gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:41:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you associate Cabin Essence & Surf's Up more with Smile or 20/20 & Surf's Up?  (Read 1516 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:09:01 PM »

Perhaps not the most interesting question, but I was thinking about this the other day.

Maybe it comes down to when somebody became a fan? Just curious about what comes to mind first (with the caveat that 'Smile' wasn't a released album).
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 10:38:58 PM »

Cabin - Absolutely associate it with Smile.  I first heard the song as part of the Smile sampler on Disc 2 of the '93 box set.  When I later obtained the Friends/20/20 CD, Cab seems very out of place on that album.

Surf's Up - I associate the '71 album version with the album particularly because Carl's lead on the first section just seems post-Smile in a way that his Cabin lead doesn't.   It's very much the same Carl voice that you hear on Long Promised Road & Feel Flows, so it seems of a piece with the album.  I associate other SU versions with Smile.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 06:04:36 AM »

Considering SMiLE is what made me become a hardcore fan, they're both songs of that era to me.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 06:26:18 AM »

I associate them with SMiLE.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 03:57:24 AM »

Considering SMiLE is what made me become a hardcore fan, they're both songs of that era to me.

+1
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 02:19:51 PM »

Saaaaaame.
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 06:16:16 AM »

Great question.  I'm dating myself here, but I remember getting the Wild Honey - 20/20 2 LP set in the late 70s, the album cover was a sand cover with a painting of a girl in a bikini on it.  The second side of 20/20 closed with Our Prayer and Cabinessence and stood out from the rest of tunes to my middle-school ears.  Both compositions really stood out from the rest of the album.  It would be years later that I learned the whole SMiLE story. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx