gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:47:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Brian Wilson-Mike Love collaboration?  (Read 4204 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »

There are a lot of terrific candidates, which would you guys select? In terms of songs on which they're the only two with writing credits.

Good Vibrations and I Get Around have to be way up there.

Side two of Today and Summer Days both have a ton of great stuff.

Post-Smile, I love Let The Wind Blow, Do It Again, All I Wanna Do, Cool Cool Water, That Same Song, Let Us Go On This Way, Goin On.

What are your favorites?
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 05:30:59 AM »

My favorite is The Warmth of the Sun.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »

Well obviously it's Good Vibrations.

This gives me the chance to mention an early?? pressing of GV I once saw for sale without Mike Love listed on the composer credit. We're there many of these?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:19:29 PM by thetojo » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 08:42:08 PM »

Off the top of my head:

Please Let Me Wonder
She Knows Me Too Well
Catch a Wave
Be True to Your School
Let the Wind Blow
Aren't You Glad
California Girls
It's OK
Do It Again
The Warmth of the Sun
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 11:46:00 PM »

Oh, holy freakazoid, everyone knows it's "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson."  3D

For an actual singing collaboration (instead of however one attempts to classify the above...), it's "Devoted to You."
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 08:57:48 AM »

"The Warmth of the Sun." For the melody and for Mike's lyrics, which turn a tragedy into something positive.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 09:45:51 AM »

GV and the Wild Honey LP
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 01:27:34 PM »

GV and the Wild Honey LP

Yes!!!!
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 08:08:55 PM »

I've got to go with Good Vibrations and The Warmth of the Sun. The lyrics to Good Vibrations are poetry, and the lyrics to The Warmth of the Sun so perfectly fit the sorrowful, reflective melody.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 02:14:32 PM »

Matchpoint of Our Love

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 08:36:07 PM »

Endless amounts but you do have to say 'good vibrations'

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 06:38:21 PM »

GV and the Wild Honey LP

Wild Honey LP my vote.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »

Matchpoint of Our Love

"Love is still the only game in town" is totally stating the obvious, it's plain to see that Mike is the one who was and will always be pre-ordained to have the god-given right to cowrite all the songs with Brian Wilson, he's the only game in town after guys like Van have been rightly chased away

To be serious for a moment, horrible lyrics aside, this song is utterly great in every way. I'm absolutely convinced if it had decent lyrics written by somebody else, it would be known as a minor BBs classic. It somehow bridges both yacht rock and disco in a brilliant way.

I can stomach the bad lyrics and it's still a classic in my book, but I just mean with non embarrassing lyrics this song would have some public respect because musically and vocally it's absolutely outtasight.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »

Matchpoint of Our Love

"Love is still the only game in town" is totally stating the obvious, it's plain to see that Mike is the one who was and will always be pre-ordained to have the god-given right to cowrite all the songs with Brian Wilson, he's the only game in town after guys like Van have been rightly chased away

To be serious for a moment, horrible lyrics aside, this song is utterly great in every way. I'm absolutely convinced if it had decent lyrics written by somebody else, it would be known as a minor BBs classic. It somehow bridges both yacht rock and disco in a brilliant way.

I can stomach the bad lyrics and it's still a classic in my book, but I just mean with non embarrassing lyrics this song would have some public respect because musically and vocally it's absolutely outtasight.
I am not native in English, which is propably the reason I've always LOVED this tune. I don't mind the lyrics, I see why a lot of people find them horrible, but I listen more the music and everything about this tune just is so classic to me (though obviosluy not the lyrics, they are just OK to me). Brian sings so damn well on it, the production is great clean late 70s style and the melody is so beautiful.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »

Matchpoint of Our Love

I am not native in English, which is propably the reason I've always LOVED this tune. I don't mind the lyrics, I see why a lot of people find them horrible, but I listen more the music and everything about this tune just is so classic to me (though obviosluy not the lyrics, they are just OK to me). Brian sings so damn well on it, the production is great clean late 70s style and the melody is so beautiful.

Agreed completely
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 03:51:08 PM »

I know I'll probably get flack for this but "When Girls Get Together" is probably my favorite colab between Mike and Cousin Brian. I love the circle of life nature of the lyrics and the music is so joyous.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 10:45:05 PM »

I know I'll probably get flack for this but "When Girls Get Together" is probably my favorite colab between Mike and Cousin Brian. I love the circle of life nature of the lyrics and the music is so joyous.

The question was "greatest" not your favourite - so you deserve what you get.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2021, 12:14:25 PM »

California Girls - a masterpiece
Kiss Me Baby - another masterpiece that highlights the contrast between Brian's and Mike's voices. Terrific bass vocal and lyrics.
Warmth Of The Sun - brilliant.
Aren't You Glad - The studio version is a favorite, the Live In London version is one of the best live tracks the band ever released.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 02:50:21 PM »

What makes something great can be subjective. For me if something is my favorite, it's great. So there.  Tongue
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »

Matchpoint of Our Love

I’m with you. Frankly put I usually couldn’t give two shits about lyrics if the music’s good , as long as it’s not spouting Megan Thee Stallion trash, Toby Keith  right wing bullshit, or overly pretentious “look at how intelligent I am , you plebes “ circle jerk nonsense. I can’t relate to The Beach Boys early material lyrically; I live in Houston and the closest beach here is disgusting , and summer is my least favorite time of year (I hate hot weather)….but it’s the music, the vocals, just the overall sound that moves me. It’s what I vibe with. To quote Martin Gore…words are meaningless/and forgettable. People lie with words. Chords don’t bullshit; the mixolydian scale will not lead you astray for instance.  So for this, I don’t care what Brian’s singing about; he sounds really good and I dig the melody. That’s enough for me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2021, 01:20:46 PM »

What makes something great can be subjective. For me if something is my favorite, it's great. So there.  Tongue

Appreciate what you're saying, but even the instrumental track of that stinker makes me gag.

No offense to anyone who loves it.
waketheworld
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 07:32:36 PM »

This will be a minority opinion, but what the heck....one of my favorite collaborations is Little St. Nick.  Mike's lyrics are as cool as anything he ever wrote.  I have too many others to list, just wanted to throw that out there.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »

if Greatest == liked by most people, critics and their biggest hit, then Good Vibrations obviously.

And i do remember in the "what are mike loves best lyrics?" thread or posts ive read everyone says Good Vibrations...He really did do a great job with that...It was prior to his constant callbacks of their previous hits...it wasnt "im picking up good vibrations, shes giving me california girls..." or some crap

Everyone can have a different opinion, obviously, but i agree with the other poster who said its obviously Good Vibrations. Just going by what the chart success, sales and critical opinion. on Rolling Stones greatest songs on all time its listed, i think, (too lazy to google) at number 2 after Like a rolling stone.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 03:44:34 PM »

Gettin’ Hungry
Mona
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »

I am with you on this one. This song gives me goosebumps every time! It has that genuine BW sincerity to it. I love the vocal. I love the production. I never understand why this song gets bashed so much. This one and "Somewhere Near Japan" to me are the hidden gems of the '80s/'90s Beach Boys output (scarce as it is). (And I do realize this song dates from much earlier). So underappreciated.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx