gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:53:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love and Carl's last tour  (Read 4959 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »

Check out the Marks/Stebbins book, which goes into this to some degree. Mike wanted his company to take over production of Beach Boys shows/tours. This would basically entail the touring operation being run by Mike's company, which would in turn make everybody in the band employees of Mike's company. This is ultimately more or less what happened and how Mike operates his tours now. Al reportedly (very understandably) did not like the idea of such a setup, where he would essentially become an employee in a band he owned an equal stake in.

It already happened on a much smaller and different scale when Mike invested his money into live sound equipment for touring back in the late 60's and had the band essentially paying him rental fees to use it. And yes, it would have been absurd for Al or Brian to become employees of Mike's company decades later when they were equal shareholders and had board-member votes with Brother. It's crazy to think such a plan would even be put on the table. Pure power grab, and Al seemed to be a main obstacle to Mike getting his way especially in the 90's regarding the band, a lot of that time minus Brian.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
juliansuess
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 12:59:53 AM »

When your cousin who you grew up with your entire life is battling cancer, and still wanting to perform as a Beach Boy as long as he could despite needing oxygen breaks during the shows, I DON'T think the way to show caring and concern involves sending your corporation a letter with an ultimatum saying essentially either he leaves or I leave. I'm guessing most normal, rational people wouldn't do that in similar circumstances. I'm sure the fans who saw Carl's last tour are glad Mike didn't get his way that time.

Interesting too how Mike's book makes no mention of his letter/ultimatum at all. If it were coming from a place of "tough love" or whatever Lott was calling it during damage control mode, I'd think Mike would have included it in his book.

I totally agree. All the years of playing in the same band and being cousins didn't mean much to Mike. All that counted was that at that time he didn't want Carl on stage, and he ruthlessly went about achieving that, no matter what. How Carl felt about being basically discarded didn't matter to Mike.

For me this is not about "hating Mike Love no matter what". It is about how you treat a terminally ill long time band member and cousin with dignity.

The fact that Mike love in his book didn't mention the ultimatum shows me that he is not an honest person, either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 01:29:25 AM by juliansuess » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx