gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:39:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up - Pre 1999  (Read 1220 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:48:16 AM »

When the Beach Boys first arrived on CD in the early 90s, the version of Surf's Up had some crosstalk in the left channel during Brian's section of the song (it might have been in the first section as well but was hidden under the fuller track). It was on the CBS Surf's Up CD, Ten Years Of Harmony and the Good Vibrations box. Dauber talked about trying to assemble his own SMILE tape and using the Ten Years Of Harmony from the EU because the crosstalk was not in that version.

So my question is, do we know what master was used that had that crosstalk and was a different master or a remaster done for all of the versions after the 1999 one came out without that crosstalk. We know that TYOH (the original master) did not have that issue. The new flat transfer CD of TYOH out of Japan confirms that. Carl would never have let that pass.

And my reason for asking this is because I recently pulled out my 1971 AMPEX cassette of SU. Listening to 'Til I Die, I could tell there was NO bleed thru from bad head alignment from the other channels. Then when SU was playing, during Brian's section, there was the cross talk. And it sounded the same as the crosstalk on the CDs. So I was wondering if maybe the 1971 cassette master might have been pulled for the releases in the early '90s. Also the SACD version from a few years back also has the cross talk.

Any info would be appreciated. I know this was talked about endlessly back in the day, but I don't remember the final outcome.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:51:03 AM by petsite » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:53:03 AM »

What I'm curious about is if the 1971 commercial single has the bleedthrough. The promo does, but i don't know about the one that you could buy in stores. The "crosstalk" was also not on the original 1981 release of Ten Years of Harmony. My theory is that the commercial single also didn't have it. Why do I theorize that? Because TYoH was very single-version-heavy (except for the US-pressed CD).

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 06:07:16 PM »

I think with the TYOH issue (the original release in 1981, the CD from the EU in 1990 that was mastered from the 1981 vinyl master, and the 2018 flat transfer from the master issued in Japan), Carl Wilson mastered the release. He did the vault search and sought out the masters used. If he pulled whatever master and noticed there was bleed through, I can SO see him tracking down another master until he found one that was clean, or doing a remix if he had to.

I have wondered that when the 1999 GH Vol. 3 was done if someone decided to pull the TYOH master and used that version. I dunno, which is why I am trying to find out more info.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx