gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:29:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song: "The Spirit Of Rock And Roll"  (Read 2464 times)
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2021, 10:33:37 AM »

I am a proud owner of the Beach Boys DVD from the 25th anniversary concert at Hawaii in 1986. At the end of this concert they play the song "Spirit of Rock And Roll".

I really like this song and would like to purchase it. I looked for it on iTunes but couldn't find it. Does anybody know on what Beach Boys album that song is and where I can buy it? Thanks a lot.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 11:14:21 AM »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that the only Beach Boys album that contains a version of that song is "Songs From Here and Back," a 2006 release that the BBs did through Hallmark.
https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Here-Back-Beach-Boys/dp/B000JR4BWM

There are plenty of renditions on YouTube, though, such as:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I3A1B24Qn8

I freakin' love the song, too.  I can't listen to it without finding myself hours later muttering "the spirit the spirit the spirit the spirit the spirit of rock and roll"
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 11:21:15 AM »

Just recently a version from the 80s was uploaded to Brian's website:

https://www.brianwilson.com/1980s

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 01:08:47 AM »

I freakin' love the song, too.  I can't listen to it without finding myself hours later muttering "the spirit the spirit the spirit the spirit the spirit of rock and roll"

LOL, me too!

Thank you both of you!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 06:52:46 AM »

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that the only Beach Boys album that contains a version of that song is "Songs From Here and Back," a 2006 release that the BBs did through Hallmark.
https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Here-Back-Beach-Boys/dp/B000JR4BWM

That's correct.  He and his band re-recorded a pretty clunky version of it for that compilation. 

I never really understood the appeal of this song.  The only thing remarkable about it is that Bob Dylan appears in one version of it.  Otherwise it's a pretty forgettable song.  🤷‍♂️

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »

Well, everybody has his/her taste.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 09:21:19 AM »

By the way the BBs prerecorded a lot for that 86 special and I believe Brian’s vocals were fixed in post dubbing afterwards. I kind of like the song but the 86 special itself was pretty dreadful in my opinion. Really cheesy 80s-Joe Piscopo’s parts are really cringe inducing. Brian looks great but acts very stilted and ill at ease and the crowd looks like they were just there to be on TV rather than having any real love for the BBs
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »

By the way the BBs prerecorded a lot for that 86 special and I believe Brian’s vocals were fixed in post dubbing afterwards. I kind of like the song but the 86 special itself was pretty dreadful in my opinion. Really cheesy 80s-Joe Piscopo’s parts are really cringe inducing. Brian looks great but acts very stilted and ill at ease and the crowd looks like they were just there to be on TV rather than having any real love for the BBs

Oh god, the Piscopo stuff is awful. Also appearances from Gloria Loring and Belinda Carlisle who were clearly there to promote their own current singles rather than to actually pay tribute to the band. Just an extremely corny and cynical product of 1980s network TV. It does have its moments though, like Ray Charles singing “Sail On Sailor” and Carl singing “Heaven” in tribute to Dennis.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 12:09:01 AM »

I'm kind of obsessed with this song, haha - this should've been their 25th anniversary single. Their TV specials were all super cheesy but I like the campfire scenes they did a couple years later where Brian seems much more with it. I also like the 20th anniversary Long Beach concert even though it does have some major flaws.
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 01:51:05 AM »

Yes, it was great that they played "Heaven" to commemorate Dennis.

I think The Everly Brothers ("Getcha Back") and Three Dog Night ("Darlin") were pretty good, too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 02:03:02 AM »

Apart from the cheesines of the whole presentation, I think the most dreadful part are the pre-(or post-?)recorded vocals. I would love to hear Ray Charles with the Beach Boys but the version in the show sounds more like Ray Charles with Jeff Foskett to me. Nothing against Jeff, but I want to hear the Beach Boys.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 05:07:05 AM »

I would also agree that the pre/post recorded vocals are just awful. They sound great, but it doesn't even sound like the Boys. It truly does sound like Jeff Fosket....just listen to Surfer Girl...outside of Brian's vocal on the solo, it's all Jeff.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »

Two moments that are way too short and to me are incredible little pieces .. Carl on Friends and Lovers with Gloria Loring and Glen Campbell doing a little bit of In Cars .
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 12:20:42 AM »

Two moments that are way too short and to me are incredible little pieces .. Carl on Friends and Lovers with Gloria Loring and Glen Campbell doing a little bit of In Cars .

Yeah, absolutely!! Those two in full length would have been absolutely fantastic!
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 04:41:05 AM »

Here you can see Three Dog Night performing "Darlin'"     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noq1mFWYmAs

And here the Everly Brothers                                             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52gr8OQRac

I think those were not pre-recorded.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx