gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:33:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical additional album using outtakes from Feel Flows set  (Read 1189 times)
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »

Clearly there was enough good, unused material in 68-71 that they could easily have made a third album from it (before moving onto new material for Carl and the Passions).

What would this third album have looked like for you? Doesn't have to be chronologically after Surf's Up, it could go before Sunflower or in between Sunflower & Surf's Up. Can include songs that had been non-album singles or B-sides but not album tracks as of 1971.

Mine would be something like this (in a hypothetical world where Dennis and Carl are able to get past their differences and Dennis agrees to release his solo songs as Beach Boys tunes):

REVERBERATION (1971)

Side A:

1. It's a New Day
2. Sail Plane Song (not Loop De Loop - Sail Plane is an amazing piece of atmosphere and psychedelia, Loop De Loop is juveline and grating)
3. I'm Going Your Way
4. Baby Baby (imagining a version with Dennis & Carl doing serious vocals)
5. Susie Cincinnati
6. Won't You Tell Me (arranged like Brian's organ demo but with a proper vocal take - just a short side closer)

Side B:
1. Big Sur
2. San Miguel
3. Sweet and Bitter
4. Hawaiian Dream
5. Barbara
6. Awake (but in a lower key so Brian's vocal doesn't have to sound so shrill)

I've tried to make it as commercially viable for 1971-72 as possible, following up on the underground success of Surf's Up. Excluded Sound of Free and Lady because these had been released by Dennis & Daryl Dragon in late '70.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »

Whenever we get these copyright extension/sessions/outtakes sets I usually compile a playlist for my personal listening of a conceptual deluxe album, kind of imagining if the album(s) in question had been released as a double album or something like that... I did this with the 'Friends' and '20/20' albums after those digital sets came out a few years ago. And after obsessive listening this past weekend I have done the same for the 'Sunflower' and 'Surf's Up' albums:

Sunflower Deluxe
Side A (19:31)
1. "This Whole World" (Alternate Ending) / 2. "Break Away" (Original 1969 Single Mix) / 3. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" (2019 Mix) / 4. "Good Time" (2019 Mix) / 5. "Slip On Through" (Alternate 1969 Mix w/ Session Intro) / 6, "I'm Going Your Way" (Alternate Vocal Take) / 7. "Got to Know the Woman"
Side B (22:26)
8. "Susie Cincinnati" (2020 Mix. / 9) "San Miguel" (2020 Mix) / 10. "It's About Time" / 11. "Tears in the Morning" / 12. "Add Some Music to Your Day" (Alternate Version) / 13. "Walkin'" (2019 Mix)
Side C (23:08)
14. "Back Home" (Alternate Version) / 15. "Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)" (2021 Stereo Mix) / 16. "Celebrate the News" (2020 Mix) / 17. "Two Can Play" (2019 Mix) / 18. "Our Sweet Love" / 19. "When Girls Get Together" (2020 Mix) / 20. "Deidre" / 21. "At My Window"
Side D (16:58)
22. "Where Can She Be" (2019 Mix) / 23. "Cool, Cool Water" (Alternate 2019 Mix) / 24. "All I Wanna Do" / 25. "Won't You Tell Me" (2019 Mix) / 26. "Forever"

- Alternate Vocal Take of "I'm Going Your Way" sourced from the digital EP '1969 - I'm Going Your Way' released in 2019, I just enjoy the double-tracked vocal.

The only concept I really had putting this one together was trying to start it strong and fun, and end it sweet and sappy; I wound up with what I think is a real upbeat and even rockin' hypothetical side A, a fun and varied sides B & C, and a softer and more syrupy side D. Ending strong as you can hope to with Denny's "Forever" which I felt was appropriately prefaced in the lyrics of "Won't You Tell Me" (and even the concept of the lyrics in "All I Wanna Do"). So there you have your delxue 'Sunflower'.

Surf's Up Deluxe
Side A (18:40)
1. "Don't Go Near the Water" / 2. "Long Promised Road" / 3. "4th of July" (2019 Mix) / 4. "Disney Girls (1957)" / 5. "Big Sur" (Outtake) / 6. "It's Natural" (Outtake)
Side B (19:25)
6. "Take a Load Off Your Feet" (Alternate Vocal) / 7. "I Just Got My Pay" (2019 Mix) / 8. "H.E.L.P. is On the Way" (2019 Mix) / 9. "Settle Down/Sound of Free" (Basic Session Outtake) / 10. "Sound of Free" (1970 Single Mix) / 11. "Lookin' at Tomorrow (A Welfare Song)" / 12. "Medley: All of My Love/Ecology" (Outtake)
Side C (22:22)
13. "Before" (Outtake) / 14. "Behold the Night" (Outtake) / 15. "Awake" (Outtake) / 16. "Old Movie (Cuddle Up)" / 17. "A Day in the Life of a Tree" / 18. "Hawaiian Dream" (Outtake) / 19. "I've Got a Friend" (Outtake)
Side D (22:22)
20. "'Til I Die" (Alternate Mix) / 21. "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (Extended Mix) / 22. "Feel Flows" / 23. "You Never Give Me Your Money" (Outtake) / 24. "Surf's Up" (2019 Mix)

- "'Til I Die" (Alternate Mix) sourced from the 1998 'Endless Harmony Soundtrack' album, I don't care too much for the alternate lyrics of the long version on the new Feel Flows set, as interesting a historical document as it is... So I used this version.

I sort of had a vague concept for this one, I wanted to include as much Dennis as possible, but I also wanted to capitalize on some of the goofy songs they had recorded in this time that I actually think are quite fantastic... So for the hypothetical side A I figured, again, start strong, with the classic Beach Boys sound but across a progressive range of songs, from rockers to ballads and the gambit in between. Side B is where I cluster my beloved trio of fun/goofy songs, which is coupled with the instrumental session for "Sound of Free" and then the actual track itself, getting some Dennis in there. I debated including the new Feel Flows version of "Lookin' at Tomorrow" but decided to go with the original for the sake of the vocal effects. That gives us a nice transition into the Dennis medley that both closes the hypothetical side B and teases the material to come on this imaginary third side. Side C would be home for the majority of the 'Poops'/'Hubba Hubba' material, intermittently broken up by equally gorgeous Brian songs. Closing with the epic instrumental "I've Got a Friend" would be quite a statement. Side D would open with the extended "'Til I Die" followed by the extended "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" followed by "Feel Flows" which would give us a succession of objective masterpieces from each of the Wilson brothers, oldest to youngest. The instrumental Beatles cover/snippet would really be more of an introductory segment to the curtain call of the title track.

EDIT: Sorry to anyone who's heartbroken over the removal of "Student Demonstration Time" from the sequence; if you really like that song you can just insert it in place of the session outtake before the single mix of "Sound of Free" and voila!

SECOND EDIT: After a few more days of listening, I decided to add "It's Natural" to the end of my imaginary A side of 'Surf's Up' Deluxe, it fits the mood, and gives Mike two dynamite vocal spots in a row.

THIRD EDIT: After further listening, I have slightly shuffled the sequence of my hypothetical Side C... This is a living playlist  LOL
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 07:19:11 AM by FreakySmiley » Logged
FlowsOfFeeling
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »

I've had these alt tracklists put together for a few months now but thanks to the set I was able to finally assemble them. I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out.

Landlocked -  August 1971

Side 1:
1. Don’t Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Fourth Of July
4. Disney Girls
5. Sound Of Free
Side 2:
1. Feel Flows
2. My Solution
3. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
4. Til I Die
5. Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again

So Tough - May 1972

Side 1:
1. Mess Of Help
2. Here She Comes
3. It’s A New Day
4. Hold On, Dear Brother
5. Baby Baby
6. Marcella

Side 2:
1. All This Is That
2. In The Country
3. He Come Down
4. Cuddle Up
5. Behold The Night
6. Won’t You Tell Me
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:18:48 AM »

I've had these alt tracklists put together for a few months now but thanks to the set I was able to finally assemble them. I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out.

Landlocked -  August 1971

Side 1:
1. Don’t Go Near The Water
2. Long Promised Road
3. Fourth Of July
4. Disney Girls
5. Sound Of Free
Side 2:
1. Feel Flows
2. My Solution
3. A Day In The Life Of A Tree
4. Til I Die
5. Wouldn’t It Be Nice To Live Again

I really like this tracklist, and I'm intrigued with the idea of "My Solution" standing beside the giants "Til I Die" and WIBNTLA. I actually prefer the version from Imagination by a lot...It is so dark yet somehow hopeful. But this version is just plain wacky, but in a good way haha.

Thanks for sharing this, gonna make a playlist out of it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx