gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:20:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was Brian using LSD? Was anybody else in the band?  (Read 2499 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2021, 01:06:16 PM »

Was just thinking about this topic, and trying to get more context on what inspired Brian. My first best guess would be 65-67 (beginning when writing California Girls and concluding before Wild Honey, which is considered a "post-psychedelic" album).

What about the other guys? There is that comment from one of the Our Prayer sessions ("[a]re you guys feeling the acid yet?"), but I'm not sure how much it was used (I also don't know who was present at that session, offhand).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 01:08:36 PM by thr33 » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 12:09:53 AM »

The jury's still out on the "Our Prayer" session comment.... not only to whom it was directed but also whether it should be taken at face value.    For a long time, I certainly did take it at face value, then someone on here pointed out that Brian's humor is offbeat and that the comment could have been a put-on or sarcasm ... er even a metaphor.  In favor of that hypothesis is the idea that Brian was a taskmaster in the studio and that it might not have been possible to record Our Prayer in such a disciplined manner if they were all tripping on acid.  I don't know, and I'm not sure if we'll ever know.

Al has mentioned Brian proselytizing for LSD during that period, extolling the benefits of the drug and strongly encouraging Al to use it. AFAIK, Al declined.

Mike Love has talked many times about a dinner party (c. 1968-69) at the Dennis' home at which Denny and the Manson family were using LSD.   The way ML tells the story, he and Bruce were invitees at the party but got out of there when things got weird.   I say "got weird," but the story has a certain weirdness from the get-go. Not so much Mike, as he was sort of dressing and acting like a hippie during that 1968-71 period.  But Bruce?  It's just strange imagining him in his Lacoste polo shirt and shorts showing up at Denny's LSD-fueled orgy with Manson's chicks, not to mention the strangeness of Bruce being invited to a soiree like that in the first place.  Strange times.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 05:44:54 AM »

Lacoste polo shirt and shorts? Bruce didn't start dressing like that until the late '70s. Check out his wardrobe on the 20/20 album cover, or some of the non-suit promo shots from the day...seems he was trying to dress hip, as well.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 08:10:08 AM »

Lacoste polo shirt and shorts? Bruce didn't start dressing like that until the late '70s. Check out his wardrobe on the 20/20 album cover, or some of the non-suit promo shots from the day...seems he was trying to dress hip, as well.

Bruce was sporting Lacoste polo shirts in 1966.  Review the GV studio footage, 1:20-1:26.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVlSVkzbJDA
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »

Speaking of that GV footage, does anyone have any guess why Mike Love liked to wear gloves while recording vocals?   IIRC, that particular affectation was reproduced in the Love & Mercy movie.   Anyone seriously have any idea why a singer recording vocals would utilize gloves suitable for batting or golf?  Calluses from handling microphones and/or headphones?  Was that really a thing?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »

Speaking of that GV footage, does anyone have any guess why Mike Love liked to wear gloves while recording vocals?   IIRC, that particular affectation was reproduced in the Love & Mercy movie.   Anyone seriously have any idea why a singer recording vocals would utilize gloves suitable for batting or golf?  Calluses from handling microphones and/or headphones?  Was that really a thing?

I may be wrong, but I think those are driving gloves, the type worn by wealthy guys who drove European sports cars. It could be a status symbol of sorts I guess.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 02:37:34 PM »

In Mike's book there is at least one reference to Carl doing LSD.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 09:16:40 AM »

I think it’s established pretty well that the Wilsons were more open to experimenting with drugs. Mike’s admitted to doing pot before he got hooked on TM, while pretty much everyone says Bruce and Al were very straight and their only indulgence was alcohol
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 07:41:39 PM »

yeah mike said he used to smoke pot and drink not just a little but "half a bottle" of whiskey, etc. I think its clear everyone in the wilson/love family has addictive personalities, he was just lucky to channel that into meditation, imho.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 03:00:45 AM »

But SURE !  AL, BRUCE, CARL, DENNIS & yes, even Mike : they ALL were!   Brian's Trip  ["in the band"]....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:35:22 AM by >PapaLaPap< » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx