gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
672023 Posts in 27055 Topics by 3973 Members - Latest Member: Tante September 27, 2021, 01:08:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's a little web-series about some Feel Flows era tunes  (Read 882 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:54:14 AM »

Hey.  So I can't do full on, I'm Grass and You're a Power Mower style production breakdowns right now, being temporarily divorced from a lot of my musical equipment.

So to bide my and your time, I'm going to do little bite-size videos that highlight my fave little musical moments from the Feel Flows material.  I'm hoping to do one every day or so, starting with Slip on Through.  Let me know what you think, and please ask questions, or request that I talk about some musical moment that you love.

When I finally do have everything in place to go full-bore on the SDSN material, you're going to want to batten down the hatches and bolt your furniture to the floor.  But for now, Five Minute Feel Flows Feels to Reels, episode 1, Slip on Through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OjiGUoB_0E
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:54:03 PM »

Great to see and hear from you! I'm looking forward to this series and gaining insights into the songwriting on display in the set. Thank you in advance!

Watch out for snakes!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:54:45 AM »

Very nice! I just had a suggestion related to the Slip On Through installment: With your classical background I think it would be educational and interesting to connect some of the classical composition techniques to the way the band and in this case Dennis and Brian would use them in their own work.

With Slip On Through, the use of a bass "pedal" or pedal bass figure, or if it fits better a "basso ostinado" or ground bass from centuries prior is what Dennis uses on the track. It's a relatively easy way for anyone with even limited piano skills to create some very interesting chord voicings where the triads move on top but the bass note or even bass figure stays the same.

I'm just suggesting this because when I was new to learning the theory concepts and listening mostly to rock music from the 60's, I'd always enjoy seeing a term like "ostinado" used to describe a track I knew, and I'd go and research what that terminology was and how it worked musically with songs I knew and could relate to more than some 400 year old examples.  Grin

I thought it would be neat if you could relate some of those terms and the traditional theory terminology to the BB's examples and draw that connecting line, because it didn't happen in a vacuum and it's always fascinating to hear how composers find new ways to use techniques that are centuries old and keep them fresh and unique.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 01:21:38 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. 

Here's episode 2 about This Whole World. 

As always, I appreciate feedback -- help me dial it in to be as interesting to as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVxeEJKlIQ
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. 

Here's episode 2 about This Whole World. 

As always, I appreciate feedback -- help me dial it in to be as interesting to as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVxeEJKlIQ

I'm definitely down for a Part 2 for "This Whole World!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 09:41:53 PM »

Seconded! I know next to nothing about music theory but your examples are very easy to follow. Given how busy the song is, you could probably do just as much analysis of each key change...

Watch out for snakes!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:05:30 PM »

A great idea and a great start with what you've done to date, Joshilyn. I left a couple of suggestions at You Tube, you can check them out there at your leisure and see if they make any sense...!

Very much looking forward to more of this--like the box set itself, it will be an embarrassment of riches!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:07:40 PM »

Thank you, Don -- I did see your ideas at YouTube and will consider them all!

Episode 3 is now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NICy-uGSwMQ
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 04:48:43 PM »

Thanks, these are great!  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx