gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:51:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reviewing Adult/Child as an actual Beach Boys album  (Read 61765 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #200 on: June 23, 2013, 02:39:33 AM »

Maybe I'd be able to review it if they released more than two Gosh Darn tracks from it in the last forty years GOD DAMN EHT

They have - of the twelve tracks on the master handed to Reprise shortly after June 27th 1977, exactly half - six - have been released in some way or another since 1978.

Side 1:
Life Is For The Living
Hey Little Tomboy - on MIU
Deep Purple
H.E.L.P. Is On The Way - on the 1993 box
It's Over Now - on the 1993 box
Everybody Wants To Live

Side 2:
Shortenin' Bread - on LA
Lines
On Broadway
Games Two Can Play - on the 1993 box
It's Trying To Say
Still I Dream Of It - on the 1993 box

But both Shortenin' Bread and Hey Little Tomboy are different versions/re-recordings of the original A/C album masters?

All of the original Adult/Child songs are available to listen to on YouTube, so to those who haven't heard it - go listen. The synth-heavy A/C version of Shortenin' Bread is great - far better than the LA version.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »

They have - of the twelve tracks on the master handed to Reprise shortly after June 27th 1977, exactly half - six - have been released in some way or another since 1978.

Not the original Adult Child album mix.

Fair 'nough, although to me, these songs/recordings belong to a different era (although these are indeed the '77/'78 mixes of the songs)

Yes.

Shortenin' Bread - on LA

Inferior re-recording.

I was kinda joking/exaggerating with my original post, but seriously, of the songs and recordings that are true to the era, we got an overdubbed/remixed version of one song on MIU, a lesser re-recording on LA, and two on the '93 box set.

It really kind of breaks my heart that there was a big opportunity to delve into another true unreleased album on the box set and it was basically passed up entirely sans a remix of one song. "Life Is For The Living" is totally an evolution of the Love You style, "Shortenin' Bread" and "Everybody Wants To Live" are classic Brian, the melody for "It's Trying To Say" is one of the most infectious things I've heard in my entire life, and "Still I Dream Of It" now remains out of print on CD. It's a shame.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »

I think the original recording of "Shortenin' Bread," found on the Adult/Child boot is fantastic, and rocks just about as hard as anything the fellas ever recorded.

It's a song which delivers a punk feel, featuring a terrific, impassioned vocal delivery (Carl's voice-crack, and all), with 70s production (including that glorious, fart-y synth), a suggestive, sexually-charged lyric, an incessant, driving beat and an unstoppable hook which drills itself right into your brain (and all this in under three minutes).  What's not to love?

Give it a spit shine, and get it released, guys!
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »

based on the comments here, here's my lineup for Adult/Child (I really dig the 70s ''Today!'' concept of rock/slow sides!)

Side A

Life is for Living
On Broadway
Marilyn Rovell
Sherry, She Needs Me
It's Trying To Say
Lines

Side B

Everybody Wants To Live
Deep Purple
My Diane
It's Over Now
Still I Dream of It
You've Lost That Loving Feeling
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2013, 03:40:20 AM »

While I think Adult/Child is valuable as a historic document, if you want to enjoy it you have to really turn your brain. The lyrics are distractingly bad.  While Love You's lyrics add a childlike whimsy to the music, Adult/Child's succeed only in making Brian's compositions sound like absolute garbage. They aren't idiosyncratic, they are juts bad. Even the gorgeous "Still I Dream Of It" opens up with embarrassing lyrics referencing cooking. I can appreciate the melodies in many places, but the lyrics make me question why I'm listening to them.

Brian's choices in arrangements and use of two 1970 outtakes also make me question both his intent and insanity. Looking at his lyrics and selection of material it is impossible to think of the album as the work of a healthy, functioning man like even Love You can. Love You was the sound of a genius getting back on his feet, Adult/Child sounds like the same man again losing his grip on reality.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:01:17 AM by Gabo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:47 PM »

Maybe I'd be able to review it if they released more than two Gosh Darn tracks from it in the last forty years GOD DAMN EHT

Side 1:
Life Is For The Living
Deep Purple
Everybody Wants To Live

Side 2:
Shortenin' Bread - on LA
Lines
On Broadway
It's Trying To Say

But both Shortenin' Bread and Hey Little Tomboy are different versions/re-recordings of the original A/C album masters?

Exactly - hence my "in some way or another comment".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »

The orig. mix of Adult Child is top-10 BB for me easily. Really needs to be released in it's original form ... I've lamented about it before, but here is a fully COMPLETE album -- mixed and ready -- from a classic period of the group that is just lingering. I'd bet in time it would be a bona-fide cult classic, like Smiley and Love You.

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

I feel like bumping this old thread, hope that's ok ettiquet-wise:

I blummin love this album, I'll throw that out there straight away.

Beautifully uneaven, as Love You (which I also adore...), it's so honest and mixed up, almost like a playlist rather than a coherent album.

The mix I listen to is:

Life is for the living one of my fav tracks ever, and I mean ever, by anyone. Ticks all my personal boxes, such a great arrangement, like a musical. I really connect with this track.

Hey Little Tom Boy Jesus, this is an uncomfortable track. I really like the arrangement, very catchy, find myself singing segments then feeling bad. Realistically, a terrible song.

Deep Purple I just don't get this. I feel nothing. The vocal is nice, timbre-wise but very bland.

HELP is on the way great tune. Enemas?! Yes. I want to order that Radient Raddish top (
http://society6.com/product/radiant-radish_t-shirt#11=49&4=81). I haven't yet heard that Christmas track using the same tune. I'm trying to make a BW/BB compilation album of heath songs together lead by this.

It's over now Love this, lush arrangement. I'm a sucker for a good flute / French Horn part. Great lyrics.

Everybody wants to live just once  I mentioned I loved this album, right? What are awesome tune. Lyrics, melody, arrangment all brilliant, organ ending sublime.
 The first verse of this song has to be one of  my favourite ever, what a different and crazy way lyrically to start a song.

Shortnin' Bread I drop this track into playlists all the time, I can't help but love it. I'm always reminded of the Alice Cooper ancedote and like to think of Brian obsessed with this track. Very comparable to Love You's 'Ding Dang'

Lines I really like this strange, strange song. On the surface it's really simple tune in every aspect but its so, I don't know - charming? Its this 'Daniel Johnston' side to BW I that I really connect with, personally.

On Broadway this is is a bit of a crazy inclusion. I like the song, but it totally doesn't belong here. I like the history behind it and can enjoy listening  to it but still jars the album a bit.

Games that two can play Really catchy with an uncomfortable sexual undertone… solid album filler

It's trying to Say I love this and I don't know why, it's a simple, singable romp. I find myself singing it loads, the 'Baseballs on' section is hypnotic, love the lyrics and it sums the album and BW period up quite well, musically and lyrically..Quite out there and yet so mainstream in many way. My life is better with this track in it.

Still I dream of it Quite simply, sublime, one of the best tracks ever. The first verse/chorus again is so memorable and poignant.  I simply could not hear this track enough.

So there is my completely detached analysis,. If it was released at the time? Almost a certain commercial 'meh' and with good reason. It's quirky, uneven, confused, almost unmarketable. Hardly the tick sheet of 'hit'. Lyrically and Musically I find this album so satisfying and honest. When paired with 'Love You' I think of it as the second best BB period overall  after 'Pet Sounds/SMiLE'.

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »

Side 1:
Life Is For The Living
Deep Purple
Everybody Wants To Live

Side 2:
Shortenin' Bread - on LA
Lines
On Broadway
It's Trying To Say
jus like how half of the orig Smile came out on Smiley Smile, 20/20 and Surfs Up...as well as parts on Wild Honey and Sunflower.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »

I really wanted to like Adult/Child, but it's just too hit and miss for me.

On Broadway and H.E.L.P. do nothing for me.
Lines seems like it could be good, but it needed to be fleshed out, it's too short.
It's Trying To Say, Games Two Can Play and It's Over Now just seem flat.
Though I think Life Is For The Living, Hey Little Tomboy, Shortenin' Bread and Still I Dream Of It are all fantastic songs.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:51 PM »

I used to actually hate H.E.L.P Is On The Way, that is until I tried to play it on the piano. It's really fun to play and the chord progression is awesome! Classic in the same vein as Vegetables. Brian knew his stuff.
CroatianSensation
Smiley Smile Associate

97' Beach Boys enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 12, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »

Here is a take I found of Adult/Child on the internet: https://soundcloud.com/descape5/the-beach-boys-adultchild-full-album-unreleased-1977
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2015, 07:36:03 AM »

I really wanted to like Adult/Child, but it's just too hit and miss for me.

On Broadway and H.E.L.P. do nothing for me.
Lines seems like it could be good, but it needed to be fleshed out, it's too short.
It's Trying To Say, Games Two Can Play and It's Over Now just seem flat.
Though I think Life Is For The Living, Hey Little Tomboy, Shortenin' Bread and Still I Dream Of It are all fantastic songs.
Many think it's classic, for some reason. Though I like it, that's not a word to describe it. It IS hit'n'miss, but it's charming lil album. "It's Over Now" has one of the worst Carl leads, yet the music is stunning. Waaaaay better than overrated "Still I Dream of It" which doesn't affect me at all. Ditto "Deep Purple", so dull. But wait, did you just call "Shortenin' Bread" "fantastic"?? It's a mere riff going on & on, what's there to cherish? Booorrre.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

It's weird. I love Love You but I just cant get into Adult/Child. I like it for what it is, a weird unreleased curiosity. I enjoy a couple of the songs, but overall it just drags and doesnt interest me very much. It doesnt sound like a unified body of work the way the other great Brian-led albums do. From SMiLE to Today to Pet Sounds and Love you...the songs on those albums all feel like they're cut from the same cloth. Each one is its own unique work of art. A/C doesnt have that internal consistency. It feels like a weird slapdash hybrid.

I disagree with a lot of his creative instincts, but in this one case I think Mike made the right call to reign Brian in. Maybe if they did a whole album of big band stuff or salvaged some of the other tracks to use as the base for their next album it would've worked out?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:37:55 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »

Bumped this thread just to say that, every once in a while, I just get in this mood where I truly believe ADULT CHILD to be AMAZING!  Mama's little baby loves shortnin, shortnin...
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »

Bumped this thread just to say that, every once in a while, I just get in this mood where I truly believe ADULT CHILD to be AMAZING!  Mama's little baby loves shortnin, shortnin...

Mate, I feel like that nearly all the time.

In the BW Songwriter documentary (which I looooove) the talking heads talk about what might have been with this album, how it was Brian evolving naturally from his Love You phase and developing his new creative voice. I couldn't agree more. There are four albums I just can't hear enough (see my signature) and this one is constantly on for me.....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »

Bumped this thread just to say that, every once in a while, I just get in this mood where I truly believe ADULT CHILD to be AMAZING!  Mama's little baby loves shortnin, shortnin...

Truly is an amazing album! You should check out some of these extended and alternate Adult/Child songs I posted up last week!

Life Is For The Living (Extended Alternate Version)
https://youtu.be/CFgkKws45TY

Hey Little Tomboy (Extended Alternate Version)
https://youtu.be/IU3sLxdBAHE

It's Trying To Say Baseball (Extended Alternate Version)
https://youtu.be/_jv8oqNF_mY

H.E.L.P. Is On The Way (Alternate Version)
https://youtu.be/SWnAZdLsgzA

Shortenin' Bread (Version 4)
https://youtu.be/f6UusO1fxPU

Still I Dream Of It (Alternate BEST QUALITY!)
https://youtu.be/oRsQwVBbPDw

Life Is For The Living (Instumental Backing Track
https://youtu.be/y1mLqRASUm4

Dont forget to like and subscribe!!

Check out all my other RARE and unreleased Beach boys song I have 100s and post "New" rare music by the beach boys daily!
https://www.youtube.com/user/1atozafit/videos
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:08:53 PM by The_Beach » Logged
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2021, 07:03:19 PM »

I was about to create a thread by this title, and saw that it already existed. Hope this isn't too much of a bump. Adult/Child doesn't really have much of a weak spot, maybe I don't dig Deep Purple or Games Two Can Play *as much*, but all in all it's quite good.

On the other hand, the album really suffers from a lack of unifying sound. The different arrangements/productions make it feel like more of a compilation. I don't mind the big band stuff, but it would've been nice to have an entire album in that style, or another album full of synths to follow up 15 Big Ones and Love You. I think Still I Dream of It and It's Over Now would sound amazing in the style of the previous two albums.

Honestly though, while I do love the 69-71 era songs used on Adult/Child, 15 Big Ones, and Love You (Susie Cincinnati, Good Time, HELP Is On the Way, Games Two Can Play; you can throw When Girls Get Together in this bucket too since it was considered for New Album and was used in Keepin The Summer Alive), they are a bit distracting in terms of vocals/production. There were enough great songs from this era to fill out these albums that would sound less anachronistic.

I think I would substitute:

Susie Cincinnati->Sea Cruise
Good Time->You've Lost That Lovin Feelin (I know Love You had no covers, so maybe not ideal)
HELP Is On the Way->Sherry She Needs Me
Games Two Can Play->Marilyn Rovell

My Diane is also sublime but that probably wasn't going to come out until after Brian and Marilyn split up, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:05:26 PM by thr33 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx