educational and interesting to connect some of the classical composition techniques to the way the band and in this case Dennis and Brian would use them in their own work.

With Slip On Through, the use of a bass "pedal" or pedal bass figure, or if it fits better a "basso ostinado" or ground bass from centuries prior is what Dennis uses on the track. It's a relatively easy way for anyone with even limited piano skills to create some very interesting chord voicings where the triads move on top but the bass note or even bass figure stays the same.

I'm just suggesting this because when I was new to learning the theory concepts and listening mostly to rock music from the 60's, I'd always enjoy seeing a term like "ostinado" used to describe a track I knew, and I'd go and research what that terminology was and how it worked musically with songs I knew and could relate to more than some 400 year old examples.  Grin

I thought it would be neat if you could relate some of those terms and the traditional theory terminology to the BB's examples and draw that connecting line, because it didn't happen in a vacuum and it's always fascinating to hear how composers find new ways to use techniques that are centuries old and keep them fresh and unique.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. 

Here's episode 2 about This Whole World. 

As always, I appreciate feedback -- help me dial it in to be as interesting to as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVxeEJKlIQ
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. 

Here's episode 2 about This Whole World. 

As always, I appreciate feedback -- help me dial it in to be as interesting to as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVxeEJKlIQ

I'm definitely down for a Part 2 for "This Whole World!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 09:41:53 PM »

Seconded! I know next to nothing about music theory but your examples are very easy to follow. Given how busy the song is, you could probably do just as much analysis of each key change...

Watch out for snakes!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:05:30 PM »

A great idea and a great start with what you've done to date, Joshilyn. I left a couple of suggestions at You Tube, you can check them out there at your leisure and see if they make any sense...!

Very much looking forward to more of this--like the box set itself, it will be an embarrassment of riches!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:07:40 PM »

Thank you, Don -- I did see your ideas at YouTube and will consider them all!

Episode 3 is now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NICy-uGSwMQ
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »

Thanks, these are great!  Smiley

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 04:54:18 PM »

Episode 4 is now up, about got to know the woman.

As always, I really appreciate it when you watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0M7EwrMBBo
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 11:21:43 PM »

Just watched the video on "slip on through" and it was really fantastic. Thank you so very much for doing these!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »

Thanks again for another insightful piece. I like that you compare/contrast with alternative approaches to show what a more conventional structure might have. Also, I'm glad you gave specific mention to Mike's exuberant bass vocal part.

Watch out for snakes!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »

Have always LOVED "Got To Know The Woman" and it's a great insight about how the decision to "accelerate" the modulation really optimizes the energy of the track.

And, yes, one of Mike's greatest bass line inventions--it's too bad that Mark & Alan did not include an isolated clip of Mike's work in it...because it's really as mind-blowing to the listening as the woman was for Dennis...  Smokin
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »

I'm back to talk about Deirdre - watch the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1vZCsE_TQ

As usual, I beseech thee for feedback and comments.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 02:05:16 AM »

Am I really the first to comment? Goodness...

I do like the way you zoom in on a single aspect, in this case a chord. And nice to see Marvin Gaye joining the proceedings.

These miniatures make a wonderful foil to the full-blown Power Mower videos!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »

Am I really the first to comment? Goodness...

My videos render people speechless.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 09:17:00 PM »

Took me a while to get around to watching the latest. I appreciate the compare/contrast examples, so thanks again!

One thing about 'Deirdre' is that it's a perfect example of what I guess I would call Sesame Street Soft Pop. I recall some users of the old Smile Shop boards being into the Joe Raposo sound, and I get that vibe from this song. The flutes, especially.  In a similar vein, I also get a kind of "Shaft"/soundtrack vibe. So it's dated to its era but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Watch out for snakes!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 08:07:33 AM »

Took me a while to get around to watching the latest. I appreciate the compare/contrast examples, so thanks again!

One thing about 'Deirdre' is that it's a perfect example of what I guess I would call Sesame Street Soft Pop. I recall some users of the old Smile Shop boards being into the Joe Raposo sound, and I get that vibe from this song. The flutes, especially.  In a similar vein, I also get a kind of "Shaft"/soundtrack vibe. So it's dated to its era but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Right...while I think a full album of "Deirdre"-style arrangements would NOT have been appropriate for the band at this juncture of their career (or any, for that matter), one or two cuts in this vein - meaning, the big, old-timey "Hollywood"-style arrangement and production (for lack of a better description) was fine in the context of what else is on Sunflower. With The Beatles' white album, we get cuts like "Martha My Dear", "Honey Pie", and "Good Night", but also stuff like "Helter Skelter", "Yer Blues", and "Me And My Monkey", plus many different styles in-between. A very wide range of styles showcasing the Fabs' wide songwriting scope - and people love it. I look at Sunflower as doing the same thing for the Hawthorne Hotshots. Too many "It's About Time"'s maybe would've fit better in with the current "scene", but I think everyone understood at this point that the BBs transcended one single genre. If only U.S. radio and the general public had given that album more of a chance, it might have done at least as well as Surf's Up would do a year later.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 03:44:28 PM »

I've just published a "Thanksgiving Episode" of this, talking about "It's About Time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyAms9W59JI

Hope you enjoy it!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 09:59:12 PM »

Thank you, Joshilyn!

This is an odd song for me. I've never really dug it, and with the two Bruce songs on either side it's kind of a lull in the album for me. Each song has its own merits of course, but this is probably my least-favourite on the album (I'm not generally a fan of songs about music/being a musician, even if that's not necessarily the case here). The Feel Flows set has some new insights like the fantastic drumming, and the main riff is pretty solid. Thanks for highlighting the way the chords play against it and doing the comparison with the straightforward approach. I may need rethink a song I recently recorded...

Watch out for snakes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 08:25:04 PM »

Loving these vids and how Joshlyn can pull a song apart and tell me what I am hearing. I can play, but I don't seem to have the ability to pull apart and analyze what I'm listening to. I do love the Wilsonian bass notes thing. Noticed that when I started trying to play them based on the tabs over at cabinessence.com.
Only thing I would wish for is - shorter time between the vids!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »

Only thing I would wish for is - shorter time between the vids!

That is something I would like too!  These have ended up being pretty "when the spirit movers me" but when I start my in-depth series on Summer Days I should have a nice backlog and make it a weekly EVENT!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 06:38:35 PM »

Here's a new one on "Tears in the Morning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRDPaBwuUDg

Thanks for watching!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 06:05:43 AM »

The best.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2022, 01:27:09 PM »

Hey Joshilyn, I was just wondering if you plan to do some videos about the new "Sail on, Sailor" set, too? I would love to see some of your analyses on songs like "You need a Mess of Help", "Here She comes", "The Trader" etc.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx