gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:46:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game-Time: Can You Guess The Song?  (Read 3020 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »

I recently watched a Beatles YouTube video where they played 15 short song snippets and you had to guess each song. They used five 2.0 second, five 1.0 second, and five 0.5 second clips, but I ended up with three 2.0 second, seven 1.5 second, three 1.0 second, and two 0.5 second clips. So, considerably easier, I think! The soundcloud track I'm posting here is only about 5 minutes long. You'll hear each snippet twice (5 seconds apart) and then you'll hear an extended version to reveal the answer. If you'd like to pause it after the first and/or second play to ponder the answer for a few moments, feel free to do so, but then you gotta guess! I think it'll be too easy if you take your time and listen to it over and over. I didn't try to be tricky. I selected memorable/distinctive moments. I picked songs from the studio albums. I balanced out the hits and non-hits, and spanned the decades.

I encourage everyone to share their score (e.g. "10/15" if you got 10 right) but be careful not to reveal the answers. (At least not until such a time that everyone who's interested has had a chance to play.)

Get out your headphones and have at it!

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-1

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 04:44:07 AM »

An embarrassing 9/15 Shocked

Thanks so much for putting that together - that was a fun game to play! Some of those deeper cuts I just couldn’t get - even after hearing the 5 second samples! Guess I need to listen to these guys more often.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 04:40:12 PM »

Hey, rab, thanks for playing. I had fun putting it together. I've posted it on two other forums and most fans are scoring between 8-12 so no need to be embarrassed!  Smiley It's tough with the Beach Boys because their catalog is huge. Either our brains can't quite sift through the hundreds of songs we're familiar with in time or the snippet happens to be one of the few tracks we aren't too familiar with. When I played the Beatles version, I think I actually got the easiest ones wrong! Boy, was I kicking myself. But, that's the fun of it, really.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 04:41:16 PM by B.E. » Logged

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 09:12:03 PM »

I got 10/15, though in two of the missed ones I at least had the right album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:15 AM »

Hey, rab, thanks for playing. I had fun putting it together. I've posted it on two other forums and most fans are scoring between 8-12 so no need to be embarrassed!  Smiley It's tough with the Beach Boys because their catalog is huge. Either our brains can't quite sift through the hundreds of songs we're familiar with in time or the snippet happens to be one of the few tracks we aren't too familiar with. When I played the Beatles version, I think I actually got the easiest ones wrong! Boy, was I kicking myself. But, that's the fun of it, really.

Like TimeToGetAlone I had guessed the album correctly on a couple of them, but narrowing those sounds down to a song is hard with some of those! I hope more people play, it’s a great/fun concept.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »

This as really fun but I’m too embarrassed to post my score!  Roll Eyes
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 07:07:58 PM »

Another 10/15!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 11:52:47 AM »

Hey, slightly different format this time. Just 3 clips (one 2 second, one 1 second, one .5 second), played 3 times each. After listening post your answers in code by abbreviating the album and song titles. So, if you think the answers are "Let Us Go On This Way", "Farmer's Daughter", and "Where I Belong" post something like "1. lylugotw 2. susafd 3. tbbwib". Not much of a code but it's quick and I think it might be enough not to spoil the game.

I'll post the answer clips on Wednesday evening. If there's enough interest, I was thinking of maintaining a Monday/Wednesday/Friday schedule for a few weeks.

Have at it! (If these are too easy, trust me, I can make it a LOT harder!)

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:54:36 AM by B.E. » Logged

thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 12:37:31 PM »

tbblygt
whhsbi
whwh
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »

Nice guesses, thr33. Thanks for playing. Clip #2 proved a little tricky.

Here are the answers to Game #2:

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-2-answers

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:58:02 PM »

And here is Game #3:

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-3

Reminder:

Hey, slightly different format this time. Just 3 clips (one 2 second, one 1 second, one .5 second), played 3 times each. After listening post your answers in code by abbreviating the album and song titles. So, if you think the answers are "Let Us Go On This Way", "Farmer's Daughter", and "Where I Belong" post something like "1. lylugotw 2. susafd 3. tbbwib". Not much of a code but it's quick and I think it might be enough not to spoil the game.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 05:37:00 PM »

I'm a little embarrassed by my score in the first game (the only one I've done so far) - 7/15.
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 08:28:06 PM »

sdsntgfnyc
fbdn
catpsthodb (maybe?)

EDIT: Also, just tried the first one. 8-7, yikes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:33:43 PM by thr33 » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 04:51:22 PM »

Here are the answers to Game #3:

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-3-answers
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:00:13 PM by B.E. » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »

And here is Game #4:

https://soundcloud.com/b-e-18181486/beach-boys-game-4

This will conclude the game for now. 5 clips this time. Enjoy.

Reminder:

thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 05:45:35 PM »

susans
pscn
15bobh
ktsasoyl
hsb

Thanks for doing these, this was fun.
B.E.