gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:47:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is 'Sounds of Summer' out of print  (Read 1795 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »

Just curious because you currently can't buy it new on Amazon

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 02:58:16 PM »

It is number 122 on billboard this work.  Here is a story about it back from May:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2021/05/09/michael-jackson-bob-marley-drake-and-the-beach-boys-5-albums-to-watch-on-the-billboard-200/?sh=69f0795c4d72
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 04:00:41 PM »

That could just be downloads..  I don't know,  its weird you can't just purchase it on amazon that must impact sales.

Been like that a few months now

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 05:38:27 AM »

Seems to be available now:

https://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Summer-Very-Beach-Capitol/dp/B019GR4O0E/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Sounds+Of+Summer&qid=1628253319&sr=8-3

It says 14 left in stock, which is not an untypical message to see, and surely they will replenish their supply. This is a fairly common occurrence...something sells out temporarily, then they get resupplied.

EDIT: granted, some copies available to buy are "used", but there are also "new" copies currently available. This situation probably wanes and waxes, but surely has to do with the current season (summer) and the fact that it's on the charts (meaning, it's selling). Demand is likely enhanced by the return of the 24x7 Sirius XM Beach Boys channel.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 05:41:16 AM by c-man » Logged
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 11:53:17 AM »

Seems to be available now:

https://www.amazon.com/Sounds-Summer-Very-Beach-Capitol/dp/B019GR4O0E/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Sounds+Of+Summer&qid=1628253319&sr=8-3

It says 14 left in stock, which is not an untypical message to see, and surely they will replenish their supply. This is a fairly common occurrence...something sells out temporarily, then they get resupplied.

EDIT: granted, some copies available to buy are "used", but there are also "new" copies currently available. This situation probably wanes and waxes, but surely has to do with the current season (summer) and the fact that it's on the charts (meaning, it's selling). Demand is likely enhanced by the return of the 24x7 Sirius XM Beach Boys channel.

Those are third-party sellers. It does, in fact, appear that the Sounds of Summer compilation is currently not in print on CD in the US. I don't know if that means it's been permanently discontinued (I doubt it though). For a while Amazon.ca was listing Sounds of Summer as a "manufactured on demand" CD-R title, as opposed to a factory-pressed CD.

The LP version is still in the catalogue.

It is interesting that "Amazon's Choice" for the Beach Boys has shifted over to the 2012 "Greatest Hits" album with "That's Why God Made the Radio" as the leadoff track.

I tend to assume that its continued chart action has a lot to do with streaming services associating single-song streams with that specific compilation.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 09:05:15 PM »

It really does look like it is. That is ridiculous

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 08:04:01 PM »

I was out and about today and made a point to look out for this compilation. I bought mine at Target in probably 2006/2007 and have always thought of it as THE definitive compilation. However, my findings today proved otherwise. I was able to find Vinyl Copies at Target and Barnes & Noble, as mentioned above however, I did not encounter this CD ANYWHERE! Again, as mentioned above, the 2012 "Greatest Hits" was seen on CD in countless locations...Barnes & Noble, Target, Wal Mart, FYE...probably others I'm forgetting! For what it's worth, the ONLY other CD and/or Vinyl I encountered from The BB's today was of course...Pet Sounds!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 06:26:36 AM »

I'm not sure of the status on this, but I do know that you can't always use Amazon as an indicator of what's still in print. They sometimes have long gaps of unavailability on mainstream releases from major distributors, either simply due to not ordering as often, or in some cases because they sporadically enter into short-term beefs with distributors on cutting deals.

In any event, the "Sounds of Summer" CD is currently available brand new from the Target and Walmart websites for $6.97, in both cases directly from those sellers (not third party sellers). It's also available direct from Barnes & Noble, for $13.99.

If you're finding the vinyl at Target and not the CD, that has more to do with Target (and Barnes & Noble) stocking more vinyl and less CDs as time goes by, certainly when it comes to old bands/albums. There is essentially no national chain store left, only indie record shops, where you could ever reliably find much of anything on CD outside of the biggest, newest mainstream releases.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx